• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Keeping a lid on it

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
While I know the best practice is to clean the rim of the paint jar before putting the lid back on, let's just say I'm not well disciplined on this. The cardboard gasket inside the screw cap gets all screwed up, a mess, the plastic lining gets stuck to the jar and you end up with a bigger mess. What can you do besides buying a new jar of paint??

Is there some common item out there that we can replace the gasket once one goes bad?

Caps from the plastic soda bottles work on PollyScale bottles, haven't tried them on others.

I usually wipe the lid threads with alcohol pads before I put them back on the bottle. It helps me...

You could buy parafilm, a little stretch, let it reast then cover the mouth and screw on the lid. You could go to the pharmacy and buy some pill bottles and decant the amount of paint you will use into it. Then when project is all done you can turf it. The other paint still in the bottle stays untainted and ready for the next use. Cap has minimal paint build up. Remember you should never pour thinned paint back into a bottle as you make it less reliable for next time its used.
James

I usually wipe the lid threads with alcohol pads before I put them back on the bottle. It helps me...

That's a great preventative care tip, problem is, damage is done for several jars I have.

Good tip James! :pilot

Back