• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter' * * F I N I S H E D * *

ij001

...and we're off on another adventure in plastic.

This is the relatively recent 1:48 Kinetic kit which I'm building for the 'Conflict in Vietnam' GB over at Kiwi Modeller.

h07f149a.JPG

h5377bfb.JPG

hce5aaec.JPG

Because I'm doing an early F-5A, almost all of the side console detail has had to be removed, only the throttle quadrant remains, and ALL of the IP detail including the late style gunsight mount and controls. All of these are going to be replaced with Eduard etch. In the second photo, I've simply placed the canopy hinge mechanism, I'll leave that off until the end and drop it in place as part of the final assembly.

The Eduard set also includes some very nice seat details which I've already started adding as you can see in the top photo. Next I'll respray the pit to match more closely the etch and reduce the contrast.

h16c7bd4.jpg

With some luck it will look a little like this when it's all done. As ever please feel free to make any comments or ask any questions.

AFN

Ian.

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

All of the wings, flaps, slats & rear fuselage can be built as one big sub-assembly. I think that's great, like armour modelling.

h1fe5bc3.jpg

h731974a.jpg

May be get back to it tomorrow, work & weather depending...

Ian.

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

The Tinker Toy is coming along nicely. Did you catch that the kit comes with 2 LH tip tanks?

Cheers,
Rich

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

Great start. Here's a web site your might find interesting for VNAF birds. Gary

http://www.vnafmamn.com/vnaf_decals.html

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

Thanks guys:
Rich - Yep I'd read that in a review but TBH I'm happy to soldier-on and not sweat-it.
Gary - Interesting site, may take a stroll over there another time, maybe if I do a Skyraider or an A-37. Thanks for the link.

Hope to get it ready for paint by the end of the week. AFN

Ian.

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

The Tinker Toy is coming along nicely. Did you catch that the kit comes with 2 LH tip tanks?

Cheers,
Rich

:blink :blink

I didn't realize that. Think this is the one I built for the Gate Guard...that I never finished... :blush:

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

Cheers,
Rich

:blink :blink

I didn't realize that. Think this is the one I built for the Gate Guard...that I never finished... :blush:

With some surgery. the attachment slot can be altered to get the proper nose down attitude of the tip tank, however the tank will be upside down with the access panels now on the underside.

The other option is to contact Lucky Model and ask for Sprue E from the F-5B kit that contains a RH tank. Last I heard they were charging $7.00 for that.

Cheers,
Rich

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

I guess I had the F-5B then because i don't recall having to do any surgery to my kit.

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

Some more progress:

hf64a272.jpg

h4583d16.jpg

hf56b1cf.jpg

Eduard etch in the pit, including throttles and replaced gunsight controls.

And sandwhiched between the fuselage halves, all very neat and no fit issues to be dealt with.

h4a33e7c_2016-12-04.jpg

h1161396.jpg

h47ddc17.jpg

Glued the hinge mechanism to the rear of the seat then dropped that sub-assembly in to place to check the fit. Still no problems so I'm very happy with the build so far.

hcf64762.jpg

hcf217d5.jpg

Taped together to check alignment and it looks pretty good to my eye. More through the week, thanks for looking-in.

h23bc8af.jpg

h642b560.jpg

Ian.

F-5A 'Freedom Fighter'

...so not as much of a 'gap', more of a 'yawning chasm' !!

h7b97f24.jpg

ha030355.jpg

Still, didn't take more than a couple of plastic card inserts, some CA glue, Green Stuff and lot's of wet'n dry to sort it all out. As you can see in the following photos quite a lot of putty is needed to blend everything together - the reason it takes so much blending is the 'modular' approach to the breakdown of the kit - Kinetic obviously planned from the outset to get as much mileage out of the common wings / rear fuselage components as they could, which meant that the alternative noses, underfuselage sections, engine vents etc, etc could be swapped in to the F-5B kit - some fit 'compromises' are almost inevitable.

Personally this doesn't bother me in the slightest, the plastic (very reminiscent of Hasegawa) is strong and thin so is very easy to work with. The ma-hoooo-sive gap behind the intakes is easily sorted, and let's be honest if you want an F-5A/B/C in your collection, there aren't too many alternatives, so suck-it-up and get on with it !!

hbd2dc34.jpg

h8cb7501.jpg

h4525e23.jpg

So after an uninterrupted two-and-a-half hour session this morning, including all the rubbing down, it is actually ready for primer !! - Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, more as the week goes on.

Ian.

Back