• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Japanese Builds

centaur567

I know that the campaign is over. I thought that these would fit well here. Both are 1/48th scale by Hasagawa. Gary

h63e3f18.jpg

h7e06a93.jpg

hcb6beb2.jpg

hd34ffe1.jpg

h78ae47a.jpg

hf95c659.jpg

h67088fa.jpg

h517ff38.jpg

hd1dccf8.jpg

h75e0cc6.jpg

h3d30f4c.jpg

The campaign started on Dec 7 2015 and ends Dec 7 2016 which is the 75th Anniversary Gary. Only thing is that you have to have the start photos with some kind of date stamp showing the unbuilt kit within the time frame.

Definitely nice looking planes (y) I don't believe I have seen the red tail version before.

The campaign started on Dec 7 2015 and ends Dec 7 2016 which is the 75th Anniversary Gary. Only thing is that you have to have the start photos with some kind of date stamp showing the unbuilt kit within the time frame.

Definitely nice looking planes (y) I don't believe I have seen the red tail version before.

thanks Paul, Gary there's still plenty of time to build something related to this campaign. Looking forward to it. :popcorn

Hi, I wasn't aiming for a campaign ribbon knowing that they were built out of the time frame. I just thought that the fit into the theme. Now I can include my other Japanese planes here so it all works out. Hope I didn't step on any toes. Thanks Gary

No problem Gary, just like to keep the completed threads for those campaigns. Looking forward to your other work and feel free to jump in on any of the active campaigns. :good:

Thanks Christian, The Kate carried Comander Mitsuo Fuchida on the first wave of the attack. The Val was shot down into the channel near the Pan Am Airways dock. It was piloted by PO3c Noboru Sakaguchi.The radio/obs was Nagaaki Asahi. More can be found at this site.
j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=6676.0

hb0a04a9.jpg

hfa0feb6.jpg

h352b5d8.jpg

h131c187.JPG

Thanks Christian, The Kate carried Comander Mitsuo Fuchida on the first wave of the attack. The Val was shot down into the channel near the Pan Am Airways dock. It was piloted by PO3c Noboru Sakaguchi.The radio/obs was Nagaaki Asahi. More can be found at this site.
j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=6676.0

Thanks. I am familiar with the web site but I am surprised to see the paint job here .

I have not yet attempted the paint work on the val . Still on my list of to do's but it may be a bit tricky . There's a least two builders here that would like to know how to go about it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys, The color on the Val came from a piece of fabric that was recovered from the plane that crashed into the harbor. The Vals and Nates were hastily painted before the attack. The color varied depending where they flew from in Japan and what and how much paint was on hand. Some of the Vals were painted the green/grey over all similar to the Zero color and some were painted a mud color, which mine is. The Nates were painted a dark green on the upper surface in varying amounts. I've seen models of the different Japanese carriers and the variation of colors of the different types is interesting. Gary

Thanks guys, The color on the Val came from a piece of fabric that was recovered from the plane that crashed into the harbor. The Vals and Nates were hastily painted before the attack. The color varied depending where they flew from in Japan and what and how much paint was on hand. Some of the Vals were painted the green/grey over all similar to the Zero color and some were painted a mud color, which mine is. The Nates were painted a dark green on the upper surface in varying amounts. I've seen models of the different Japanese carriers and the variation of colors of the different types is interesting. Gary

What paint did you use for the mud color Gary ?

Nate ? Surely not as a part of the Pear Harbor story ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Christian, The color for the Vale was eyeball mixed. It's close to panzer yellow. The Japanese called it I3. "rendition of I3 as used on early Nakajima-built Zeros as well as some Aichi 99s shot down at Pearl Harbor. I could not find any FS colors that are close." Quote from Greg Springer j-planes.com . See the photo of the fabric in the above post.
The Kate carried Commander Mitsuo Fuchida on the first wave of the attack. Gary
hd99f928.jpg

hd99f928.jpg

I see . Eyeballing usually makes me wonder where it came from . Not that I don't mix paints :frantic

From here, your build reminds me of a wash over a grayish color.

I have heard of this color before but this is the first photo I have come across >looks a lot like Gunze Hemp but with a bit of green.

Thanks for the info . Cheers, Christian B)

I does have a bit of green in the mix. I used white oil paint to high light the different panels, but it does have a hempish/brownish color to it. Not the usual grey that one sees in the movies. Gary

Very nice job Gary! I really like the Val! :notworthy :notworthy

These 1/48 models do allow for a lot of detailing. I like very much the Amei-Ro Varnish effect on the Val.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex, The Vals from the carrier Shōkaku, were painted I3 or mud color, overall as a last minute camouflage order. They used whatever color that was available at the land base they were training from. Gary

h7e3fb0d.jpg

Chip 17 - 'Nakajima Amber Grey (Ame-iro)' ACJ17. White Ensign's rendition of I3 as used on early Nakjima-built Zeros as well as some Aichi 99s shot down at Pearl Harbor. I could not find any FS colors that are close. I applied a gloss clearcoat to this sample. It is lighter and more yellow than the full scale color, labeled 'Naka Zero' that I matched to an artifact from an early Nakajima-built Zero. This is a good scale-effect color for those subjects in 1/48 or smaller scales. Quote by Greg Springer
http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/gregspringer/wem-review/wem-review.htm

These aircraft look great Gary! I have a Val in the works I really need to get back to.

I'll check out your paint suggestions in more detail later when I have more time.

Awesome!

Back