• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

In-progress pics of 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9

Very cool. Interesting to see the prep work before painting. I've never done preshading. Maybe try that on the 109 and see what happens.
James

Thanks Moon Puppy and Paul.

Moon Puppy,
I started using the white highlights on the bottom of some of the Komets I built earlier this year and liked the result and will be doing this from now on, but like any weathering technique on aircraft models it must be very subtle or it will look rather horrible.

Matrixone

Well I like it, hope you don't mind me giving it a shot do ya?

Paul,
Over at that other site that shall be nameless I posted a thread about how I painted one of my backdrops, you will have to go back a full year (or more) in the in-progress forum but it should be there.

Moon Puppy,
Feel free to try the highlighting effect with the white paint, as far as I know I am the first to try this but others may have beaten me to the punch without me knowing about it.
If you looked at my in-progress pics of the 1/48 scale Komet and two 1/72 scale Komets I built earlier this year you can see how the highlighting effect works. One advantage to it is if you should not like how it looks its simple to just paint over it and start again or leave it plain. If I were to do be able to paint the Komets again I would have left just a wee bit more of the highlighting effect showing.

Matrixone

The pre-shading and highlights have been greatly toned down...it looks a little too strong at the moment but after the rest of the camo and weathering are done on the models the pre-shading will blend in nicely.
404026192.jpg

404026191.jpg

The Fw 190D-9 will get some masking and parts of the wings undersurfaces will get some Alclad II painted on. The 109 will start getting some camo colors put on very soon.

Matrixone

Yes Focke-Wulfs near the end of the war were starting to be delivered with parts of the wings undersurfaces unpainted as a way to conserve paint supplies and reduce weight. Some Fw 190s continued to be built with fully painted wing undersurfaces...much would depend on which subcontractor built the wings.

Matrixone

Thanks Dave and Paul!

More work done on the large Dora, the Alclad II was sprayed on the wings undersurfaces and half of the lower engine cowl. After waiting a few minutes I put some dampened salt on the Alclad II engine and then painted over the cowl with the late war light green undersurface color and then removed the salt, I am trying to replicate an engine cowl that had been painted without the proper surface preperation and had the paint flake off.

404039785.jpg

404039784.jpg

Next I will start painting the uppersurface colors. :woohoo:

Matrixone

This is going to be a real beaut Les but I do have one complaint or question; could you please photograph the builds with a less blue background because it would be easier for some of us ancient dudes to see the details better. The blue kinda washes out the details a bit. :blink

Paul,
I used a white background to set the model on, if I would have used a darker background the very pale colored model would have shown even less detail than what you have seen. What few details that are visable on the model are very muted and hard to see even in person.

The good news is I will be painting the uppersurface colors and when I take the next round of pics they will be taken against a darker background. :D

Matrixone

Thank you James and Dusan.

Another in-progress pic, this time showing the white highlights I added to the wings uppersurface just before I add the darker pre-shading.
404048596.jpg

To add white highlights you don't need any patterns like what I did in the above pic, I usually spend a little time each week practicing painting with my airbrush and decided to use my practice time this week on the white highlights...I am interested to see what this might look like after all the painting is done, if it looks good I will be doing this more often. I did not want the highlights on the model to look too similar and like the random look to it.

Matrixone

The dark gray pre-shading has been added, much of it is near the wing roots.

404048598.jpg

404048593.jpg

Next will be covering up the highlights and pre-shading with medium gray paint and RLM 83.

Matrixone

Back