• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 Banshee Island

I made so many little models while I was laid off, it's been hard to decide what model goes with which set, to get them packaged and for sale.

hbc22a57.JPG

Instructions & Box art done today. There might be 10 sets produced. (3 are ready to go now) Shipping & material costs are on rise.
Summer has historically has not been the best time to release a new model kit like mine.

I KNOW the Monticello show is in 2 weeks. I hope to have CSS Arkansas and USS Carondelet ready to present. Arkansas' little boat was stuck to a bit of tape that I could not find, so I picked up my desk a little. I was happily modeling along, then I heard a sound. Several Sounds, in truth. Sawing, impact driver going. Hammering. I went to see what was going on in the off-season for Santa's workshop. My Sweetie was working on her DVD Shelf project. :facepalm:
20210404_141442.jpg
As we make my former bachelor pad into "Our House" Teresa has LOTS of ideas.
20210404_152948.jpg
Then This happened!! My old entertainment center is EMPTY! (notice my in-scale Death Star orbiting near the Earth?) Time to give it to another single guy!
I digress, as usual. I never did find CSS Arkansas' boat today. I DID have another idea (ME?!?) and made Tiki-Bar 2.0.
20210404_180658.jpg20210404_180712.jpg20210404_180724.jpg
A Japanese/Philippine "Comfort House". On pilings to avoid any storm surge that may occur. Classic staircase by the entrance. Generous sun deck, Tiki-bar with bamboo log texture outside. Guess what goes on upstairs? I do not wish for you Men to think I have any first hand experience in such an establishment! The "Asian House" is part of a set I bought from David Angelo. The deck, pilings, staircase and Tiki Bar are all mine. I do not think it appropriate to sell this modification of another Man's idea for profit. As if TLAR ever produced profit dollars!!:tomato:
I couldn't help myself!! I pray the Lord our God will forgive my creation of a Tiki Bar/Cat house on Easter Sunday.
At very least the 1/700 PEE Foam Party figures will have a comfy spot to play.
Save yourselves!! It may be too late for ME!!

Thanks for having a look-see!!

20210408_192917.jpg20210408_192936.jpg
Having sanded off some of the Geisha House details, I cut PEE winders and doors and put them back on with Future as an adhesive. I plan to make a couple for my own use, then send the mold to David in the PI, since it is his "property".
Thanks for looking in!!

It turns out the Loose Cannon Asian houses set was created by Hugh Letterly, rather than David Angelo. Hugh has generously donated the legal rights to his intellectual property to TLAR so I may sell them for profit.
20220827_101556.jpg

Every handful of pea-rock of chunk of crap I run across is material for modeling. Sometimes I spill resin while I pour castings and it runs into an interesting shape. I mold the more interesting ones. Sometime I actually make a new island on purpose!
These 5 new islands are additions to Kit #519. I am contacting every TLAR customer that bought this set to offer the "Expansion Pack" at no charge, once the new mold is cast. Such is the value added service I take pride in.

I see lots on ship modelers posing their excellent model ships, sans bow wake or wave, underway on a flat calm sea. You know, because every expanse of salt water ocean is so often peaceful and free from wind and wave.
A stationary island could prove interesting to show the vessel in motion, don't you think?

Looks like your customers get a lot of bang for the buck.
That's the idea.
Most mainstream resin model makers cast on a thin wafer. You have to wet-sand the article to remove the surrounding material.
This hook shaped island and the new Island class cutter set island are made in this way. Using the wafer method is, cheaper, easier and generates less wasted resin material and uses less RTV silicone mold for the model maker.
Care must be taken when casting such molds is messy. Overly enthusiastic sanding means the customer has to build the model back to square and flat on his own. It's a pain in the butt for the modeler to get his scale model just so. I don't favor the wafer method. It seems cheap.

Most everything else I make is cast on a pedestal, so that the bottom of each, building, tent or vessel has a flat base or waterline hull. Smarter, deeper molds with all the complexities of the ship, boat, vehicle or aircraft contours take more RTV mold silicone and valuable time.
Conversely, tooling these deeper molds and getting the air bubbles out to insure a quality scale model requires more diligence and liquid polyurethane resin, much of which is waste, by the time the pedestals and frameworks are cut away for packaging.

As far back as the 1/700 Shrimpin' Boat set in 2015, I made up my mind that the quality of my products would be tantamount.
If I am not happy with the model, why would you be? I don't shirk on the quality of decals or other products I buy to include.
If I can't make them myself, I out-source from other American small businesses as often as is possible.

Many "do-overs" of masters and molds insure a TLAR Model easier and more fun to build than the first issue. I know this, because I build every model I sell. Many of them are award winners in IPMS model shows.

I am a former automotive aftermarket Field Sales Representative. I know what Customer Service excellence is. Secure packaging, English instructions that make sense and speedy shipping at a reasonable cost. It is common for related bonus items to find their way into a TLAR kit before it ships.

Price:
The price is the price. Because of the time and labor intensive effort it takes to get a new Kit to market, I don't dicker much. In a world of ever increasing model kit costs, I had my first price increase this year. "By Cheap, Buy Twice". I used to offer a discount to model ship club members, but that relationship has cooled. I take good care of my model friends.
You know who you are.

Well. That's enough of "tooting my own horn" for now.

It's a good plan, Chris. One that lets you sleep at night.
Because of the obscure, uncommon subjects I choose, not every modeler, even ship guys, are TLAR customers. I do not wish anyone to think I believe the US Coast Guard or the Confederate Navy in the 1860's to be "Obscure".
I have found many ship modelers are SUPER serious about their work. Consider this very subject "Banshee Rock". What "Serious" modeler could be interested in such model fun? (Thank you Mr. Sherburn!) Who is to say the accursed Caribbean Banshee Rock does not, in fact, exist? (It doesn't) An Egyptian Fart Felucca? The Bomb-A-Kaze decoy drone flying explosive? What Nut incudes a clownfish in a 1/350 model kit of the Jaws ORCA?

My friends, TLAR Models are made with the greatest care for those of us that possess the ability for creative thought, for a hobby that should be a vacation from the grind of the everyday.

Except for Teresa's friggin' 1,000 palm trees!

When I do sleep, I rest well. Thanks John!

Careful, corporate spies will steal your business plan!
In any modern business transaction there is a Triad. Quality. Service. Price. It is rare that any customer will ever get all 3 'legs".
If Price is most important, you sacrifice Quality and Service.
If Quality is most important, you rarely get good delivery Service and your item may be expensive.
If Service is speedy, often Price is higher and Quality may suffer.

My "Business Plan" is older than I am.
We used to make products here in our great Nation that offered all three legs of the Triad.
For example, you could buy a replacement wheel bearing assembly that was an improved version of the original part. It outlasted the original by quite a margin. Customers complained the price was too high. Enter the international manufacturer. They created the illusion that Quality was the same and Price was lower. As consumers, we fell for the illusion and bought the cheaper part from overseas. The offshore-made wheel bearing assemblies for sale today often don't last much beyond the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty period. The Lifetime Guarantee was a casualty of this process.

There is a reason I don't walk by very many vintage Monogram Models kits without buying one. Monogram Models of Elk Grove, Illinois made quality model kits starting in 1945 that processed all 3 legs of the business Triad. A fun model to build at a reasonable price that was easily available. More recently Airfix in Great Britain, established in 1958, Tamiya Mokei in 1960 and Pit Road/Skywave in 1995 did the same in Japan, to name just a few of my favorites.

My own dinky company emulates the time-honored philosophy of Monogram's founders, so many years ago.
In today's World, I would wish EVERY other American company would be interested in such a "Business Plan". If they chose to do so, we may have been conditioned to think it may be too expensive. I have been accused of being overly altruistic. There may be truth in that accusation.

20220831_175438.jpg
Assembling the dock on the hook island. The smaller pilings are invisible thread. Ray Powers uses fishing line for his 1/35 scale attachment loops. they paint up well and you won't break them off like wire, resin or stretched sprue. Bigger pilings are of copper rod.

20220901_155938.jpg
New islands and dock, painted and ready for the updated box art picture. The 2 new Zodiac boats aren't pictured. There's a little fresh water pond on Seahorse Key (?) I haven't really settled on a name for the new larger island/atoll.
I expected to make new pictures and add to the instructions today. My expectations might have been overly optimistic. :hmm:
Thanks again for looking in!

Looks like a gecko. :coolio1:
"Progressive Cay"?! Ha!
In the proper setting, the water in the lagoon will be shallow. pale. clear blue. I deal for goofing off in the sun. Dingys, flats fishing boats, LCPL's and zodiacs will be able to make the beach. Deeper water starts just before the dock and goes deep blue after that.

With all respect and affection, "Before" suh! 1913, perhaps?

Drilling 4 #78 holes, bending copper wire and a dinky piece of sail material with fine red sharpie stripes, trimmed to fit finished The Queen.
She would not attack the German gunboat Princess Louise for a little while yet. Torpedoes can be included.

Back