• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

8 Ton Halftrack and 88 mm gun

OK folks, I tired something tonight. Not going to say what it was till I get feed back, don't care if it's good or bad but I would like feed back. :mpup

This is from the other day.
DSCF0268.JPG

and this is today

DSCF0276.JPG

DSCF0277.JPG

DSCF0278.JPG

DSCF0279.JPG

DSCF0280.JPG

Remember, I'm not doing much in the cargo bed, it's going to be covered. If it sucks I can clean it off and start over.

MOONIE,

I can't put a finger on it yet ... I Dig it ! the "wash" has dampened the colors. even given them depth. Personally I'd hit it with some base coat dry brushing after this "wash" cures. That Muffler screems to be picked out with some Rust pigments !! :D

although the 1st. picture after the treatment it's a bit too dark to tell. Those Road Wheels Rock ! :ro: The color & depth will really PoP after a lil' dusting !! :hmmm the wooden side panels .. Weather City !! Rock-On Big Daddy ! :ro: :drinks

Looking good Bob. I tried an overall wash on a cpl models of mine before. If you want to take it a step further try some Dot-Filtering. It gives the paint different Hues.

Joe

I am planning on doing that dry brush trick Erik, no doubt about it. The wheels seem to be picking up the effect more than the sides are. If this works and once it cures I will pin wash it, do your dry brushing and pigments.

I like it MP. But the second pic is dark. Are you going to flat coat it? A bit shinny for me, but color and wash look good. Maybe bang it up a bit more and leave head light off, with wires showing??......Harv

That's exactly what i'm going to do Harv, planned on putting a small piece of pipe where the headlamp was with a couple of wires hangin out.

Yes it will be flat coated to knock that shine off.

So .... We're waiting .... :soldier SO what did you use for your "wash' ? I keep lookin at th pix !! It turned out Great !! I can't wait to see it weathered & Then it's really gonna Bust Loose !! :drinks

I use oil wash...and airbrushed it. Sort of a Spray Wash... :mpup. Thinned down oil color with the turpinoid and loaded it up in the airbrush and gave it several mistings. it didnt' work as well on the textured surfaces as it did the smooth stuff.

WOW !!! I've thought about trying that ... Now for th Million Dollar (USD) question - Was it easy to clean up th Airbrush afterwards ?

You are making good progress. Personally I think you are crazy. This type of project is a killer, no hidden areas, tons of details to paint, just think about the crew gear you are going to have to add... :silly: :Hiay

your words are ringing more and more true.... :bang head

Erik it wasn't so bad because it was thin, just squirt some turp through, then some windex and all clean. probably not as clean as it should be but clean enough... :dance

One thng for sure, you're not going to paint any pencil thin lines with that stuff.

MP what you have done looks good. The overall wash is my second step after painting and panel shading the base colors. The wash adds an shadow effect and creates depth. When the wash dries I would seal it with Future so that any other paint you apply won't mix with the oil.

B)

Thanks Terry, I was thinking of trying to pull some off but if I add to this in more layers well that's where the depth comes from that you guys master so well. cool! :mpup

I'm liking where you are headed, it's a lot of vehicle to cover. I'd say keep building layers of colors, but in areas rather than overall at this point, will change and enhance them. Rock on bro!! :ro:

Hey,Bob.
I am liking what you are doing to the 8 ton HT.I would go with Mike's advice.
I am glad you give it weathering and not are going for the look in my Militracks pictures.
These Militracks vehicles are in such a good condition,that they don't look like the real stuff......:silly:

No really,these vehicles are so well protected from the weather elements most time of the year,that they hardly show any weathering at all.
[Well the Renault staff car is really the exception to the rule].

Greetings,Ron.

You're right Ron, just sitting out in the elements will weather anything down. Just parking your vehicle under a car port or some other covered shelter keeps it newer looking than parked out of one.

OK, here's what I have done. I took the 88 and gave it an overall dusting/misting of dark grey. just lightly. I'm hoping this will fade it some, maybe it was the wrong color to use. I'll have some pictures to post later. Seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Usually when I see light at the end of the tunnel, it's a freight train! :D I won't get to see your pix until tomorrow, headed for the rack in a few minutes. 4:45 AM comes early!!

Excellent work! B):ro: Very nice model.
I will buy a L 4500 R Maultier in 1/35 scale by Zvezda for my future diorama :blink

All the best!
Dusan.

Back