• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Build log 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

New build 1:32 Tamiya F-15C with lots of goodies

My Mission Models Etchmate is the mutt's nuts- but they seem to be out of business. I'm looking forward to watching this build progress- cheers!

My Mission Models Etchmate is the mutt's nuts- but they seem to be out of business. I'm looking forward to watching this build progress- cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to drop in Chuk! It does appear they are in fact out of business unfortunately.

Time for a mini update.

So the cause of much malign, the photoetch for the ejector has been completed for the time being. The photo below represents an entire afternoon of activity to get to the point we have in front of us. I may start from scratch when the new toy arrives hopefully tomorrow.

rj3CiMG.jpg

http://imgur.com/rj3CiMG

But enough whining, let's look at something awesome! The rhino models seamless intakes I spoke about in my original post have been unwrapped and test fitted.

bNQlfvk.jpg

http://imgur.com/bNQlfvk

As you can see, they're cast in three pieces, one white and two gray. The white portion represents the portion of the intake that is painted white on the original F-15, and the gray pieces will be painted the airframe Colour.

KjEqcDV.jpg

http://imgur.com/KjEqcDV
As you can see the quality of the resin appears near flawless and should be a real treat to finish up.

This is a picture showing the bodywork required to fit the intake. I had to remove a small piece of the leading edge of the intake as it's been cast directly into the resin piece. I'm sure once it's cinched down there will be a little bit of filler and a lot of blue language filling the air in my hobby room, but it's all for the greater good I'm sure.

r24a16V.jpg

Here's a picture shiwing the scale of the aircraft. Well over 12" long for the main portion of the fuse.

n1XP4qV.jpg

http://imgur.com/n1XP4qV

Finally, I wanted to feel like I was actually making some progress, so I glued most of the flying surfaces together. These guys are ready for primer and maybe a bit of putty whenever I feel like firing up the compressor.

rcB4bN7.jpg

http://imgur.com/rcB4bN7

So far, I'm really impressed with the usual level of Tamiya quality.

Those intakes do look nice. What's up with, what looks like, quick release tabs on the horizonal stabs?

Those intakes do look nice. What's up with, what looks like, quick release tabs on the horizonal stabs?

They look awesome, don't they? Now I have figure out if I need the seamless exhaust and nozzles. I'm thinking the answer is going to be delivered to my house in a few weeks.

The horizontal stabs have tabs on them yes. You are supposed to rotate them 90 degrees vertically to place in the fuse, where you then rotate them to their final position and I assume glue to fix it.

The stabs on the F-16 are similar and they're designed to be left unglued so they're posable. Don't forget they move independently of each other.

Edit; page 3 sniper.

Woopp...I meant Vertical Stabilizers, forgive me, had just gotten back from the Dentist and he had his way with me. :bang head

Woopp...I meant Vertical Stabilizers, forgive me, had just gotten back from the Dentist and he had his way with me. :bang head

That makes more sense, apparently I was on whatever you were on. They do look super Monogram Snap-Tite(tm)

That makes more sense, apparently I was on whatever you were on. They do look super Monogram Snap-Tite(tm)

From what I recall reading, the plane will fit in the box with the vertical stabs removed for transporting to shows etc.

Needless to say, this plane won't be leaving the house once finished, so if the gap is unacceptable, it will be glued, filled and sanded for the proper appearance.

Yeah they'll need to have something more secure and can seat better than that. :popcorn

Who'd have thunk that a proper tool made bending etched metal almost enjoyable?

h2e45b1c.jpg

I picked up the Large (6") bender by "Master Tools", apparently a house brand of Trumpeter. I guess seeing as it's Trumpeter this explains the striking similarity to a bender made by a now defunct company out of Burbank, California.

In any case, the base seems to be metallic as well as the tool itself. Once I got the hang of it, this was a pleasure to work with and I even went so far as to flatten out the ejection seat rails and rebend them.

What originally was a frustrating several hours was now done in about 20 minutes with not a single swear. Amazing.

Anyhow, this is what I bent and farted around with tonight. Not much progress, but forward motion nonetheless.

h7d31840.jpg

I'm hoping to get the seat assembled and primed/preshaded this weekend.

That's really going to make that chair pop in the cockpit. :popcorn

I think everyone here might find this interesting

How To Win In A Dogfight: Stories From A Pilot Who Flew F-16s And MiGs, a graduate of the Naval Weapons School, and F-16 aggressor pilot.

The new bender looks nice, good call on the ruler. That's a crazy amount for those plastic blades - I see why he threw them in for you.

Great read, thanks for this. Gives me something to do waiting for this :sick to pass.

Regarding the F16
The cockpit is tight and it gives you more of the sensation that you're actually wearing the jet than actually sitting in it.

I have read this so many times in different places, would love to feel that once. :pilot

Well, the major assemblies of the ejection seat are done. I surmise that I spent between 8-10 hours on just the primary assembly. The quality is good, but there was a pretty steep learning curve and tool issues to start with. I figure that the cockpit will be the focal point of the model, and the ejection seat the focal point of the pit. Why not spend the time now and make sure I'm absolutely happy with the result?

This brings me to the pictures so Moon Puppy won't get angry. Here's a little something that I remember reading years ago; when cutting photoetch from the sprue, place a piece of scotch tape over the piece to be installed. After all,the dreaded carpet monster can't eat what it can't find.

h42c4380.jpg

I didn't have anything fly across the room today, so a minor victory is a victory nonetheless.

Below I have mocked up the pit with the kit parts. Later on, most of this will be replaced with parts supplied by my friend, Big ED. Prior to painting, the oxygen bottle will be removed from the side as it will be painted a very distinct bright green.

h9ccd306.jpg

h2ccd021.jpg

h7e2cdbb.jpg

When putting this all together, I found that research photos of the seat rails were difficult to come by, so I assembled the Tamiya seat to use as a partial reference; now it's served as a decent base to determine if all this effort was worth it. (Hint: I think it was). You will also see the real hodge podge of parts used to arrive at this juncture. Resin and brass are Verlinden pieces, the stainless is Eduard, and the two polystyrene stands are supplied by Tamiya to raise the seat off the floor.

h9735e15.jpg

hfba30f4.jpg

h7dcf768.jpg

h0d4c9e8.jpg

After the kids are in bed tonight, the CA might be cured so I may, if I get ambitious, spray a little paint tonight.

Well, the major assemblies of the ejection seat are done. I surmise that I spent between 8-10 hours on just the primary assembly. The quality is good, but there was a pretty steep learning curve and tool issues to start with. I figure that the cockpit will be the focal point of the model, and the ejection seat the focal point of the pit. Why not spend the time now and make sure I'm absolutely happy with the result?

This brings me to the pictures so Moon Puppy won't get angry. Here's a little something that I remember reading years ago; when cutting photoetch from the sprue, place a piece of scotch tape over the piece to be installed. After all,the dreaded carpet monster can't eat what it can't find.

h42c4380.jpg

I didn't have anything fly across the room today, so a minor victory is a victory nonetheless.

Below I have mocked up the pit with the kit parts. Later on, most of this will be replaced with parts supplied by my friend, Big ED. Prior to painting, the oxygen bottle will be removed from the side as it will be painted a very distinct bright green.

h9ccd306.jpg

h2ccd021.jpg

h7e2cdbb.jpg

When putting this all together, I found that research photos of the seat rails were difficult to come by, so I assembled the Tamiya seat to use as a partial reference; now it's served as a decent base to determine if all this effort was worth it. (Hint: I think it was). You will also see the real hodge podge of parts used to arrive at this juncture. Resin and brass are Verlinden pieces, the stainless is Eduard, and the two polystyrene stands are supplied by Tamiya to raise the seat off the floor.

h9735e15.jpg

hfba30f4.jpg

h7dcf768.jpg

h0d4c9e8.jpg

After the kids are in bed tonight, the CA might be cured so I may, if I get ambitious, spray a little paint tonight.

Me Mad? Never.... :love

Wow, it looks great. I'd be happy with the kit parts but the upgrade is well worth the effort. Nice clean construction! (y)

Over the last week or so I've been hectic, between work, family and the bench. After a month, I finally put the last project into the display case; which is sealed, so getting in takes a few minutes of effort. Not difficult but I need to get a few tools out and actually use them.

Since my last update, I've shaved all the detail from the cockpit interior in order to install the Eduard details later, assembled some sub-assemblies and built the armament which will consist of 4 sparrows and 4 sidewinders, cleaned off the bench and actually sprayed some primer!

Firstly, I am not terribly impressed with this kit once I got the primer on it. There are a bunch of sink marks in the plastic which I don't think should be there in a +/- $200 kit. It looks like there will be some body work involved before I can go any further on the external portion of the kit. I'm not a big fan of body filler, so I'm looking for some suggestions here, maybe milliput superfine? I am open to suggestions.

I've also ordered seamless exhausts and afterburners from ebay. The exhaust cans in the kit are moulded in two parts, which I decided I can't live with, as well as the nozzles being moulded about 8 scale inches too long. So I did what any sane person would do. I figured my time was worth more than the $33 that I need to spend to correct the issue and ordered them from "GT Resin products". A review will follow when I receive the items. I also need to order the "mod eagle" update kit from Wolfpack later this week when I decide which direction I'd like to go with decals.

I'll post a few more pictures later, but here's what I have from to
h7f518db.jpg

h4758cf9.jpg

hbd7ba60.jpg

day so far:

I agree, that much money sink marks should be the last thing that comes up.

Mr Dissolved Putty is what I use to fill in gaps and holes though I opened my bottle the other day and it wasn't so dissolved anymore. It's like Mr Surfacer but less shrinkage when it dries.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/gunp119xxx.htm

Brothers of Sprue is out of stock but just to show you what I'm talking about.

Back