• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DT-75 1:35 Scale Red-Iron-Models

It recently occurred to me that I have been a forum member for about a year now and have not really contributed much. My threads come as slow as my model builds these days!

So I had documented and completed this little resin tractor kit from Red Iron Models.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

The kit offers the option of the farm tractor configuration, or a bulldozer. It seems that there are far more in service as farm machines, so that what I opted to build.

Out of the box, a lot of resin, and a lot of thick mounted blocks to extricate them from.

DT75 start by Jason, on Flickr

For roughing out the heavy stuff I break out the Dremel with the diamond wheel. It makes quick work of the heavy stuff, but I don't dare do it indoors...it's a MESSY affair. And if you know resin, the dust is toxic *cough...cough*

After some careful schnitzeling with the Dremel, and saws and files, the frame came together.

Tracks. Somewhere between Russia and New Jersey, one section of track evaporated. Thankfully, Red Iron was quick and courteous to respond with a new replacement section. This was additionally good, as it gave me a sample part to test how I was going to get them off the thick block. This is one time where I think individual links might have been a more welcome solution. The final track were super delicate...

DT-75 tracks by Jason, on Flickr

The profile nearly disappeared into the block in some spots.

So I used a fine pencil to trace out the edges...where there actually were edges.

Some spots were less defined

So first the block was hacked off with a back saw (sample shown here was my failed sample...glad I had an extra!)

A razor saw to trim in the "square" sides

Nippers for the off-angle sides

And after some file work... we have some very delicate tracks.

I added small sections of styrene rod on the cut ends to simulate the connecting pins (hard to see here)

Under magnification you can see that the parts were 3D printed. I wish they cleaned the masters better before moulding them in resin. I tried to clean this up as much as I could...

DT75 under magnification by Jason, on Flickr

The basic guts after extraction from the resin blocks:

Part two:

The engine gets the treatment...extrication and assembly. The block on this was enormous!

12-7-16 engine work by Jason, on Flickr

Then a dry fit in the frame, with the hood

The linkage is also a delicate affair. Here it is built and dry fitted
12-5-16 progress report by Jason, on Flickr

The cab is a multi part assembly. Lots of big windows to trim here....

The hot-knife made quick work of a delicate situation..

The door was ill-fitted to the cab. A bit big. So the cab was cut to fit the door. (There was too much detail on the door to trim it) So I used magic marker like Dye-Chem, so I could scribe out my cut area.

After much careful schnitzeling, the door fit nicely into place. A small obstacle.

At the same time I was whittling the fuel tank free from its captive block...

The seat gets some P.E. for a suspension set-up

Seat by Jason, on Flickr

The dash has a grab handle and the gauges were drilled out...

The steering lever handles were drilled into the P.E. rods to ensure good location..Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

Shift rods and control levers were formed and drilled into tiny resin knobs supplied with the kit..

The roof section was missing a section of rain gutter, which was re-constructed with styrene

The side of the seat mounted to the block had no detail, so the brackets wre replicated in styrene and added...

The cab was captive to a block as well...

A rather sparse interior is embellished. Window handle and wall panel was added...

The driver position comes together nicely

DT75 interior dry fit by Jason, on Flickr

In situ, it doesn't look bad. Hockey-stick tape makes up a floor mat.

An added grab handle inside the door is also just visible here..

Part 3

Bogies get drilled and pinned with styrene rod

Bogie rollers 1:35 Dt-75 by Jason, on Flickr

Bogie rollers 1:35 Dt-75 by Jason, on Flickr

Mounted up for the paint shop

The dash gets the first rough treatment. Paint was mixed to match the photos I had. There seems to be a wide range of colors, so I had some lee way

The base coat of rust and nasty is applied first

Then a coat of dull-coat lacquer. Thats an important barrier.
Then a hairspray & top coat, immediately followed by the 'subtractive' approach using a diluted windex (as initially mastered and demonstrated by John Tolcher and illustrated in books and online)

Hood. Paint progress step-2 by Jason, on Flickr

Hood. Paint progress step-2 by Jason, on Flickr

Progress report 3.20 by Jason, on Flickr

Running gear dusted up with washes and pigments

Running gear by Jason, on Flickr

Part 4

The seat needed to be a little worn. I tried the technique of applying tissue paper with PA glue. The result is here. Not great close up, but in real life it looks OK

Some scale trash to throw around in the cab

The drive sprockets get standard treatments of paint, washes and some pigment burnished onto the worn edges

Running gear by Jason, on Flickr

Dry fitting and tiny details added to the engine including wires and hoses

3-26 Sunday morning progress by Jason, on Flickr

TRASHED ! Windows were installed and the interior was junked up a bit...

June progress report by Jason, on Flickr

Test fitting tracks:

Finale

Red Iron Models has a photo gallery they share of real-life examples. So they had a DT-75 like this that looked like it was used in a logging camp. It looked thrashed, but had some interesting elements I tried to emulate. The cable hanging on the rear linkage was one item. The door, missing the window and handle, with paint worn through to shiny silver steel was another. It was fun build overall of a subject rarely known in New Jersey!

Finished DT75 by Jason, on Flickr

Lots of cool detail. (y)

Thanks! Yeah, the kit came nicely supplied. I try to add little extras where I can. The engine was the hardest. There isn't much reference to go on. I don't speak Russian, so navigating photo resource pages are a challenge! (I'm sure I'm on some gummint watch list now!!)

Wow , this is a killer vehicle and well finished subject (y)

Not sure you made a list . My experience ( very limited ) with Russian subjects is that the modelers seem to be too busy arguing over what might have been to notice a gawker :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks for this! I now regret not pulling the trigger when I had the disposable funds!

Regards,

Wow what a read, great thread! I would have thrown the towel in over those tracks. My first thought when I saw that seat was that's just too nice for a work tractor, you put the fix to that very well!

Thanks for sharing with us Jason (y)

That turned out as a well worn old tractor! Resin kits can be quite a task but when done right are very unique. Really nice!

I_LIKE_IT.jpg

Back