• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JU188 Mistel project

So this thing hasn't fallen back as far as I thought it would :D , I have been playing around a bit on this one, for instance just had a relaxing evening hollowing out 24 exhaust stubs..... :gogo and playing around with figuring out how I'm goig to make a fuselage extension and and.......sorry nothing done worth taking pics of, but I do have a question, I am thinking about what to use as a torpedo truck, an A-8, D-9, TA 152 C or H, any suggestions? and what would be the best kit of to get. Just thinkin ahead :frantic

:D

I'm not sure I understand the question :idonno but I could not vouch for the best of in 1/48 anyway.

Somehow Bob seems to have an answer .

Cheers, Christian B)

So this thing hasn't fallen back as far as I thought it would :D , I have been playing around a bit on this one, for instance just had a relaxing evening hollowing out 24 exhaust stubs..... :gogo and playing around with figuring out how I'm goig to make a fuselage extension and and.......sorry nothing done worth taking pics of, but I do have a question, I am thinking about what to use as a torpedo truck, an A-8, D-9, TA 152 C or H, any suggestions? and what would be the best kit of to get. Just thinkin ahead :frantic

:D

I'm not sure I understand the question :idonno but I could not vouch for the best of in 1/48 anyway.

Somehow Bob seems to have an answer .

Cheers, Christian B)

Oh I'm just floating around ideas as to what to use as a parasite fighter, the plan is to load hang a torpedo on it. A D-9 sounds good, but as I'm no expert in the series i am just wondering what would be the most practical version to use for a low level torpedo run, D-9, or maybe D-12 or 13. or would one of the TA series be a better choice, and if so, which one. I know Dragon does a torpedo version, but, quite frankly, the kit isn't all that good so I'm just thinking what would be the best kit of what ever to purchase.

Another thing I'm giving a bit of thought to is, being a '46 project, what carrier based fighter were the Brits working up to and may have had, in theory at least, in '46?

What a/c to hang a torpedo off? The FW 190 A5 and A8s carried them. No Doras that I know. Very few D-11s were built and the D-12 never really got anywhere as the D-13 was chosen instead and very few of those built. I dont think the TAs would work as they were pure fighters and depending on which one they were high altitude. Now if its for Luft 46 I would probably look at an Aroado Ar-234 as something plausible.
Watching with interest.
James

I mostly agree with those thoughts although I'm having problems trying to carry a fish , and even more slowing enough to drop one.

Just thinking out loud . The A-5/8 makes more since but it seems they had a special rig for the tail wheel for ground clearance .

Cheers, Christian B)

I think speed wise, a drogue chute to slow and stabilize the torp, and or a frangible box structure like the US used to prevent break up of the top at high speed. Actually I could see stabilizing wings and a drogue chute. Chute deploys to slow torp and wings keep it proper horizontal position for entry and shed on impact with the water leaving torp to run true.
Just some thoughts.

I think speed wise, a drogue chute to slow and stabilize the torp, and or a frangible box structure like the US used to prevent break up of the top at high speed. Actually I could see stabilizing wings and a drogue chute. Chute deploys to slow torp and wings keep it proper horizontal position for entry and shed on impact with the water leaving torp to run true.
Just some thoughts.

Seems to me they were working on something with wings but have not read about others . Pretty much possible . Clever bunch.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hhhmmmmmm some good points,since it is a '46 concept feasible meets fantasy so actual is irrelevant :frantic , I suppose the TA series wouldn't be none to feasible as mods would be extensive, on the other hand refurbished burnt out 190 Ds(9/12/13 whatever would work best) would probably fill the bill. I do have a couple of standard torpedo's that came with the 188, but it would be interesting to have a late war model.
The concept is that this is a stopgap measure to deal with the British convoy small carriers. So say 3 mistels with 190 Torpedo bombers
parasites to perform hit and runs preferably against the carriers, being smaller and faster making them hard targets to detect and hit, and, should the need arise, preform as fighter defense for the high altitude 188, which should for all intents and purposes be long gone by the time the Torpedo hit the water.
After debating things for a while I settled on using jumo 213s for the 188s engine's, after doing a bit of research into German fuels, I found out what the difference's were, and now I've forgot mostly but no biggie ad I remember they are all compatible with the Jumos and BMW's so all is good there so the A's haven't been ruled out yet. For that model I think the Hasegawa would probably be the best, but for interest sake I wouldn't rule out the Eduard kit and having a few things opened up, could be fun :) . just wondering though, who makes the best kit of what for the long nose 190's?

Hhhmmmmmm some good points,since it is a '46 concept feasible meets fantasy so actual is irrelevant :frantic , I suppose the TA series wouldn't be none to feasible as mods would be extensive, on the other hand refurbished burnt out 190 Ds(9/12/13 whatever would work best) would probably fill the bill. I do have a couple of standard torpedo's that came with the 188, but it would be interesting to have a late war model.
The concept is that this is a stopgap measure to deal with the British convoy small carriers. So say 3 mistels with 190 Torpedo bombers
parasites to perform hit and runs preferably against the carriers, being smaller and faster making them hard targets to detect and hit, and, should the need arise, preform as fighter defense for the high altitude 188, which should for all intents and purposes be long gone by the time the Torpedo hit the water.

To further confuse/annoy you, the JU 188's were only produced in small number and were not issued to any particular squadron.
They were only a sprinkling amongst squadrons and were basically used for special purpose operations.

A better choice might have been a JU 388 since they were rolling off the assembly line late in the war. ( sorry ) Just dawned on me . . . :blush:

Cheers, Christian B)

Yes well actually that is what I was working on in 1/72 till I ran into canopy issues wich I still have to resolve....the problem there is that no one makes an affordable 388 in 1/48 that I could butcher to my hearts content, but I do have a 188 which has already sucumbed to the scaple :D

After looking around a while it appears that HobbyBoss made a 190 D-12 which comes complete with a torpedo....how good is that :good: , now all I have to do is find one when I can afford to buy it, in the mean time moving forward with the construction of the lower component. I've decided these were constructed out of recycled JU 188's and I've decided to go with the 213's for power. Any way here's a quick pic of the progress....

004~0.JPG

002~0.JPG

:D :drinks

Just a small update, I find it annoying when you get ALMOST all the parts needed to build something like a different set of engines in this case. There is only two pieces for 4 engines in which to slide the prop shaft into that will attach the prop to the engine so it will spin. So I thought I'd see if I could come up with something I could insert the prop shaft into to save the other bits just for the fun of it.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0480~0.JPG

while they don't spin they are a snug enough fit to not fall out and still be removed easily, also there is a lot of see through effect with these engines so spent a bit of time blocking that off

IMG_0483~0.JPG

:D :drinks

Bordem and the internet, if left unchecked, could potentially wipe out a guys bank account.....
Both Antares and Airmodel make resin and photoetch BT 1400 torpedo's with mounts for the FW 190, A's mind you but I see no issues with using them on the D's. They are 1/48 and 1/72 respectively. At least now the option is open if I want to consider some alternatives and I'm not totally stuck with trying to locate a specific kit.
Since locating any of the desirable parts does not look promising I'll probably and up biting the bullet and hack up one of my other fuselages and then see if I can scratch up a set of 801Ts with the leftovers :D

:drinks

Back