• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F3040/4 Challenger 1 Mk 2 (Tamiya 1/35)

RichB

After doing a number on my ankle last Friday, I broke out the Chally. Something to keep me entertained while keeping my foot elevated.

IMG_0945.JPG

The Challenger began as a private venture for an improved Chieftain for Iran. With the fall of the Shah in 1979, the project was cancelled. The British MBT-80 program was also shelved at this time and the British Army became the primary customer. The design was developed to meet European operational requirements and the Challenger 1 entered service in 1983 with 420 (MBT's and CRARRV) vehicles being completed when production ended in 1990.

Having been rushed into service, the Challenger had many teething problems that drew the attention of British politicians and press. A new requirement was issued 1987 which would result in the Challenger 2 being selected in mid-1991. By this time, most of the early problems had been worked out and despite early concerns, the Challenger 1 performed admirably in Op Grandby, destroying approximately 300 Iraqi tanks. It is also credited with the longest tank on tank kill at a range of 4.7 km (2.9 mi). The Challenger 1 was also deployed to Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo.

The last Challenger 1 retired from UK service in 2001. It was a short retirement as the UK reached an agreement to gift 400 surplus Challenger 1's to Jordan in 2002. They were destined to replace the Tariq (Centurion). The Royal Jordanian Army has begun replacement of the Challenger with ex-Italian Army B1 Centauros.

Cheers,
Rich

So, ensconced in my recliner, weapons of plastic destruction arrayed and armed with the Mk 2 instructions from Tamiya's earlier release. work began. This release has the upgraded armour for Challengers deployed on Op Granby. It still has all the parts for the Mk 2 which will the version of choice.

The 1985 vintage has the mounts and cutouts for motorization common to Tamiya kits at that time. Not much difference between versions on the lower hull. The biggest being the absence of the fuel drums mounted in place of the jerry cans on the rear plate. Although the drums were sometimes seen following the return from the desert, they usually were not carrying fuel due to safety rules. Enterprising crews did figure out how to modify them to provide additional storage. Unfortunately, a couple of the return rollers have become cat toys. Not a real problem as once the skirts are on they won't be visible.

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

On to the upper hull. Again, no major differences between versions. There is wiring conduit still to add around the driving lights on the hull front. The area under the fenders needs to be boxed in so you can't see through to the tracks with turret hatches opened for crew.

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

The big experiment will be with the AK Anti-Slip Texture. Almost all the upper hull is covered with anti-slip material. It also covers most of the turret. It is currently in Edmonton so it may make it here tomorrow. If not it should arrive Monday.

AK8200-1200x1200.jpg

Next will be the turret where there are a few changes to be made.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:
Excellent choice of subject. I always liked the look of the Chally 1. Definitely interested in see how the AK anti-slip will work for you.
:popcorn

Another thing I've done for non-skid is using Mr. Surfacer 1000, then stippling w/ a brush as it dries. Granted this was on a 1/72 helo, so it may be a bit too fine for a 1/35 tank.

I'll be interested to see how that AK stuff works out.

Back