• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

In-progress pics of 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9

Thanks for the comment Terry!

No, its not the Fw 190D-9, this is the little 1/72 scale Airfix Bf 109K-4 I am building at the same time as the Dora. Here you can see the entire camo pattern is painted on. Most was airbrushed freehanded, the JG 27 green RVD band was masked and painted while the dark green hard edged mottles on the fin and rudder were hand painted.
The prop and spinner are built, painted, and weathered. This is an early production Bf 109K-4 and had a long service life and was heavily weathered when it was photographed at wars end so my model will be getting plenty of weathering. :)
404155846.jpg

404155848.jpg

Both the big Dora and this 109 will be getting a gloss coat soon. Also underway but not pictured is a weathering experiment on an old model part, pics might be posted if the experiment is interesting enough.

Matrixone

Thanks Sherman and Dave!

After the clear gloss coat is dry I can start putting on the decals. I should have some new pics in a couple days.

Matrixone

Just finished putting on the last of the decals two hours ago....
404221174.jpg

404221173.jpg

I like how colorful the D-9 is, not bad for a drab Luftwaffe bird. B)

After the decals dry for a day I will spray on a coat of semi-gloss flat clear to blend in the decals and get the models ready for the oil paint weathering.

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

More in-progress pics, I have been working on weathering the wheels and a few other smaller parts, also the topsides of both models were given some faded paint effects with oil paints.
The wheels have been dirtied up quite a bit because this Dora was used on the Eastern Front and operated from a crude dirt airstrip that did get muddy at times during the spring rains.
404289640.jpg

404289638.jpg

...and here is the Bf 109K-4
404289635.jpg

This 109 will get some heavy exhaust stains along the fuselage sides.

Matrixone

Thanks joe and James!

The finish looks a bit on the streaky side right now, my plan is for the final clear flat coat to smooth things out and make them look more natural.

Matrixone

Back