• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

Thanks Ian and Bob!

Ian,
This may or not be one of the better 109's I have built but IMHO it takes the title for the most interesting. :)

Matrixone

Thanks once again Luiz, the K-4 should turn out okay but the little Academy Me 109E is a lost cause...the more I get into the build of this model the more I find wrong with it. Whoever did the research for the Me 109E must have been on acid or had only glanced once at this aircraft before deciding on what surface detail to incorporate into the molds. This is really a shame because this kit fits together quite well and has very petite panel lines and other surface detail, if Academy went through the expense of producing such nice molds why did they cut corners on the research? :bang head

....Anyway, here are two in-progress pictures.
I had planned on giving this model the full pre-shading and highlight treatment but when I did the pre-shading I noticed just how much there is wrong with this kit and cancelled the highlighting and will go ahead and finish the model without much enthusiasm. ;)

h8011547.JPG

The picture below shows the very nice looking surface detail this kit has, too bad some of it (mostly on the undersurfaces) are bogus.
h9b1fff0.JPG

Matrixone

This morning I toned down the pre-shading with a thin coat of RLM 65.

Later this week I will finish painting the camo.

h5d26576.JPG

ha60f765.JPG

Matrixone

Beautiful "Kurfürst Les!!! :ro: :ro: :ro: I dont have K in my collection (built).

All the best!
Dusan.

Thanks guys!

The K-4 was to be finished this week but I was distracted (having too much fun!) by the two Do 335's so I guess next week the K-4 will be done and out of my way.

Matrixone

Thanks James and Bob!

This is the last of the in-progress pictures of the K-4...its almost done. :woohoo:

h098070a.JPG

hc8d31b2.JPG

h64447fa.JPG

h8d95470.JPG

Pictures of this 109 will be of it out at the airfield, I hope to have the pictures posted late this week or sometime next week.

Matrixone

Thanks guys! (y)

Scrodes,
I used mostly Model Master enamels on this model but the RLM 82 green was Xtracolor enamel.

Testors Model Master enamel paints are easiest for me to get so I use them the most but I don't care much for some of their Luftwaffe shades of paint so I learned to tint or change them to get them closer to the intended paint colors and this works out quite well except for times when I don't make enough of the paint color I am using and run out of it and have to risk mixing up a small batch that may or may not match exactly with the paint already on the model, with the airbrush its easy to blend in a slightly different shade of paint but its not easy at all to do the same thing with a paint brush.

Matrixone

Scrodes,
Testor's Model Master version of RLM 82 is one of their colors I don't like as it does not look much like any of the samples of this color in any of my paint chips nor does it match the photographs of RLM 82 painted aircraft relics like those seen in the JaPo Fw 190D-9 book.

Matrixone

No, its not finished...I needed to do more work with oil paints on the landing gear legs and undersurfaces before being able to spray on the flat clear coat so here is the last of the last in-progress pictures.

The four blade prop gives this 109 a mean and aggressive look to it. :)
h75a0854.JPG

h8ff2c3c.JPG

Matrixone

Back