• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon Jagdpanzer IV L/70 (V)

Nice one you two

( the tree and not actually you two )

( although you two are nice )

( but in a man/buddy type way )

( anyway moving on )

:D

Well that was one of the questions, to Foliage, or not to foliage.. :hmmm

THAT is the question. I like the idea of a stark, bare tree, this is an early spring scenario that keeps coming back to me. I need to bury the roots when I "plant" the tree for good, will scatter some more stuff around.

The reference picture I have been using is later spring, leaves in the bushes, but since this is Cold Steel...

concrete_jadgpz4.jpg

:idonno

Thank you, my friends! I really appreciate the kind words and encouragement! :notworthy Here's a few pictures of progress.

Following Ant's tutorial, I added a couple washes to the trunk using Vallejo Game Ink colors brown and sepia. I thinned the ink with water and brushed it on.

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

When I decided to leave the tree bare, it was suggested that I dry brush a grey/tan color over the bark. I used Humbrol 72 for that step. The tree was made away from the groundwork, so I had to "plant" it and blend in the mud.

Test fit.

IMG_5779.JPG

The groundwork was made with a piece of Dow Styrofoam, with the ruts carved in. I covered the foam with DAP Fast 'N Final lightweight spackling, the stuff churns up and looks like dirt. I painted the base flat black, followed by Tamiya Dark Earth. I did not shoot any progress pictures, kinda got carried away. :laugh:
Bob had some additional goodies from Treemendus, so we used some matte spray and scattered the scatter!

IMG_5780.JPG

The vehicle is just in there for a test fit, still touch ups and final weathering, but I can see the finish line!!

IMG_5781.JPG

I made a base from some cherry I had in the shop, finished it with clear polyurethane.

IMG_5787.JPG

IMG_5788.JPG

IMG_5790.JPG

It feels good to get this moving again, any suggestions or comments always welcome!

:drinks

Looks great,Mike! (y) (y) (y)

The tree is a bit...uhm...scary looking without leaves,hope it doesn't come back tonight in a nightmare. :rotf Looking good all the same!

Greetings,Ron.

Re: Dragon Jagdpanzer IV Conversion FINISHED!!!

Thank you, my friends!!! I appreciate your kind words and inspiration, this has been one of those builds that has tested my resolve more than once! The 403 is finally finished, literally and figuratively!

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5864.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

The dry leaves are oregano, the antenna is from RB Model, the back story is provided by my good friend, Chris Rhiner, who has a PHD in BS!

During the "German Excursion" while advancing across the barren, arid foothills of the Caucusus, a little piece of the drama that War once was, began to unfold.

It happened one chilly morning, that the crew of Jagdpanzer IV 403, found themselves motoring through a dense fall fog. Having become separated from their unit and lost, the driver headed toward the only discernable landmark, a gnarled, leafless tree, hoping to hole up and rejoin their unit when the fog lifted. Leutnant Butz also had the misfortune to find a minefield as well. With the right track blown off, the Lt. and his crew began hurried repairs. Hoping to get back into action and having found a not entirely terrible firing position to attack the Bolshevik hoards. Much to their consternation, they discovered the Red Army columns were passing to the rear of their vehicle. "Da schitzt dem Hund im Feuerzeug!"
With the fog lifting, the doughty Wehrmacht tankers began to disable 403, so she wouldn't be captured and used against her former masters. Gun spiked, transmission drained, fuel contaminated, they seized their small arms and turned vengefully on their antagonists rear echelon.

Searchers found 403 as her crew had left her. Footprints led south/southwest in the soggy earth, Privat cigarette butts, the Lt's preferred brand were located. No further trace of the Leutnant or his crew were found. As if the Valkure had spirited them off, with out a trace.

Jagdpanzer 403 still lies in her final resting place, merkvurdig, and solitary. Undisturbed by the passing of the ages. Her Officier & crew are said to be visible, on moonlit nights, still laboring to repair the sundered track. No living person visits the place, with the mysterious Gnarled leafless tree. Every now and again, an fresh Privat cigarette butt can be found where the old minefield once was.

Thanks for the ghost story, Rhino!! :notworthy

:drinks

Back