• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

B1 bis

Tim A.

Started a new project, Tamiya's B1 bis. I'm very happy with the kit so far as I've gotten this far in just a couple of hours- Thats smoking fast for me. I love the no hassle snap together track links. They were done in five minutes! still got to clean them up but geeze, what a breeze they'll be to paint. And look...no road wheels to paint up!
I know that fast builds is not the name of the game but it's refreshing to see actual progress in an evening. I'm really digging this kit and it looks bad to the bone.

Tim

cover_art_1_20101126_1195713909.jpg

bis_3_2_20101126_1669143649.jpg

bis_1_4_20101126_1910768875.jpg

bis_2_3_20101126_1901506059.jpg

Oh yeah, thats a great kit and Echelon do some cool decals for it (although you get a pretty good choice in the kit anyway). If you want to see some pics of the kits subjects this site has just about every B1bis listed http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=524&Itemid=66

I built 'Var' and added some rivet detail and a resin cupola, mantlet and radio antenna pot. I agree, the kit tracks are awesome and even after several coats of paint, future and matt clear my model will still move on its tracks..... :) Just make sure you get both tracks the right way round (I know you only put them on for the pics.....just can't resist it though, lol)

I love the kit. Easy build and so many different schemes. If you want to add some detail without breaking the bank the main gun mantlet needs 2 missing details. One is a pig tail hook on the top and the other is bolts.

I dont know if you can see it here.
DSC00783.jpg

The box art shows the pigtail but not the bolts. If you have 6 dome head bolts that will do it. Otherwise if you doll it up more it will be the cost of the pe.

Do you know what scheme you will do? Archer has 2 transfer sets out also.
James

Looks pretty cool so far, Tim! I agree with you about making visible progress on a build, very satisfying! Keep us posted, please!!

Thanks guys

Iowabrit yeah the left one is backwards Thanks! and thanks for the link :ro:

Hi James, I've just started looking for info on them so the detail info is greatly appreciated. Your Bis looks great btw (y)

I don't know much history on these yet but I came across this color image and was attracted to it. The kit doesn't have these markings though. Does this mean it wouldn't be correct for the model?

Again thanks all!

Tim

trackstory03_1_20101127_1956778934.jpg

I'll have to look at the book and see. The kit while a Bis can be made into its different versions. The pe sets I've seen are broken into long or short track guard. I'll look tomorrow to see which one that is.
James

Hi Maniac, Nice looking model! You've got quite a collection :notworthy Thanks for sharing it all.

Tim

:huh: Boy I'm really curious as to how they repaired any of the wheels on this one ? :sick: Looks really good though.

Thanks Randy and Chris

Chris, mabey they didn't think they would last long enough to have too :cheer:

It's going to be fun to paint.

Tim

Char B ... one of the most clumsy and old fashioned tanks in WWII ... but it´s soooo atractive to me!

Nice assembly ... you´ll really enjoy weathering all those big lateral plates!

Thanks jose and Raiderfan

No progress since the jack rabbit start. :blush: Comparing the kit with prototype photo's there seems to be a problem with how the kit handled the 75mm Howitzer mantlet. There's probably an aftermarket fix but I'm going to make do with styrene and putty. There is other minor issues but this one is bothering me.

jose, your right! in several of the pics there is heavy streaking. It appears to be in the same areas on different tanks. Is this oil?

Tim

Hi there.

If one was doing a series of tanks to show their development then this would be a great model as it sure shows the WWI heritage of the British Mk IV to which it bears a very strong resemblance.

Good luck with the mantlet conversion.

Cheers from Peter

Hi Peter, You can tell it's a Renault. My favorite tank is the FT17 I don't why, mabey cause it's little like me, kinda wierd and looks like something I could almost afford :laugh:

Tim

I could not find my Char 1 book. Must be packed still. The mantlet is easy to fix and cheap. Some wire twisted into a pig tail on top and 6 bolts

This pic the bolts look like dome rivets
Char-B1bis-Saumur.0004axt0.jpg

From wiki fair use
A ballpoint pen pressed in lead or tin foil or thin plastic should work.

James

Hi James, Glad you posted this pic. In some photos the mantlet appears to be mounted (riveted) on top of the hull but in this pic it almost looks like it is riveted flush. Thats what I'm questioning. The kit has the mantlet molded flush and even though it is all one cast piece the kit treats it as two seperate pieces. If it is flush that would save me some heap big work and I will continue with the smoking fast build :lol:

Tim

I decided to build a new set of fenders as the kit's were to thick of course and I couldn't thin them down.
The styrene set came out good. I copied the detail from the kit's but you'll have to trust me on that 'cause the pic's are terrible :sick:

Tim

bis_fender_2_1_20101212_1521854031.jpg

bis_fender_2_20101212_1419964033.jpg

bis_fender_1_3_20101212_1094197846.jpg

bis_fender_4_4_20101212_2074794655.jpg

Back