• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Der Rote Kampfflieger

I just can't leave it alone.

So I got some grass matt, looks good but I'm not sure about Early Summer and an airfield. I would think between engine runup and general traffic the grass would be matted down. This looks too undisturbed for an airfield.

ha89734d.jpg

Just looks too deep, Manny is up to his boots in grass.

Now this is Mowed something...

ha8305a7.jpg

but it doesn't have the verity, the interest that the Summer matt does.

Whatch'all think?

Of course I'll cut them to fit the base. :v

Sorry, I missed this yesterday amongst the other stuff. Airfield would be used more in places than others, think you might do well to mix them somewhat. And of course, there's be tracks and oil/fuel spills around. But what do I know, I rarely do bases. :idonno :mpup

Keep at it, you'll find the right combination. :good:

Hmmmm ? :hmmm There was a German airfield miles from where I grew up. Don't think it was any fancier than a flat plain .

Most of this stuff took place in a large area that is part of the low countries . They get plenty of rain.

The soil is nearly black and I'm willing to think it had bare spots from parking aircraft in the same locations repeatedly.

Just my 5 cent.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Bob, Just catching up on Manfred...

The leather jacket looks great and the grass field is a nice addition!

Thanks guys, yeah the second one looks more the role. I'll add some soil or something to show ground up turf and maybe some other stuff around. The summer grass is nice but doesn't look like it's been in high traffic.

Thanks @Iron Mike I'm going to use that base you build for me years ago that I never made use of.

The base will not this low, I'll use celluclay or whatever type of stuff to lay the ground work.

1587343067283.png

You did a really good job with the semi translucent red there Bob!

I just pulled a plug for two more D.V kits. Want to build Earnst Udet's Black Albatross. Have enough of the Albies I guess I should start with one of them for a first WNW kit.

I just can't leave it alone.

So I got some grass matt, looks good but I'm not sure about Early Summer and an airfield. I would think between engine runup and general traffic the grass would be matted down. This looks too undisturbed for an airfield. Even some bare earth would be kewl at the center of a path

ha89734d.jpg

Just looks too deep, Manny is up to his boots in grass.

Now this is Mowed something...

ha8305a7.jpg

but it doesn't have the verity, the interest that the Summer matt does.

Whatch'all think?

Of course I'll cut them to fit the base. :v
Actually with the Matt’s you can use both! Cut them and use the low one to show plane and path marks and the higher one for other less traveled areas.

Last edited:
Theres a private Aerodrome about 30 minutes from me that runs parallel to the NYS Thruway. It's a bunch of makeshift hangars that look like barns that the guys put up themselves, 10 or so. All the planes are made by the owners. One guy was making an Eindecker from the ground up and it was beautiful. Anyway, they took turns mowing the runway, which just ran down the middle between the hangars.
IIRC, they kept the grass kind of low, one guy took my kids for a run down it a few times in a Zundapp/sidecar copy, bouncing up a down, so I think you're good on the height.
The only thing I'd chime in with is to tie it in more with the plane/pilot. I don't mean accessories (although that'll look nice) but footprints and wheel marks. Not necessarily down to the dirt, but just compressed so it doesn't look like it was placed there by a giant hand. :bigrin:

Back