• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

der Spatzfalke! The operational Ho-229

C'mon man! Paint it like a Bat! Wait, wait... since I like sharks, why not it's cousin, a Devil Ray! They fly!

1602127040596.png

Regards,

Wow Warren! That is one awesome photo! I never knew that those could jump out of the water! It seems that they get fairly large don't they? How big was that one?

Wow Saul! That guy really caught some air! I never knew they could 'fly' that high! LOL! Paul, their 'wingspan' has been measured at almost six feet on some.

Fantastic detail !!! Way beyond my level. When we were kids we would see these rays jump out of the water on of Ft. Myers beach. Gary S. XLV MMXX

Finally have a new update. Have been doing a lot of detailing, painting and weathering on the engines and I am now calling them done. Or at least until more parts are built and it needs some weathering.

Aw2-Ho229-29.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-30.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-31.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-32.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-33.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-34.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-35.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-36.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-37.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-38.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-39.jpg

Aw2-Ho229-40.jpg

The coloring in the photos does not quite match the actual coloring on the engines. They really look great with the Mark 1c eyeball. The stands really come in handy to set the engines on where they don't roll around. Not a bad thing though the fit on the stands is a little odd.

Thanks Bob, Piet, and Mike for looking in! Mark, I used photos from some fully restored to running condition engines on a nearly finished (to airworthy) Me-262. That and some other photos from some other complete engines for the coloring on some of the pipes. Gary, I took 3 semesters of Aeronautical Technology in my college days. Part of that was for A & P, but I never finished it. I do remember the smell of aircraft hydraulics though.

Here is a preview of the next part and it has a lot of complexity and parts. A LOT of complexity and parts.

02-Frame-title-page.jpg

And I will say, that the ZM frame is going to be kind of lifeless compared to the one I build. It just doesn't have much coloring.

Horten Ho 229 Zoukei Mura internal frame (6).jpg

Of course this is the Smithsonian one that has a LOT of wear, tear, and weathering. It is a good place to start though.

I cleaned up my work area tonight, it had gotten to the point where tools were everywhere, paint bottles were everywhere, shavings and bits of stuff were, (you guessed it) everywhere. A flat place to actually work was NOWHERE. As the "fuselage" has 4 large sprues and a small sprue I needed some working space. The frame parts are going to be quite complex to build up. It is going to need a lot of time to just clean up the mold seams and other little flaws. I think tape is going to be my big friend for assembling this maze of parts as something this complex is very capable of having fit issues and anything I can do to make it fit well will be to my advantage

After all there are 47 parts in the framework and most ARE the framework.

Last edited:
Those engines look awesome Paul! A very detailed kit and your work on them really makes them pop!

Is it bad that the first thought I had when I saw your pics was, "they would make a nice Star Wars pod racer scratch build"!

:bigrin:

That's a manta ray, they can reach 7 m across (23ft)!

This is the caption to the photo:

"The Munk’s devil ray, pictured above, got the nickname “tortilla” from the fishermen in the Gulf of California where the species lives, says Octavio Aburto, an assistant professor at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, who took the photo."

Link:
Science Friday's Picture of the Week

Either way, an awesome creature!

Regards,

This is the caption to the photo:

"The Munk’s devil ray, pictured above, got the nickname “tortilla” from the fishermen in the Gulf of California where the species lives, says Octavio Aburto, an assistant professor at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, who took the photo."

Link:
Science Friday's Picture of the Week

Either way, an awesome creature!

Regards,
My mistake, those rays are often generically called devil rays. They even call the small pelagic ray off our coast devil rays. I learned something new! So many species of rays in the ocean! These are little guys, only about 4' wing on them.

Thanks Saul! I'll have to brush up on my elasmobranch cousins!!

I agree, awesome creatures. Before I took this job, I volunteered at a research lab in the Bahamas and we worked primarily on spotted eagle rays. They were pretty fantastic too!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Paul!

Back