• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Chris' B-25H and some goodies

Thanks Saul. I still have a couple that have not been applied yet so there's still a possibility.

Thanks Chuck. I remember reading about the nose and I was mentally prepared for that. This took me by complete surprise. Must of got past quality control. They look good, but sure act funny. No two bit have acted quite alike .

Have no fear I'll not give it up. My only concern is the deadline. I have hand painted one of those faces before but would prefer to not have to do it again.

The fat lady will be made to sing or squeal or something, but she ain't done yet. :pilot

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey, you could always be like the guys from the Spartanburg club planning the 2009 Christmas party, it STILL hasn't happened! :D

Get with it, show those stickers who's boss, Private!!

Sgt_Carter_and_Gomer.jpg

Yeah, just when is that 2009 party gonna take place anyhow ? No matter, The Gastonia IPMS chapter is having one this week and we'll be there, and it's even for this current year ! ! !

Thanks for the encouragements guys. Most of the decals are currently on. I am waiting for some US markings to show up in the mail and we'll press on.

In the meantime, I set to finish the tail section. Arghh :bang head . I just realized that I need to instal a shim at the end of the elevators. Oh well, I needed to make the mounts anyway, so here it is all patched up.

tail_assy_005a.jpg

And after some paint, the installation of the trim tab rods and moving the surfaces askew as one might find them before the crew chief has a chance to lock them down.

tail_assy_006a.jpg

That's all for tonight. Comment on what you like?don't like.

I hop the other decals arrive soon so I can finish this monster soon .

Cheers, Christian B)

Yeah, just when is that 2009 party gonna take place anyhow ? No matter, The Gastonia IPMS chapter is having one this week and we'll be there, and it's even for this current year ! ! !

Thanks for the encouragements guys. Most of the decals are currently on. I am waiting for some US markings to show up in the mail and we'll press on.

In the meantime, I set to finish the tail section. Arghh :bang head . I just realized that I need to instal a shim at the end of the elevators. Oh well, I needed to make the mounts anyway, so here it is all patched up.

tail_assy_005a.jpg

And after some paint, the installation of the trim tab rods and moving the surfaces askew as one might find them before the crew chief has a chance to lock them down.

tail_assy_006a.jpg

That's all for tonight. Comment on what you like?don't like.

I hop the other decals arrive soon so I can finish this monster soon .

Cheers, Christian B)

:dude Trim tab horns in 1:72!? :notworthy

Well yeah ! All my builds newer than 2005 have them. Did not even have to build these they came with the Eduards PE set . :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Christian, All those pieces at slightly different angles and planes really sets off the whole tail section (y) (y) (y)

Learning alot here!!!

Randy

Christian,

While researching the sizes needed for your Mitchell I found a schematic (which I scanned, printed, and sent) calling out for 45 inch insignias on the fuselage and 50 inch on the wings. This translates to 0.625 inch on the fuselage and 0.694 inch for the wings. US national insignia sizes are based on the diameter of a circle when the tips of the 5 pointed star touch them.

What does this mean? It means that decals from a 1/48th scale Mustang are perfectly sized (I checked). I sent two sets. One, from Accurate Miniatures P-51A is nice because it represents national insignias that were updated to the 'star and bar' type. So, it has faded blue with a darker outline. The second set, from Tamiya's P-51D, are fresh and dark blue.

Regards,

While waiting impatiently for the postman to come to my rescue with a some replacement decals I decided to try to improve the canvas covers ( three ) by gluing some lead foil over them.

Now, I have to wait again for the glue to set before applying any paint.

B-25_canvas_001a.jpg

Boy, this is as exciting as waiting for coal to turn into diamonds ! :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, more drama for Bomber Command....!

That flak was really close.... Gonna take more blue tape to fix it...

The_beast_21_001a.jpg

Thanks to Mr. Saul for helping out with decals. It made it possible for me to replace this one that just went berserk on me. Frankly they were all obstinate at best, even if Chuck ( The model Guru ) had no problem with his.

Here we are , it's almost time to take it off the jacks ( ahem... Styrofoam ) and throw some dirt on it...Maybe a trip to the orthodontist .

The_beast_21_002a.jpg

More soon. Cheers, Christian B)

Really nice, even if a dentist is in order! Dr. Steinman? Dr. Steinman? Paging Dr. Steinman?

Regards,

Yikes! I thought I had two steps back..one step forward. what happen to the insignia..besides the blue tape. :mpup

This maybe a silly question but have you tried brushing Future under the decal then when in place and holding, Future over and let dry?

I had a dog of a time trying to settle on a decal solution, tried this on a build and have used it ever since.

I use a dedicated brush for this, dip the brush into an old washed tamiya glass paint bottle with Future in it just for decals, apply this to the decal on the backing paper, you can easily get the brush under the decal or gently lift it so the Future gets right under, drain off excess, then place.

If the decal has split, Future onto the place where it goes

Some of my Classic Airframes 1/48 Westland Whirlwind decals were bad, they split and separated on the backing paper in he water, using the Future ''method'' on them I got a very successful outcome.

I also use same on a lot of tail bands - which many comments ask if it is painted on, the Future settles them down superbly. no wrinkles or curling.

Spinner spirals and IP decals too, it works a treat.

If the decal does misbehave, I simply brush on another layer of Future the next morning and leave it alone, this has worked time and time again for me.

HTH in some way

Thanks for all the good info Phil.

I have heard of this method but have yet to try it. I will find something to practice on soon.

Thank you very much.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back