• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Nighfighters Italian Style - Biplanes - COMPLETED

Flyingbabydoc

Hi everyone,

my addition to the campaign will be two little FIAT biplanes which were used (believe it or not) as night fighters in the defense of Sicily in 1940 and Rome in 1943. I can only imagine the courage of an Italian pilot sitting in his open cockpit at night, no radio, no radar, trying to gun down allied bombers with two 12,7mm Breda-Safat guns, and for that I think they should be remembered.

I will be assemblying a Fiat Cr.42 Falco and a Fiat Cr.32 (its predecessor) both Italeri kits in 1/72 with Eduard PE.

The first one will be an aircraft flown by Capt. Torchio in the 377a Squadriglia for the defense of Rome; this aircraft had experimental search lights underneath the wings, which will be represented here.
1620123675113.png

the second one is a Fiat Cr.32 from the 71a Squadriglia in Sicily in the beginning of the war. As always brush painted with acrylics. Wish me luck!

1620123833174.png

I am not sure how long the campaign runs but I will try my best to finish them on time!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers

Alex

Initial pictures:

IMG_5480.jpg
IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_5482.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all of you,

Sorry I was AWOL again. A lot going on at the hospital as usual.

Well, I already began this project and it has been very pleasurable. The CR.32 will have to wait a bit since I thought that I had another Eduard PE Sheet but I did not - it was hard to find one, eventually I got one in the US and now I am waiting for it to arrive. Just a little picture of the opened model.
IMG_5605.jpg

In the meantime the office and engine of the Falco (Cr.42) are ready. Here are the pictures. I hope you like. Your input is always welcome!

Cheers

Alex
IMG_5570.jpg
IMG_5571.jpg
IMG_5572.jpg
IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg
IMG_5565.jpg
IMG_5566.jpg
IMG_5567.jpg
IMG_5568.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg
IMG_5573.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciated.

I really like building these little buggers. they are such an anachronism, first flight in the same year of the P-38 and FW 190! Still, they performed as well as they could given the circumstances and were absolutely excellent for aerobatics.

This is a little progress to show you, things are taking shape. Now on to painting, I will be using the Grigio Azurro Scuro (similar to FS 36237). Some books insist on a black camouflage but that has never been confirmed.

Still waiting on the PE for the Cr. 32, will be delayed apparently.

Cheers and thanks for looking

Alex

IMG_5575.jpg
IMG_5576.jpg
IMG_5577.jpg
IMG_5578.jpg

Thanks a lot dear friends (yes I mean also you dave... :))

Unfortunately I have not yet received the PE for the CR.32 and I think it does make a huge difference in the model, so I will be waiting for that. In the meantime here is some progress on the little Falco.
Assembly and Painting are done, now on to decals and final touches. I love these little guys, I am planning on building a Swedish one in Skies next.

Cheers and thanks for looking

Alex
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5580.jpg
IMG_5581.jpg
IMG_5582.jpg
IMG_5583.jpg
IMG_5584.jpg
IMG_5585.jpg
IMG_5586.jpg
IMG_5587.jpg
IMG_5588.jpg