• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Luftwaffe F-4F ICE - Norm 81 (1/48 Hasegawa)

helios

The venerable Hasegawa long nose Phantom is a concurrent build w/ the F-4EJ Kai. I was curious to see the differences in 3 decades of model production development. The particular kit was picked up for a song at a model show 3 years ago. Do I expect it to be to the level of the Z-M? No, certainly not. However I'm confident that I can still turn out a more than acceptable result (for me) for a fair bit less than the entry fee of a new Z-M or Tamiya kit. Although it should be said that my decision to move to MRP external colors have certainly eaten into the price difference due to the Norm 81 scheme I wanted to do. Not factoring in paint costs, I should be able to get within 60% of a Z-M or half the cost of a Tamiya.

Some spares re-appropriation will assist in keeping costs down on this build...though future Hase F-4 builds won't be quite so fortunate. A set of RESKIT AIM-120s, Eduard resin wheels and metal pitots have been the only AM purchased for it to date, though I will be adding some resin FOD covers to the build at a later date.

The kit and chosen decals for the Norm 81 scheme.

Main components clipped from sprues and test fit. Eduard's "Rocking Rhino" boxing is an Academy F-4J w/ a bunch of Eduard resin & PE bits included...including resin cans. So off to the Eduard box to rob the stock Academy exhausts which have much more detail on the insides than the stock Hasegawa parts. Test fit shows the Academy parts will fit with some minor trimming of the Hasegawa fuselage. All modifications are internal, so none of them are visible. Free upgrade! :ro:

Kit seats built up w/ aluminum tape & wire modifications. These will pass, no resin required.

Painted up alongside the Z-M seats. The Hase parts are a fair bit bigger, but should be fine as long as I don't mix them up.

Got the cockpit finished up this weekend. Both fuselages have now been closed up.

Throttle quadrants were scratched from square styrene stock. The rest of the cock pit is box stock.

Back