• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Close to getting all of the ratlines on.
20230521_174735.jpg
20230521_174626-01.jpeg

Hey Tim . That looks really good . A small question though . Aren't the hoops that are around the mast supposed to be a dark color ?

Cheers, Christian

Last edited:
Hey Tim . That looks really good . A small question though . Aren't the hoops that are around the mast supposed to be a dark color ?
Be aware that there are two types of nitrogen bottles available . Get the dry type .

Cheers, Christian
Hi there Christian.
The iron mast bands on the Constitution are painted white. Period paintings show this is the case too. However some ships do show their bands painted. The painting of HMS Victory in dry dock by my friend Richard John Holden "RJ" shows her bands black. Ships with unpainted masts would paint these bands to keep them from rusting.
The molded bands on Revell's kit are way to pronounced, 1960's tooling. I wasn't up to the challenge of shaving them down!
Screenshot_20230522_094409_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20230522_093942_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Finally I'm on to the yards! The ship will be displayed with the sails furled. I've decided do all of the mast's top most yards the (Royal's), and work my way down, and back. After some trial and error I think I've come up with a method. Professional shipwrights would cringe, but it's satisfactory for me. The silkspan material I'm using to represent the sail canvas is perfect and easy to manipulate when wet.
20230608_195834-01.jpeg
20230608_191931.jpg

Back