• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/96 scale USS Constitution build.

My sails hit the garbage as they were so thin and messed up they were beyond salvage. Also the box was quite water damaged, and I found one part was missing a bit. Have the mirror image part for the other side so I will scratch build the missing section.
Bob Letterman has a Heller ship he is planning on building and says there is an aftermarket company in the Czech republic that makes sails for these. Supposed to be a LOT better than the vac sails. After I built my Constitution years ago I decided to never do sails on a ship again.

Wow! A Victory! I always wanted to build one of those but the rigging is too daunting for me!
It's a nicely molded kit. I been reading through the instruction booklet to familiarize myself with the steps and such. It'll take a few more read threws for me I think..lol.

Rigging the hammock stanchions
IMG_20220313_134940184.jpg

The biggest problem I had building my Constitution back when was knocking the gun deck cannons loose. They were all sticking out and probably knocked about 80% of them off and had to do weird horrid gluing to make them stay in place after the fact. If I were to do it again I would figure out some way to 3d print some protectors that would press into the square openings around the guns.

I just couldn't do the kit's one piece molded deadeyes & lanyards. Which means making new channels, which means making new chain plates, which means a lot of work to do to rig the deadeyes proper. So while I wait on the new deadeyes to arrive I've decided to replace the fore, main & mizzen mast's royal masts with wood. The reason is these top most masts are pretty dainty and the plastic won't stay straight when the rigging puts tension on them. The pic shows the foremast with the much stronger basswood royal mast in place.
DSC_0004_19-01.jpeg
DSC_0004_19-01.jpeg
DSC_0003_15-01.jpeg
DSC_0002_18-01.jpeg

DSC_0002_19-02.jpeg
I have the fore, main and mizzen top gallant masts redone using bass wood. None of the masts, fighting tops or cross trees are glued up yet. There's still a lot of work to do on them but the deadeyes I ordered for the shroud's channels are here so it's time to jump back to working on them.

Back