• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf109 E4b Dragon 1/32

jknaus

Administrator
Well as I am waiting for some decals for my Pfalz IIIa I felt the need to do more glueing. So pulled out the Dragon 1/32 Bf 109 E4. Looked through my refs and in Kagero #37 Bf109 E vol 1 I found the a/c i want to build. The fact that 1/32 decals for this bird came with the book helped somewhat. Here is some history I found on it:
Messerschmitt Bf 109E EG54 (B14+) a training unit at Cazaux exJG1.1 1942 00
Once operated by I./JG1, this Bf 109E-4/B was later transferred to an Erganzungsgruppe, possibly Erg. Gr. JG54, at Cazaux, on the west coast of France, where it flew with a bomb rack. Fighter training units based in this area frequently practised bombing in the Gironde Estuary where there was an old wreck which served as a target. On this aircraft, the emblem of the former unit has been retained on the fuselage but, except for the lower cowling, the earlier yellow nose has been repainted Green 71.
Messerschmitt Bf 109E EG54 (B14+) a training unit at Cazaux exJG1.1 1942 01
Photo 01: Once operated by I./JG1, this Bf 109E-4 was later transferred to a training unit at Cazaux where it was fitted with a bomb rack and used to train pilots in Jabo tactics.

And some pics.

0-Bf-109E-EG54-(B14+)-a-training-unit-at-Cazaux-exJG11-1942-0A.jpg

1-Bf-109E-EG54-(B14+)-a-training-unit-at-Cazaux-exJG11-1942-01.jpg

I have the cockpit almost done, but ran into a problem with my Airscale decals. 1st they are a bit too big for the bezels, and second one of them shattered while putting it on. I think that was totally my fault. So going to do the instruments the old fashioned way. Other than that what a neat cockpit. Dragon has done well. Pics to follow.
James

Hi James,
so far all I have seen is the box art but I like the paint scheme already . :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

The over painted yellow nose is what caught my eye.
Pics later today. Need to work on the pit some more so there is actually something to see.
James

I really like the yellow nose German aircraft. You're going to make me build my Stuka B with the yellow nose. :pinch:

Greetings James;

I have that model kit also. I have not started it yet, but
I bought Eduard's interior detail set for it. It looks quite
nice. I hope I do not have problems like that.

Good luck,
Mike

Hey Mike how do you like the eduard interior? Is it custom for the Dragon kit? I'd probably get for my other 2 kits ecept usually they have the instrument panel in RLM66 rather than RLM02.

Anyways drilled all the holes in the rudder pedals and painted and puttered. Maybe get some pics tomorrow. Not thrilled with instruments, but forging ahead anyways. Drilled the "button" on the lower panel out and installed a wire for the gun sight. Unfortunately the gun site is 1 piece so cant model with front reflector closed. Will see if I have a better one.
James

Excellent choice James I like that color scheme! In my opinion great kit, straight OBB please, Eduard colours (painted zoom...) are Not spot on in my opinion.

All the best! :snoopy
Dusan.

I agree Dusan. The kit is a real joy. I put the bomb together and was very pleased, no seam lines. The cockpit is exceptional and I am really enjoying it. Do you have one? What scheme are you thinking of?
James

No James, becouse I'm trying to stay in 1/72 and 1/48 but.... leading Japanese manufacturers will kill me :gogo :laugh:
I have CyberHobby 1/48 Bf-110D-3 in my stash, same type of mold making engineering, simply fantastic :notworthy .

My good friend have this one in his stash and Eduard. We compared, Eduard 109E vs Dragon 109E kit and Dragon certainly looks better.

All the best!
Dusan.

Re: BF-109 E4b Dragon 1/32

Greetings James;

..... I have the Eduard interior for the Dragon Bf-109/E-4.

It looks great to me. The panel is already painted, all you
need to do to it is may-haps a little weathering.

The instructions say to file, and sand the Dragon instruments
from the panel. Then you place a colored decal, (((yes) the
instruments are in color) not black and white), on the sanded
panel, the place a thin clear styrene piece over the panel.
..... This represents the glass, for the instruments. Then
you place the outer colored PE part on the instrument panel
..... You follow the same process for the lower panel.

Wal-la neat, I have used there panels before, they are first
class.

No need to drill the holes in the pedals, you have new ones made
of PE, with the straps, to keep your feet on the petal; when doing
aerobatics, or flying ACM.

..... Also the kit pedal are to thick, dilling the out helps the
looks, but it does not solve the problem.
You also get PE Canopy jettison handle, and a PE Canopy lock handle.
Two different style armored head plates, PE cockpit floor plate.
PE wheel and chain for the elevator trim wheel. Colored PE harness
and seat belt.and ..... etc.

I also purchase the Eduard PE set for the Dragon BF-109/E-4
exterior.... Many nice parts here. Rear view mirror, Interior detail
for the engine cowling, and the removable cowling over engine ammo
boxes. PE ammo boxes, with the chutes to bring the ammo to the guns.
PE engine Igniter wires, ((aircraft) do not use spark plugs), detail
for the 20mm ammo drums. PE detail for the wing slats, and .... etc.

I also have the Master 1/32nd MG-17 brass gun barrels, and the 1/32
scale, brass MG/FF 20mm gun barrels.

I was thinking of converting my ME-109/E-4 into a ME-109/E-7. externally
there is very Little difference.

Looks like a great model kit.......... have fun...... :D

... :soldier ... :pilot ...,

Mike

Okay so did more on instrument panel. Its lmost done. Glued almost all the dood dads in cockpit. Tried an oil wash for the first time ever in an airplane. It adds depth, but the photographers skills suck so much you cant see that. Be aware that the instructions are a bit vague for the chain drive. I glued mine a bit high trying not to foul the floors and instead the side frame would not fit. Fixed it, but not really happy. I'm doing a 4b so there is a bomb and the bomb panel is installed. If you dont do many 109s, be aware the bottom panel is not installed on a regular fighter. The instructions dont really show that.

DSC02483.JPG

DSC02482.JPG

DSC02480.JPG

DSC02478.JPG

DSC02477.JPG

DSC02479.JPG

Have to finish gun site and make seat belts and then can start to button fuse up. Comments welcome.
James

Looking good James, the wash does add a lot. Sure is a lot of color on the IP panel, looks really good. (y) (y)

Thanks all. What a nice kit this is. Very well engineered. If you have one I have to point out one thing. Ensure you have the instrument panel and gun panel installed in the cockpit egg before you attach the sides. I usually leave the ip till later. Luckily as I tried dry fitting the ip I realized it really had to go on when stated and I managed to pry the fuselage halves apart enough to get it in and positioned. I then had to put the gun platform in to maintain proper alignment as the glue drys. I think I may have lost a handle though. So it was a close thing. Hope I have no problems putting the seat in after the fact.
James

Greetings James;

I have a couple pic for you.

ME-109/E Cockpit

*** For cockpit color ONLY... ME-109/G cockpit ***

nice work on the 109........ :D

Mike

Back