• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build log 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

New build 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

Well, it's been a long few weeks away from the table. Family, work and fun have all gotten in the way of doing anything productive at the model table.

What I have done, however since the last update is the prime most of the parts, where I identified some sinkholes and other issues in the factory polystyrene and I've tried to fill it as I stated in my last update. It seems when brushed on in fine layers, the Alclad micro filling primer seems to work pretty well.

h5323b46.jpg

h780439b.jpg

I've also ordered the seamless exhaust assembly and nozzles from ebay, which haven't showed up yet, but more interestingly, I have ordered and received a nice little order from the sprue siblings. As I mentioned in my first post, I want to build a late model F-15C, which is essentially an airframe which has undergone significant updates In the MSIP (Multi Stage Improvement Program). This catalyst for this was really so I didn't have to paint that metallic alien slime green that was slathered in the electronics bay, so along the way I convinced myself that there was no other way.

The first set that I got from the polystyrene partners was the excellent "MSIP II" update set from Wolfpack. This set includes a nice sprue of photoetch brass consisting mostly of reinforcement plates and slime lights, and some beautiful resin for the cockpit as well as the updated armament rails and antennae.

h86de233.jpg

h353c558.jpg

Second on the list was some new decals. I ordered a set of Caracal decals representing a few airframes from the Oregon Air National Guard in the Mod Eagle paint scheme.

h3866295.jpg

h4e6be49.jpg

Finally, Im fighting with the electronics bay. As supplied from Tamiya, the cockpit assembly is supposed to be attached with some screws to the wheel well, with a big ugly Phillips screw showing its ugly face with an open cockpit. This has to be fixed. What I've done so far is remove the plastic stem and since this picture has been taken I've sanded the area surrounding the cut astic smooth and filled the hole with Tamiya putty. Once the floor is smooth, I am going to build the strut back up in either brass or strip styrene.

h9252c57.jpg

What a long strange trip it's being.

Massive investment going in to this project. Hope he's got enough cash left-over for glue :tomato

Ian.

Like your fill technique. Lot better than my slapping it everywhere and sanding the crap out of it all. (y)

Oh man more aftermarket goodies :pilot

I hope I'm done after the exhaust components come in, then it's all about the assembly and paint.

Massive investment going in to this project. Hope he's got enough cash left-over for glue :tomato

Ian.

This project started out about 15 years ago when I bought the kit. I worked at a hobby store, so my staff discount made a very significant dent in the cost of the kit and ejection seat. The "Big Ed" set was bought on release about 10 years ago, so the only real purchases I've made for this so far are:

Intakes
Exhausts
Decals
Wolfpack update set

and the photoetch bender. This is a tool, so I won't count that in the $500 investment that I've made to date.

Like your fill technique. Lot better than my slapping it everywhere and sanding the crap out of it all. (y)

Thanks Moon, I'm not nearly savvy enough to put it only where the issues are so I learned a long time ago that I need to set boundaries. It seems to work OK, but that is, quite honestly my least favorite part about building. This is why I tend to favor Tamiya kits; which seams (get it, seams?!?!?) to have bitten me in the ass this time.

As you have surmised from NSX guy's update, he has done mostly nothing - Gordon Kwan on the other hand has been clogging up the mail system.

:rotf

It's a job just gathering all that to get started. :popcorn

This catalyst for this was really so I didn't have to paint that metallic alien slime green that was slathered in the electronics bay, so along the way I convinced myself that there was no other way.

NSX Guy - great work so far. I wanted to point out one thing releated to what you said above. I am not trying to be one of the dreaded accuracy police, but I wanted to share a little tidbit I learned when building my F-15. The color of the avionics bay, as I understand it, is entirely based on the build year of the airframe and wasn't repainted during future upgrades. Basically if the tail number is before FY 80, then it's the goofy blue. From FY 1980 onwards the bay was painted white. As always I'm sure there are exceptions. And the MM interior blue green is the correct color apparently. That all being said, it's your build of your model, you do what you want. I'm just sharing what I learned.

Great build so far!
:drinks
Mike

This catalyst for this was really so I didn't have to paint that metallic alien slime green that was slathered in the electronics bay, so along the way I convinced myself that there was no other way.

NSX Guy - great work so far. I wanted to point out one thing releated to what you said above. I am not trying to be one of the dreaded accuracy police, but I wanted to share a little tidbit I learned when building my F-15. The color of the avionics bay, as I understand it, is entirely based on the build year of the airframe and wasn't repainted during future upgrades. Basically if the tail number is before FY 80, then it's the goofy blue. From FY 1980 onwards the bay was painted white. As always I'm sure there are exceptions. And the MM interior blue green is the correct color apparently. That all being said, it's your build of your model, you do what you want. I'm just sharing what I learned.

Great build so far!
:drinks
Mike

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that before. By a complete coincidence, the decals I picked up are for airfarmes 84-005 and 84-031 so it's looks like I live to see another day. Not only is that color ugly, but it seems like nobody can agree who produces an accurate representation.

That's also a happy coincidence, because I was going to undercoat bay 5 with a color loosely representing the aforementioned disco throw-up left overs.

Love the avatar by the way. Right now I have a hunger that only hands can satisfy.

I've also just had a quick scan through my post, and haven't seen anywhere mentioning that I welcome critiques - because I certainly do. Nobody wants to splash this kind of cash on a model only for it to turn out sub-par.

"I thought they would be cooked more, raw face is just gross." :rotf

For those of you that are wondering what us crazy guys are talking about, search youtube for Llamas with hats.

Skinny_mike - great avatar! I'm sad it's all over now.

NSX - stop looking at your car parts (scale and otherwise) and focus!

Or come back over and have more :drunk :drinks

Skinny_mike - great avatar! I'm sad it's all over now.

NSX - stop looking at your car parts (scale and otherwise) and focus!

Or come back over and have more :drunk :drinks

Well, fine. I spent quite a bit of time this weekend at the table. I was going to wait until later tonight to write an update, but I've been left with no choice.

I finally got my exhaust parts, and both the visual appearance, and subsequent conversation with the manufacturer have left me...unimpressed.

hf6515d2.jpg

I have about 6 hours into this little pile of parts so far, removing, sanding, filling air bubbles and laying the first coat of primer.

Anyhow, I have some color in the pit now, and things seem to be moving along swimmingly. That much maligned screw from last week has been well and truly handled. This is what I started with:

h9252c57_2015-03-09.jpg

I filled, sanded and swore by time I was done I had this:

hb316ae1.jpg

So what I did was, I thought, ingenious and quite modest. The Wolfpack update set came with a set of slime lights; but I already had some in the Big Ed set so I cannibalized the smallest Wolfpack version. I cut it from the photoetch sprue and realized it was the perfect length, how fortuitous. I then bent it into a "C" shape and slipped it in place.

This is how the PE looked after the bend.
h4d18f07.jpg

Bent, in place and with one coat of paint I have this.

h38f6ea9.jpg

I also got quite a bit of color laid down in the pit, but other than preshading, that's going to wait for another update.

h6574a0c.jpg

Finally, the front gear well has been detailed with our friend Big Ed again. I'm pretty impressed with how it's gone so far. Also, what's better than one haemostat? Two haemostats!

hc7a1744.jpg

I'm having a bit of an issue here guys, and I'd like some input.

I bought that Caracal decals, which noted that the main portion of the fuse is to be painted FS 36251 (Agressor Grey). I painted the intake trunks the other night, and this color looks MUCH too dark. I don't know whether it's my eyes playing tricks on me or whether this is truly too dark. I'll post the picture of the intake trunk when I get home, but for the time being I'm curious to hear what colors you guys have used for Mod Eagles in the past?

Decal instructions for reference.

h382d9e3.jpg

How does it look next to the other grey? I ran into that on my Canadian F5, the colors threw me off till they got side by side.

Interesting you mention this topic.

I have a couple of F-15's to build in the near future and I'm deliberately avoiding the 'Mod Eagle' scheme because I cannot get the grey tones right (to my eye) on my 'paint mule'. Doesn't matter if I custom-mix them or use them straight from the tin. - I'm sticking with the original Light & Dark Compass Greys.

That said, if you have access to Xtracolour enamels, then their 'Mod Eagle' greys are definitely the closest in my opinion.

Appreciate this doesn't help much with your problem, matey, but it may give you a new datum point. :idonno

Ian.

My experience with the F-16A paint jobs ( the real thing ) is that they were always a good deal darker when first painted .

I would imagine the F-15's to be similar .

The Early f-15 grays as seen in USAFE were much lighter than the recent ones .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back