• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Here are some pictures of the wings and tail planes being painted.

After a thin base coat of RLM 75 I added some highlights with white paint...I tried to keep the various panels from looking too much the same so the end result will be a more natural weathered look.

hea9b7af.JPG

hca42f2a.JPG

Next I added some pre-shading type of effects with some black added to the RLM 75, yes I know it looks like it went through a severe hail storm. ;)

haf5489f.JPG

hf8ef8d3.JPG

And finally a thin coat of RLM 75 was sprayed on to tone down the highlights and pre-shading...its not that easy to see the results in these images but the paint really does look weathered and am happy with the result. The hard part will be spraying on the RLM 74 because I will be using highlighting and pre-shading with that color too all the while trying to stay within the camouflage pattern.

h785f1c1.JPG

hfc4ada0.JPG

h2087b64.JPG

h8b00b47.JPG

Matrixone

Early this morning I painted the RLM 74 on the wings and tail planes. These were painted in a similar way that I did with the RLM 75.
Also the prop and spinner were given more weathering.

h20d1952.JPG

h322e24e.JPG

hc38225f.JPG

h58a3e67.JPG

h4ea5108.JPG

h0a85530.JPG

h0989e0b.JPG

Painting the fuselage is next.

Matrixone

Not much I could do during the local heat wave with its triple digit temps but now that has passed and I can resume modeling.

The basic camouflage scheme is painted on and its starting to look more and more like ''green 4''.

h2171ec7.JPG

h049daaa.JPG

hac24bed.JPG

he9a38ea.JPG

hb504f4f.JPG

h3cd660a.JPG

Matrixone

Les the shadowing for the insignia is a great idea, don't have to worry about thin decal bleeding the colors under it, do you use a template at all or just years of experience in knowing the size?

Thanks guys!

Bob,
The size of the fuselage cross just happens to match two panel lines which makes painting the RLM 74 center a breeze. The fuselage cross on this 109 is the white outline style with the inside of the cross filled with RLM 74 dark gray. My model copies the way the full size aircraft had its fuselage crosses painted...RLM 74 painted on first followed by the white arms of the cross.
I will be using EagleCals on this model and have never had issues before with the color beneath bleeding through the white cross using their decals.

Matrixone

Excelent painting job , one of the best that I ever seen :eek:ldguy ....the motling looks superb very realistic...work of art in all aspects (y)

:drinks

Luiz

Thank you Luiz! (y)

Some detail painting was done, RLM 02 was sprayed on the leading edge of the flaps and behind the slats. Also the rubber strip on the rear of the engine cowl was masked and painted.

hff9823f.JPG

hdd40cf9.JPG

h19431a7.JPG

After comparing the color profile with the model I noticed the upper part of the fuselage just above cross should have been painted dark gray RLM 74 so I filled those areas in.
...before
h7d209e0.JPG

...and after

h771d2e4.JPG

Matrixone

Back