• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build log 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

NSX_Guy

"And now," cried NSX_guy "let the wild rumpus start!"

Here it is boys and girls. I'm finally staring a kit which I've had in the stash for quite a while and I've been slowly adding detailing kits and accessories. Today was the unboxing, tonight is the kickoff and tomorrow the hangover begins.

My initial impressions are that this kit is a quintessential modern Tamiya offering, straight and true, crisp mouldings with minimal flash excellent detail and a very impressive size (that's what she said!).

In addition to the base kit, so far I've added:

Eduard big Ed set http://www.amazon.com/Eduard-Edbig3232-Big-Ed-Sets/dp/B00AMB7ZKK
Verlinden ejection seat https://www.verlindenonline.com/1-32-aces-ii-ejection-seats-f-15-f-16-930.html
Master models M61 A1 http://www.ultracast.ca/products/Master/32%20Scale/MAM-32-029/default.htm
Rhino Models seamless intakes http://www.ebay.com/usr/rhino_models?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. These are available from Rhino sporadically, so if you see a set available, get it!

My plan so far is to build up an late version F-15C and to really stretch these rusty legs of mine. I also plan on starting with the interior, and moving back from there. I'm not looking forward to putting the afterburner/exhaust assemblies together. They're busy enough with just the Tamiya parts, and once we add the Eduard pieces I'm sure that will be several evenings of my life vaporized.

Without further ado, here's proof and motivation for my future, lazy self.

h3e6ef6c.jpg

h718df1a.jpg

h2c961ec.jpg

New build 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

Be still my heart...:love

I've been in love with that aircraft from the first time I saw it.

I was qualified to load [strike]bombs [/strike](Check that) missiles on the F15, never did certify though. I'll be watching this with great interest. :popcorn

Really looking forward to this. Still get goosebumps when I remember my first 'encounter' with a pair of Bitburg F-15A's that 'dropped-in' for lunch at Coltishall (85 or 86 :idonno ). When they left they did a 'pair departure', held them (very) low on along the runway and then did the 'vertical take-off' with no more than a wingspan between them.

Always remember that, always love a good F-15 build.

Ian.

Wow if this place were a pyramid scheme, Chuck and I would be rich.

Good going buddy, nice looking group of add ons.

FYI you don't need a name and datestamp on start photos unless you're building for a campaign.

Thanks all, it's daunting; but like every journey I'm starting with the first step.

Tonight's accomplishments involved sorting parts and setting apart parts I won't use and gluing most of the wings/stabilizers together.

Scrodes, that photo was all for me. Motivation if you will.

This is what the office looks like right now.
h138e84a.jpg

It's going to be a long road.

Really looking forward to this. Still get goosebumps when I remember my first 'encounter' with a pair of Bitburg F-15A's that 'dropped-in' for lunch at Coltishall (85 or 86 :idonno ). When they left they did a 'pair departure', held them (very) low on along the runway and then did the 'vertical take-off' with no more than a wingspan between them.

Always remember that, always love a good F-15 build.

Ian.

Saw one do it at Grand Forks, he rolled out on the run way and gunned the engines a couple of times while standing on the breaks. Got everyone on the flight line attention. :popcorn Sure nuff, got running down the runway, tucked the gear up, didn't look like he pulled off the ground but just enough to get the weight off the wheels. Screammed down the runway for a bit and then BAM@#@%^, Straight up into the clouds :pilot We just heard him for a minute or so longer then he was gone and we turned back working on our old B52s.... :bang head

We just heard him for a minute or so longer then he was gone and we turned back working on our old B52s.... :bang head

..well OK, at least I got to go back to working on Jaguars :coolio

Ian.

I want to wish you all the very best building it. Just watch out for the seam on the main canopy. They are easy to get rid of. Just take your time and it. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks Ace.

Some, how shall I say, not so encouraging update today. I've been trying to bend the photo etch ejector seat rails over the last day or so, and I hust say I'm less than impressed with the RB etch bender. It seems a bit too flimsy for regular thickness etched parts.

My local hobby shop is getting a different bender in this week and I'll pick that up, and save the RB version for smaller pieces.

Oh gees I wish I knew you were using that thing. I picked up one years ago and found some PE stronger than the bender itself. Never did figure out all those inserts.

I can't brag enough about the Small Shop benders

http://thesmallshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8

Oh gees I wish I knew you were using that thing. I picked up one years ago and found some PE stronger than the bender itself. Never did figure out all those inserts.

I can't brag enough about the Small Shop benders

http://thesmallshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8

I'll have to see what the LHS has to offer later this week, but this looks pretty awesome!

The inserts for the bender seem to be pretty easy to handle, but as you said, it's hard to bend something that's stiffer than the bender itself.

It's a shame, because I really like his scribers and saws.

Yeah I like the vast majority of their products but this one, I don't know what to do with it. The Small Shop has other PE benders that are smaller and easier to handle than that big 8".

My local hobby shop is getting a different bender in this week and I'll pick that up, and save the RB version for smaller pieces.

DV or HH?

Dundas Valley. I can't ever rave about their service enough. They've always been awesome; special orders come in within a week, their pricing is very competitive and they carry (or have access to) a lot of niche brands.

They're the type of brick and mortar who have adapted to selling in the Internet age.

OK, you guys on the verge of getting a :nopics
slapped on ya. When we cuttin' sprue on this bad boy!? :popcorn

OK, you guys on the verge of getting a :nopics
slapped on ya. When we cuttin' sprue on this bad boy!? :popcorn

I've cut, I promise! I hope to get a few pictures up this weekend when I hit the table again. I plan on getting a good portion of the pit taken care of once I get a bender that's worth a damn.

Blender ? You fixing Martinis ? HAHAHA ...type O that's bender :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Back