• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 Regia Aeronautica: Fiat BR.20M COMPLETED

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

So I have decided to start a sort of "on-going" Topic for some of my attempts with WWII Italian aircraft (my true Passion in modelism) and share them with you outside the campaigns.

The first one is a classic and probably the best biplane ever built - yet way too obsolete for WWII. Still, it was so maneuverable that Hurricane pilots could only hit it with dive and shoot passes, never in a tight dogfight. This is the Fiat CR.42 Falco (Hawk), the last Project of Celestino Rosatelli. I am building the Italeri 1/72 with PE from Eduard, representing an airplane of the 161° Gruppo based in Rhodes during 1941.

First Pictures and PE:

h586b07c.JPG

h704fa7f.JPG

h8407b6c.JPG

h13f6f7c.JPG

h13ca247.JPG

h6eeb441.JPG

h02b074f.JPG

he45b2a9.JPG

h2c97376.JPG

Cheers

Alex

My 1/72 Regia Aeronautica: Plane 1 (Fiat CR.42)

Hi Alex ! You are a building machine :good:

Excellent choice . I built that one a couple years back . A real dream of a kit.

Lots of color schemes (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys, you are ever so kind.

The Falco is one of my favorite Italian birds. I really tried a few times, never got it right. Let's see now. The PE worked out fine, the assembly was uneventful. I decided to leave two parts of the cowling open for a Diorama with a few mechanics. This was as always the most difficult part, somehow I never manage to get the engine and the cowling to fit right. A lot of cursing and finally it worked. I hope the glue is not too thick there.

This is the progress thus far:

h6d7a059.JPG

hfe0ea61.JPG

h5e753c1.JPG

h536c31b.JPG

Cheers,

Alex

P.S: Luiz, forte abraco para ti também!

:popcorn One of my favorites as well :good:

I do have to admit though that I like the CR.32 as well but there's only one kit and it's difficult to build.
Maybe now, I know enough to get one done. :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and Support.

Christian, do you mean the old Supermodel kit? There is a new one from Italeri, released 2 years ago, which has a Major update compared to the old Supermodel. This is actually the next one in line on my bench together with a Fiat BR.20. You should try this new one, it is a great kit. There is even excellent Eduard
PE available for it. Go for it! :ro:

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2245&idCategoria=1&idSottocategoria=0

hd82c74e.jpg

Cheers

Alex

That's cool, Alex you ever look at the Wing Nut Wing aircraft?

Hey Bob

I can't say that I have seen. AFAIK Wingnut Wings produces only WWI aircraft in 1/32 scale. The Fiat Cr.32 is an early 30s aircraft, I don't think the chaps in NZ would be interested. I will check it out though. In any case, I only build 1/72...

Cheers

Alex

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and Support.

Christian, do you mean the old Supermodel kit? There is a new one from Italeri, released 2 years ago, which has a Major update compared to the old Supermodel. This is actually the next one in line on my bench together with a Fiat BR.20. You should try this new one, it is a great kit. There is even excellent Eduard
PE available for it. Go for it! :ro:

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2245&idCategoria=1&idSottocategoria=0

hd82c74e.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Exactly ! It's all good till you try to assemble the struts and upper wing .

Back before 1980 I did not have enough knowledge to do that .

I have seen three that were assembled since then . Two rather poorly but the one in the magazine in 2015 was quite good

I have one in the stash awaiting courage :rotf but I believe I could do it now :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Alex. I missed that part about I should assemble it . You're right of course . I even have the PE, which means that if I live long enough I probably will.

Right now I have such a back log of good kits to build it's tough to justify building what I know will be another fight in progress.

Instead, I get distracted with this Junkers kit which was probably not made by a rocket scientist :idonno

Oh well, there is a certain charm to it. Sort of looking at a Bulldog and saying it's cute :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Beautiful plane...and you are doing a great job!

Forte abraco meu amigo!

Luiz

Morning everyone!

Luiz, many thanks! Valeu mesmo.

Christian, you sound like a 100 y.o. :eek:ldguy I am sure you have plenty of time for a small Cr.32.

Bob, I suck royally in painting and finishing a model, but assembling has never been a problem. I built 3 Cr.32 before joining MA and learning all These new tricks of the trade, but I did not have any problems with the wings or struts. Here are a few pics:

h1ba8aae.JPG

h1d94eaf.JPG

hae40b30.JPG

As for the Falco, here is the progress so far. I hope I can finish before my vacation. We'll see.

h57f6a15.JPG

h67454d3.JPG

h78df895.JPG

h76ab5c5.JPG

ha081d46.JPG

Cheers everyone,

Alex

Nice progress mate hope you get her done before you go away on holiday

Hi Alex . Good to see some of those together . It makes it look more doable :good: . Very nice mix .

Pretty funny Alex. Well, I am not 100 year old but there are more than a hundred more models waiting in the pile . As a matter I have not taken the time to count them .

When I was 50 , I though I would certainly build for another 100 more years .

Since then I have come to realise that the usefulness of a body declines and the ability to do these tiny things become harder . At some point those two lines on the graph will cross each other.

Although I could surely build the CR.32 , there is a long line of models that seem to be more important.

Very doubtful I will ever see them all built. That Fiat may or may not see daylight .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey guys

Christian, I am sure you will keep on modelling for many years to come. You can always manipulate the data on the graph so that the lines cross in infinity.. ;) BTW is that a Wallonian rooster on your Avatar?

So there is a bit of Progress to report. The base Giallo Mimetico 3 and the first camo (Verde Mimetico 2) are in place. It took a bit of effort without the airbrush but very satisfying nonetheless. Enjoy and thanks for looking!

h8791927.JPG

he3f1a5c.JPG

hbf95220.JPG

hea7f88d.JPG

hb3502e5.JPG

Cheers

Alex

Nice progress Alex The paints look quite nice (y)

Indeed it is . We may have come from a long line of chicken pluckers :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Back