• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

In-progress pics of 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9

And here is the results of painting over the highlights and pre-shading. Painting the uppersurface camouflage was not so free and easy like it was painting on the white highlights...I had to be a lot more precise this time to not only paint the camouflage pattern but also not cover up to much of the highlights and pre-shading.
404060124.jpg

404060122.jpg

Also you can see I painted the uppersurfaces of the wings on the 1/72 scale Bf 109K-4. I usually will paint the wings and fuselages on my models at different times to give me something to hold onto without risking putting fingerprints on the model, I hate when that happens!

Matrixone

Thanks Gary and Moon Puppy!

Both these models will be getting some heavy weathering done to them so the patchy looking paint job will hardly be noticed later on.

Matrixone

Great stuff, getting an even light coat over pre shade so you don't completely cover it in places is never easy ( near imposable for me :) ) Love the worn look so following this closely
Well done (y)

The camo is painted on the airframe, this took longer than I expected because of the number of different colors on the fuselage.

You will notice each side of the fuselage has a slightly different style of the camo painting, it was standard practice in most German aircraft factories to have a painter on each side of the fuselage paint the mottling and I tried to copy this on my model. The camouflage pattern is the same but each painter had a slightly different interpretation of how the mottling was to be done.
The heavy mottling on my model looks too heavy but is actually typical of Fieseler built Fw 190D-9's which is what my model is being built as.

404113746.jpg

404113745.jpg

The light gray color on the wings uppersurfaces is not supposed to be RLM 75 grayviolet, instead it is a custom mix of paint to represent the light gray color that was used on some late war Doras and is mentioned in Jerry Crandall's Dora book Vol. II on pages 310 and 311.

Right now I am masking and painting the RVD band on the fuselage.

Matrixone

Yep that trout is definitely of legal size lol. Looks very good Les. Those mottles have always scared me away from German birds.

Ryan,
Don't shy away from painting the mottles, it just takes a little practice to find the right combination of PSI and thinned paint that works the best with your airbrush. Feel free to send me a PM if you ever need help.

More painting done on the Dora, this time I masked and painted on the KG(j)55 RVD band on the fuselage. I like the contrast of sharpness and color of the band against the soft sprayed camo colors. The B/W spinner spiral will also improve the looks of this model. :D
404123822.jpg

404123812.jpg

Matrixone

Back