• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

der Spatzfalke! The operational Ho-229

Paul,

This is looking very nice. The amount of work you put into your kits is amazing and your results (from what I've seen) are absolutely spot on. :notworthynotworthy:notworthy

Chris, these kits have an amazing amount of extra (hidden) detail. The kits with piston engines have pistons and rods in them (won't see them) This one is screaming to have some panels left open, but then the sides of the engines can be seen through the cockpit. I suspect that there should have been some sheet metal added there instead of the pilot being able to reach over and touch a running jet engine.

Thanks for looking in Mike!

Thanks for looking in Barney! This is my first ZM kit. I have several, and they "look" good, but the proof is in the build. We shall see how it finishes up.

Bob, as always, thanks for looking in my friend!

Piet, I always appreciate your graphics!

Wow, magnificent work! I never thought to chuck an engine to clean out the inside. Good idea that I'll keep in mind. Although the engines for the An-124 are far too large to fit in a standard chuck!

Keep it coming Paul!

Thanks for looking in Mark! Yeah the watchmaker lathe with the 3 jaw chuck worked out on this. I used the old Squadron green putty and worked it down by hand first. Then in looking at photos, I noticed the slight steps inside. Lucky for me the 3 jaw chuck had 3 areas to grip it and it ran true enough to do the job.

It's time for a new update. The engines are a bit of a challenge as I have not done jet engines before. These are fairly detailed and with the references I have they can be detailed to the max.

Aw2-Ho229-20.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-21.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-22.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-23.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-24.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-25.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-26.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-27.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-28.jpg

There is a bit of paint work left and a bunch of detail work and weathering. It should be an interesting process as these are almost treated as their own kit. Definitely a major sub assembly.

Thanks for looking in!

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments! As I stated, these are almost as models on their own. They are coming along nicely and once done with them I can move on to the next unit. I am so looking forward to seeing how they will look once weathered.

Stunning work Paul! They almost look like they would actually run! What amazing realism you've achieved!
It really helps that it isn't super complex and that I have some really good photos of several engines including the ones on Paul Allen's Me262 which actually run. While those engines are fully operationally restored and upgraded, they lack some of the worn down look that some other engines have. Thus I am working between the two sets. One as new, one as rather worn. (gee I wonder how they smell? and that is a story for another time :bigrin: )

Hey Paul sorry I missed this until now. That is some amazing work. I love your attention to detail, exquisite. It feels like you are building the real thing.
Imagine if these were ready before 1945. That would have made for a nasty surprise.

Cheers

Alex

Skinny Mike, so far it is a pretty good build. Last night I added the 7 hose line parts to the firs engine. Two of the lines that were on the top between the units there had to be shortened just slightly. This is why I waited to the end to place them The other 5 lines fit pretty much perfectly which is amazing seeing how convoluted they are. The engine still looks a little light on detail so I will be adding more to it yet.

Alex, thanks for looking in! Your comments are much appreciated.

Ian, you all inspire me to try and do my best. I am always amazed by your paintings! Thanks for your comment!

Thanks for looking in Mike!

Back