• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 scale Bf 109's x 2

They are up for sale... I have far too many good kits to build and not enough time to even contemplate a challenge!

This may be the last in-progress pictures of the Matchbox Me 109E, the last of the weathering has been done and the few small bits are being added.

h51cb2c7.JPG

hba5933e.JPG

hcb19962.JPG

...and some weathering is being done to the Bf 109K-4 wheels, they are not done yet I am about halfway through with them.

hca419ce.JPG

hdca59e9.JPG

Matrixone

A lot more work has been done on the K-4, nearly all of the painting is done.

h917f9a1.JPG

h9bc3183.JPG

h7234c8c.JPG

h3892fa0.JPG

h5d0a80f.JPG

The tires are now complete with painting and weathering.
h18588bd.JPG

he57c810.JPG

Matrixone

Thanks Bob!

Now that the Matchbox 109 is out of the way I will be starting my own Me 109E kit, I don't have any good kits of the early 109's but I DO have the Academy 1/72 scale Me 109E in my stash and will build it, I found the 02/71/65 splinter camo on the Matchbox 109 to be rather nice looking and would be a nice addition to my collection.

Years ago I remember the 109 experts saying the 1/72 scale Academy Me 109E was not worth building and there are errors all over the place on it but I will build this one anyway to see for myself.

h872e885.JPG

h4efeaf9.JPG

hcfacdc1.JPG

Matrixone

Ian,
I don't let the accuracy nuts ruin my enjoyment of this wonderful hobby, if that were the case I would probably never build anything and do nothing but become a kit collector and do open box YouTube video reviews of kits like a certain other person does at another modeling site...that does not seem like much fun to me. :idonno
It is doubtful that there will ever be a 100% accurate plastic model kit produced in my lifetime, just some kits that are better than others.

I have not yet opened the plastic bag to the Academy Me 109E kit to see what all the fuss was about it but I do remember reading that the molded on exhaust stacks were backwards and if that's true than yes that is a flaw but not a fatal flaw and I will just have to work around it and do the best I can.

Matrixone

Luiz,
If a kit has some flaws that are easy to correct I will attempt to do so but otherwise I concentrate on doing a decent job on build quality and getting the markings and camouflage colors/pattern right and don't freak out over some minor shape issues. :lol:

Matrixone

Exactly!

I overheard a conversation at a show where one "judge" said he didn't know why anyone would build a certain model when EVERYONE knew that it was a 3 scale inches short. :bang head

We build because we enjoy it! Carol says "boys with toys."

Barney,
When building models stops being fun I will cease building them but until then I will carry on.
Its best to let the people that freak out over accuracy issues in a kit have their so called 'fun' and bash every new kit that comes onto the market. The rest of us will have building them and have no regrets, while those arguing about a kits accuracy are often those that rarely finish their own models...on a few other modeling sites there was a guy that liked to draw red lines on reference photographs of aircraft to prove his point about a model kit not being accurate and I don't know (or care) if he was right or not but I DO know he never finishes his models, how sad. :gogo

Matrixone

:vmad

I remember that individual. Wish I didn't.

Meanwhile... I like the old Matchbox kit... I had a blast building them, years ago.

Barney,
Thanks for the comment on the Matchbox 109 build.
That build was the third Matchbox 109 I have built in the last twenty years but I did not remember it being that bad when I built the others years ago, perhaps I am being spoiled by the newer Hasegawa large scale kits and how well they go together. :idonno

Matrixone

I opened up the bag on the Academy 1/72 scale Me 109E and looked at the parts to see just how bad this kit really is and its far from perfect but should build into a nice looking model, I only paid $5.00 for it and to my eyes its a bargain.

The biggest goof with this kit is the exhaust stacks, they are molded front to back! :silly: I wonder who signed off on the molds for this kit. :hmmm

h175c38e.JPG

On the plus side the fuselage halves fit together perfectly, in this picture they are just pressed together and the seam line is nearly invisible.
The top and bottom wing halves also fit together quite well and I went ahead and glued them together.

hde81dd3.JPG

The decals are on the 1/48 scale Bf 109K-4, nearly all the decals came from my spares box, the decals in my kit were the old style Hasegawa decals and were quite thick looking and I wanted to avoid using them.

h91ccb11.JPG

h1ce5a1e.JPG

hcffc975.JPG

hbb2cfe9.JPG

Matrixone

Back