• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another Jug: Finished

Another Jug

Honestly, I was not happy with the finish as it was.

I is now.... :eek:hyeah

I kept looking at photos of the P47 and could not see the dissimilar panels like you do on the P51, all I could see is oxidized aluminum. I saw a couple of shots from up top and saw that the gun/ammo bays seemed to have a higher shine, don't know why but. The chrome was too bright, but it has that reflective quality I want, so what to do?

I pulled out one of my old builds and gave this a test shot before doing it on this, but what I did was get the Vallejo Grey wash in the airbrush and misted it over everything. Very light, it's more of a hint of blue. I think it defused the shine just enough to get the effect of oxidization.

Thanks to Gerry I'm rearmed with Polished Aluminum and have decided this will be my weapon of choice going forward.

h961b928.jpg

Notice the flat fuel tank? That's Polished Aluminum right on the plastic. I like it! See it on the wings, that's the same color but on a glossy surface with the chrome/black base.

he0255b1.jpg

I'm really diggin this now, think I got my NMF bird I wanted. Got the antiglare shield painted. I went with OD, I've read that it was black and I've read it was OD, I don't know, I went with OD.

Next up, clear coat and then some decals. Working on landing gear now.

Whatcha'll think? :woohoo:

Another Jug

shhhh....not so loud. Still time to screw up.

The kit comes with invasion strip decals, I started to put them on and was worried about them snugging down and my trying to use some solvent (which screwed up one of my failed attempts) so I'm gonna paint it.

20" stripes on the wings starting 6 foot in from the wing tip, 18" on the fuselage. Will break out the calculator on this. Gonna need some :zen

Another Jug

Simply perfect.

The left wing gun and ammo bays look like they are actually removable, it's beautiful. I'm sure both sides do, but the light in the photo is glaring a bit on the right side.

Time to grab the iModel app (it's free, great paint ref too) to do your scale measurements.

Another Jug

I'm on Android Jeff, using Model Scale Calculator

Yes both sides are the same. I picked out a couple of access panels to high light also. May yet do some more with different color metals like at the waste gate just behind the cowl. :zen

Another Jug

I've missed a lot on this MP, beautiful work! That's an amazing NMF so far!

The OD for the antiglare panel looks good with the red cowl.

:popcorn

Another Jug

Honestly, I was not happy with the finish as it was.

I is now.... :eek:hyeah

I kept looking at photos of the P47 and could not see the dissimilar panels like you do on the P51, all I could see is oxidized aluminum. I saw a couple of shots from up top and saw that the gun/ammo bays seemed to have a higher shine, don't know why but. The chrome was too bright, but it has that reflective quality I want, so what to do?

I pulled out one of my old builds and gave this a test shot before doing it on this, but what I did was get the Vallejo Grey wash in the airbrush and misted it over everything. Very light, it's more of a hint of blue. I think it defused the shine just enough to get the effect of oxidization.

Thanks to Gerry I'm rearmed with Polished Aluminum and have decided this will be my weapon of choice going forward.

h961b928.jpg

Notice the flat fuel tank? That's Polished Aluminum right on the plastic. I like it! See it on the wings, that's the same color but on a glossy surface with the chrome/black base.

he0255b1.jpg

I'm really diggin this now, think I got my NMF bird I wanted. Got the antiglare shield painted. I went with OD, I've read that it was black and I've read it was OD, I don't know, I went with OD.

Next up, clear coat and then some decals. Working on landing gear now.

Whatcha'll think? :woohoo:
\DAMN thats great!!!! (y) :popcorn

Another Jug

I think I need to get that knife out from under the thing before it scews up the bottom!! :bang head

Another Jug

Looks good, Bob. Just remember to take out your dentures and hold your tongue just right... :D

Another Jug

Got it looking really nice Bob. (y) (y)

Really have enjoyed the Vallejo washes also :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Another Jug

Thanks Chris, I got more plans on the Vallejo washes so stay tuned.

In the meantime...

INVASION!!!!

I can't believe I pulled this off. Really didn't plan on doing it but Cindy is doing some year end school work and I can't make much racket up in the house so...the vibes were just there. I started masking and figurin', had to apply some higher math to get the lines right.

heb99f7f.jpg

I masked off the areas that were going to get the stripes and wanted a strong tough paint for the white. Tamyia White Primer, nothing tougher than that! Dries quick and tough for the next round of masking so git'er done.

ha51c0de.jpg

Then marked off and mask for the black. I wanted something easier to remove incase of trouble so I went with Vallejo Model Air black. Shoot, soap and water can clean it up!

h3db5623.jpg

Masked pulled off and no major issues...

h714a3c4.jpg

Except this!!! WTH!!! Well that's an easy clean up, should pose no issue.

h8e55442.jpg

And the prop. Got decals for it. I built up the Curtis Electric prop first and then notice in some of the shots of the real Miss Fire that it was a Hamilton Standard prop. That's cool, this one looks better, May chrome the prophub. :coolio

Well another sealcoat on everything and then decals. Still time to screw it up so keep the :zen flowin'!

:pilot

Another Jug

Dear Bob.

Really I´m very impressed with this project...in my opinion , the best from yours :good:

Congratulations :drinks

:coolio ... following with full atention!

Best regards!

Luiz.

Another Jug

Finished the prop :pilot

h9678568.jpg

Figure I've been running my mouth about canopy techniques I should try the double mask thing. Masked inside and out, painted first black. Then on the inside Interior Green (not 100% sure that would be correct but I did it) and I'll get a polish aluminum on the outside. We'll see how it goes.

hd0268b5.jpg

Another Jug

Gladta see ya gettin' this one lookin' sharp!! Time ta break out da B) (y) Prop looks great!! :drinks

Back