• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Gothic Line Panther turret bunker

Very nice! I've got a dio idea in mind where I plan on using the same kind of foam for the ground on mine. Used some awhile back to create a brick paver road and the stuff worked great, very easy to cut & scribe.

Nice work Tim.

There are many photos of Panther turrets with the barrel either draped with a cam net or wrapped with one with added foliage. Crews often spread nets and/or ground cover over the concrete base and turret for better concealment. I have seen some pics were the crew secured branches to the turret to breakup the outline.

The crews in some positions also dug a shallow trench and lined it wth sand bags to lower the barrel into to hide its shadow from aerial observation and reduce the strain on the elevation mechanism. All these measures depended on how industrious the crew and field engineers were.

I'm too late with the crew info, but the three man crew was usually made up of artillerymen, grenadiers, infantry or fallschirmjager formed into a Festungs (Panther-Turm) Kompanie usually consisting of 12 turrets. These units stayed with the emplacement when Divisions were moved in and out of the line and absorbed by the incoming unit.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Adam, James and Rich.
Adam, the foam is a miracle material for sure.
Good info Rich. I think these turret bunkers are interesting. They seem to be alot of work for something that would eventually be over run. But then anything built for battle doesn't come with a longevity warranty.
I'm thinking I will add camo netting to the scene. Also will plant Bob's shrub.
that reminds me...on our farm we had a farmhand who's last name was Hedge. When his son came to work there too we called him Shrub ;)

Tim

Back