• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

Watching with interest. I've built modern plastic warships / carriers and wood boats and ships, but never a plastic sailing ship. Will be watching your progress. I might just try one of those.
Great job. The research is sometimes as interesting as the build. Do you have a book or something for research?

Watching with interest. I've built modern plastic warships / carriers and wood boats and ships, but never a plastic sailing ship. Will be watching your progress. I might just try one of those.
Great job. The research is sometimes as interesting as the build. Do you have a book or something for research?
Your right about the research. I'm searching online. Since it's launch in 1797 the ship has changed it's look a few times. The Revell's version is based on the model in the Peabody Essex maritime museum. Built in 1812 by the sailors that served on it, it's considered a very accurate replica of how it looked then.

Stern of the 200 plus year old model at the Peabody Essex Museum. Photo looks like it was taken through the glass case.
L1080774 (1).JPG

I went to Boston for fleet week around '88 or so. Got a chance to board her and was totally impressed. In order to be assigned to her you have to be in excellent health, a certain height and must have at least 3.8 on your evals for the previous year. To me it would be the second greatest honor right after the Unknown Guard.

I went to Boston for fleet week around '88 or so. Got a chance to board her and was totally impressed. In order to be assigned to her you have to be in excellent health, a certain height and must have at least 3.8 on your evals for the previous year. To me it would be the second greatest honor right after the Unknown Guard.
Nice Paul👍
The waiting list for sailors wanting their turn to serve aboard her must be a long one.
I think next year we're going to see her.

Did the 1812 USS Constitution not have Andrew Jackson up forward as Her figurehead?
I read the figurehead was destroyed in 1804 when Constitution, and another American ship collided. When they repaired the damage the figurehead was replaced with a scroll billethead. Then, in 1808 the billethead was recarved again to how it appears on the model.

Did the 1812 USS Constitution not have Andrew Jackson up forward as Her figurehead?
The very first photograph of the ship, taken in the 1850's. Text said it was having it's bullwarks closed in. Looks like they also had Andrew Jackson back on the bow too,
266.2-Salt-paper-print-1858 (1).jpg
Rhino.

Getting the top deck, and lower mast's ready. I wanted to do this so there won't be any surprises when it's time to install. (Less chance of damaging the finished gun deck).
Gluing up the top deck as one piece allowed me to reinforce it on the underside. I believe it needs it.
IMG_20210626_193140640-01.jpeg
IMG_20210626_193111444-01.jpeg

Back