• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix P-40 Oiled up

The OD dried quicker than i thought.
h3e78042.jpg

Having some issues on the spine, had a bad spot so I hit it with sanding stick and then some more primer. but as I try to feather it in I"m removing more paint that I want causing it to be far lighter than it should be. Guess I'll do layers on it to build it up or maybe even use a black primer.

h34345b1.jpg

I picked up some Paynes Grey, interesting stuff. Goes on like a really dark grey but when feathered out it's about neutral but the residual stuff is like gunmetal. Dries quick! That over pigment went into the panel lines and had a nice effect there. I went back over with the 504 neutral grey because I had some bleeding I didn't like. Hard to work the demark, that's going to take some work in itself. The Paynes Grey will make a return soon.

That Looks really nice and smooth Bob. I will watch the Videos with Attention and check These instructions (YouTube is prohibited at the University where I am now). Question is, do you think it would be possible to get this smooth in 1/72 and with other Colors (Camouflage) as well?

I am attempting to use oils for the 1st time as a weathering in a MiG-29. I will start a thread once it is finished to Show you what a got.

Thanks a lot. For everything.

Alex

I think you stand a better chance at smoothing out the finish in a smaller scale. The Brush and quality of paint are key in this.

I also think painting in sections, before final build would help. That's something I noticed you're doing now.

I think you stand a better chance at smoothing out the finish in a smaller scale. The Brush and quality of paint are key in this.

I also think painting in sections, before final build would help. That's something I noticed you're doing now.

Thanks master. Indeed I am starting to do it now, painting in sections. Then I smooth things over with very diluted paint in the borders and in the Panels. it is working better.

Cheers

Alex

So, whatcha gonna build using this technique?
BTW, Plasmo does do a clear coat, brushed on gloss before decals. Not sure what brand that is, might be something in Europe.

So, whatcha gonna build using this technique?
BTW, Plasmo does do a clear coat, brushed on gloss before decals. Not sure what brand that is, might be something in Europe.

You'll see, I will try it on a Luftwaffe MiG-29 and a Sukhoi SU-33. I have been using Airfix Gloss and Matt heavily diluted for the coating after oils. Kinda works but I wull look into that Plasmo stuff.

Just a note, Plasmo is the person doing the youtube video. Not a product.

https://www.patreon.com/plasmo

I saw this yesterday in person and I have to say it looks really good. This is definitely a viable option that can produce excellent results. There is definitely a learning curve involved but it's nothing overly complicated.

If you don't wish to use a solvent based oil paint you can use Winsor and Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil. I use these in my weathering process but now I'm starting to think about using them as part of my base color painting.

Here is a great into video about Winsor and Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXJFQ_4gHQ

:v

One of the pros that paints the large figures I have started acquiring uses water colors a fair amount in the fine detailing of the figures he paints. He says that they are used so if he makes a mistake it is easily cleaned off.

Man if I knew I was this close to finishing....still didn't have time and not really finished. Need to get some exhaust stains going down the side, I think that Paynes Grey will do well.

h11df269.jpg

h826454e.jpg

h219593b.jpg

hb8a7d21.jpg

h52516a7.jpg

Figured out a good trick for the Future seal coat, thinned it half and half with Windex and used one of those big mop brushes, got a really nice coat on.
Think I do need a flat coat now and some more weathering, what do y'all think?

Back