• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

der Spatzfalke! The operational Ho-229

No problem Warren! It's all interesting.

Currently I am assembling the rat's nest framework in the center part of the plane. The way the instructions state to assemble it can lead to some misalignment problems, so I have been jumping around and will probably post a new assembly order for the next builders to follow on this thing. It really looks neat and for as frail as most of the parts are individually, the assembly is quite strong.

Here is a quick phone shot of it in process.
20201022_231559.jpg

Nope. The skin only attaches to the frame. Everything attaches to the frame. I just changed the assembly order a little and added the top part (taped on) to hold the alignments on everything. There is a little more assembled now than in this photo and it really is quite strong and square.

It is just tricky to build and requires some thought. All the parts except for the rear spar/engine support are fairly flexible so things can be worked in to place with a little patience. Then, once the part is aligned I add CA to the lower attachment points until the small gaps are filled.

Looks intricate and delicate! Good things this is 1/32. I bet if they had that kind of detail in 1/72, one would break half of them getting them off the sprue and the other half assembling them!

Nice work Paul!

Jawohl! Zis is unnatural. Cherman Munkie barz gemacht hatta bei dem Joponishes! Da schizt dem Hund im Feuerzeug!

Warren, Mike, Ian, and Chris, thanks so much for looking in. More to come. This kit is kind of neat in that it is specifically done up as sub-assemblies. There are short goals to finish each group, then you move on.

Da schizt dem Hund im Feuerzeug!
Ummm, What did he say?

Hunh 128.jpg

Back from a fast trip to Kansas City. Was helping my brother move my Mom (94) into his new place and help him get moved in as well. Three stories, 2 sets of stairs, my calves are a hurtin'. Then the 8 1/2 hour drives each way am a tuckered out guy.

Since the frame is so critical and the instructions are not all that good with assembling for accuracy and strength I will be posting a better assembly order ( and why) Just going to take a few days to get things to that point.

Last edited:
That is a German slang expression of surprise and disbelief. Translating such literally will leave you puzzled for sure!

" Then the dog shits in my cigarette lighter". Literally. like "Ja Ja Ja" with a dismissive wave is the same as F-off.

I have been a bit busy lately and only now am getting back to this. Looks like I won't make the finish line in time, but I am going to keep at it.

Here is the next installment. If you have one of these kits, I have changed the assembly procedure on the center frame with the engines. By doing the changes from the instructions I was able to use the top frame as a jig to hold the major frame parts between in proper alignment. I can remove the top frame and with minimal hassle it goes back into perfect alignment with the lower assembly. So you might want to make some notes if you have this kit.

Aw2-Ho229-41.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-42.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-43.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-44.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-45.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-46.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-47.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-48.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-49.jpg

Thanks 2020-11-14.jpg

Now to get some paint and weathering to this assembly and get the rest of the parts mounted on it. There are a bunch more but they are controls and extra details like 20mm cannons, landing gear, cockpit parts, and some lines. Hopefully I can get this sped up a little.

Outstanding work. I have built a few planes with a "complicated" inner framework and swore to never, ever try it again. Yes, it was a complete and total disaster.

You are unquestionably at the top of your game here...

Stupendous work Paul! Man that is most impressive! Congrats on figuring out a more though and efficient way to build this.

Thanks for looking in and your wonderful comments guys! Much appreciated!

Over the last month I have had a major distraction that took a lot of my time (female, yeah, go figure) Anyway it now looks like that is passing into never land. Yeah, never know with women, but this one and I have some past history so I am not likely to hang around long if things look to follow a similar path to before. Also not involved with hardly any $$ yet which is also a plus. Only a bit of time and have enjoyed the companionship, but as I already stated, expecting things to go south soon.

As I had this last weekend fully free and the weather turned cold finally I was able to focus on this build finally. Got a lot of paint and assembly work done. So far I am fairly happy with the build the the kit. It does have some flaws though when it comes to Mk 103 30mm cannons though. The gun locations seem like they are good though the ammo box placements are total rubbish. The ammo boxes were placed right behind the gun and had a weird path for the ammo chutes WHICH JUST WOULD NOT EVER WORK. In addition there is no way explosive ammo should be placed that close to a jet engine which is going to run hot. I also looked at the skins and there weren't any access hatches placed to load ammo or access the guns. As the wings will be closed up I am redesigning things a little to have a better setup for the ammo box outboard of the center section and will add some access hatches to the surfaces. That is still all looking ahead and planning, for now here are some photos of where I currently am.

Aw2-Ho229-50.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-51.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-52.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-53.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-54.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-55.jpg

The next part is building the cockpit. I have a number of options for building it, but none of them are really all that great when it comes to the instrument panel. More on the next installment.

Thanks 2020-12-01.jpg

Last edited:
tenor.gif

But she didn't drain you of your model building skills by the looks of it ''yet''

Last edited:
Back