• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The Fata Morgana G

Impisi

I know, I said somewhere I do have figures and BMW and what so ever on the table, yes, that was right, but then this Groub buuild started where I promised to be in, so I cleaned my desk and got it out

Making-Of-001.jpg

From what I know the Phaedra kit is the only Mirage G kit ever made. The kit showed up quite a while ago in 2011 and having some scale modeling friends in France did help to get one with a reasonable price tag. Nowadays the prices for those are rediciolous high.

As the box tells, it was first flown 1967; only one of the G was build and it crashed 1971. After the G followed the G-4 with already 2 engines but this was only a quick in between version. Very soon after the G-4 the G-8 followed from which 2 were built. The G-8 with 2 engines is available from Anigrand or Planet Models and Modelsvit said that they will do one too. From the G-8 the G8A with fixed wings was designed, but only a mockup was built. The G8A was available from Shakrkit but it looks like Sharkit is history - well at least for now.
From The G there was also a Mockup done for a swing wing plane with two engines which was thought to be a British-French Swing Winger, but that also never got very far.

For me all Mirage always were my biggest interest and I did collect books and kits but with my big stash sale 6 or 7 years ago, a lot of them were sold. I only kept some of the very seldom ones, so I also have the Phaedra Mirage III F2 in stash and some others.

OK enough about that.

That is what's in the box
Making-Of-002.jpg

That's all. So downside is only some French textual written instructions and some missing decals, upside is you dont have to cut the pieces from big castings

Last edited:
and here is the explanation for my complaining about the missing decals:

AMD-Mirage-G-072-Phaedra-001.jpg

on the rudder on top of the blue-white-red there is written "AVIONS MARCEL DASSAULT MIRAGE G".
Next to the also missing "Mirage G" near the radom there is written "AVION EXPERIMENTAL A GEOMETRIE VARIABLE".
The Text between the warning signs below the canopies i don't know. I could not find a image where the text would be readable. It is the little rescue window for opening the canopies from extern

AMD-Mirage-G-072-Phaedra-002.jpg

The last is not that essential, some "dots" would be enough in 1/72, but the other three are a must have for that

And, yes all of them are on both sides.

So, if I cannot find some decals, I would have to print some.

and, yes, I already started the decals.

Making-Of-001.jpg

So far it looks usable. All I have to do now is to print them, which isn't a problem at all. But, years ago I sold all my enamel paints because of the smell, and now I need some clear varnish to fix the decals - well, then I'll probably go and buy a pot of paint.

For the Mirage not much has happened so far, a few repairs of some very tiny holes, some sanding of mold errors but not much and the two fuselage halves are glued together

Making-Of-002.jpg

Thanks for looking in

There are images showing it with externale tanks, but this was only a protype, it never went operational, but .. Vought, which were busy thinking about a concept which later became a plane called Tomcat made a lot of testing on this one.

Oh My! Yes I have some resin plane kits, but they are always not for the faint hearted. So far so good!
An interesting plane to be sure!
Popcorn-Watching-with.jpg

Thanks a lot Gentlemen!

it is quite a simple build so far. Sure some filling and sanding, but that is to be expected with an all resin kit. So it is taking up shape

Making-Of-001.jpg

Making-Of-002.jpg

So up for the details inside the pit, not that much, but a little more than only some seats
Making-Of-003.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Thanks a lot Gentlemen!

I had quite some fun with the canopy, it did not want to fit in very well but some magic sculp did help in the end

Making-Of-001.jpg

Making-Of-002.jpg

Making-Of-004.jpg

it is not perfect but will do.

so the first base level of grey did find its way onto the Fata Morgana

Making-Of-005.jpg

Making-Of-006.jpg

Making-Of-007.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Back