• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Thank you Swordsman!

There will be plenty of other weathering done on the wing roots but before I can get to that stage I have to get the decals on the model and all of them are on but the RVD band is giving me some trouble with wrinkles...I need to keep putting decal softener on every few hours. Its looking much better that it did but this war is not over just yet. :S

Another colorful late war 109. :)

h509baac.JPG

hf1f59f9.JPG

h119cb60.JPG

Once the decals are fully settled I can give the model a thin coat of Future to seal in the decals before the oil washes can go on.

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

I really hate the delay with getting all the decals settled, I so want to get started on the weathering for this model. :frantic

Matrixone

Thank you Swordsman!

There will be plenty of other weathering done on the wing roots but before I can get to that stage I have to get the decals on the model and all of them are on but the RVD band is giving me some trouble with wrinkles...I need to keep putting decal softener on every few hours. Its looking much better that it did but this war is not over just yet. :S

Another colorful late war 109. :)

h509baac.JPG

hf1f59f9.JPG

h119cb60.JPG

Once the decals are fully settled I can give the model a thin coat of Future to seal in the decals before the oil washes can go on.

Matrixone

:good:

Thanks Bob!
The decals are as settled as they are ever going to be so I went ahead and sprayed on a thin coat of Future and just have to wait a while before I can do anything else on the model.
Not all the wrinkles were removed from the JG 300 RVD band decal and I will just have to live with it as is. :sick: This is a major fail because before now it was shaping up to be the best 109 model I have ever made and wish I would have taken a little more time and painted on the RVD band instead of trying to take the easy way out and use a decal. :bang head

Matrixone

Thank you Barney! :)

Some work with oil paint has been taking place.

This 109 is getting weathered more than the Revell kit I recently finished and a big part of this weathering is the oil stains on the undersurfaces, 109's leaked a lot of oil when in heavy use and unless the ground crew wiped this off after each mission the oil leaks attracted a lot of dust and dirt which made a huge mess and stained the fuselage undersurface.

he828581.JPG

h3d12717.JPG

Oil paint was also used on a few select panel lines mostly on the lower fuselage and engine cowl, some of it looks too stark now but after more work done with the airbrush and some fogged on enamel paint the oil paint panel line washes should look more natural. I did use black oil paint on the control surface gaps but that was about it for that color and I used shades of gray on the other panel lines.

h1b765d8.JPG

hb7b0a6b.JPG

h38b704a.JPG

h1b43013.JPG

The panel lines on the upper surface of the wings will not get any oil paint pin washes, these areas did not look to be very noticeable with panel line gaps on photographs of the full size machines.

Matrixone

Thanks Ed, Bob, Ian, and Luiz! :)

More weathering has been done, this time with enamel paints.

I wanted the undersurface of this model to look like it had operated from a wet airstrip at one time with the dirt and muddy water dried.

hc6baf6c.JPG

hbfa867e.JPG

The brown you see coming from the exhaust stacks is the base coat for the exhaust stains, I will go over this later on with highly thinned flat black paint for the final exhaust staining. I want the flat black to have a very slight brownish tint to it.
h07cf736.JPG

hb7a4e41.JPG

There will be some detail of the wheel wells added with a paint brush later on...the landing gear legs are not glued in just yet.

hcc87806.JPG

h3df8853.JPG

The temps here are expected to reach near 100 so my work on the models might be suspended for the next couple of days. Not sure when I might get this one finished. :unsure:

Matrixone

Back