• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Lockheed CP-140 Aurora

You’re correct sir.
Tamiya fine putty, white. With the volume I’ve been going through doing vac builds, I’ve bought 3 more tubes. Kind of like dry wall mud, apply, sand repeat

work has begun on assembly...well one part anyway. I've got one wing underway, gear bay glued in, flap track and, an aileron cut out for a bit of a defection angle. There's a mismatch at the wing tip but I plan on cutting off the wing tip and build the squared off lumpy sensory loaded things.
So, here's the one I'm working on now;
087.jpg

088.jpg

089.jpg

085.jpg
086.jpg

Thanks for looking

We are lucky you have chosen to post this here, great builds make great forums. Throw in something individual and unique and what could be better.

I appreciate the kind words!
I'm still puttering away on the wings, both are joined upper and lower now. The left wing is undergoing sanding and filling on the seams while the right wing is getting some knobs added. I cut circles with a compass cutter, cut the circles in half and made the sensors to the wing tip, I glued the semi circles to the wing tips with a short section of I beam and filled the gap with "Apoxie Sculpt"...much sanding shall ensue.
Don't look for accuracy here, merely a representation (as good as I can do) of those sensors
IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the encouragement!
The left wing top half had sunken areas between the engines both on the top and on the leading edge, I glued a strip of .010 between the upper and lower halves as a straight edge to fill/ sculpt to. I used Tamiya gray putty here.
the straight edge can be seen here
094.jpg

The bottom half was better;
095.jpg

filled and worked on;
IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5626.jpg

and the other wing, progressing a little faster, now has nacelles glued on, still much putty/sand to do
097.jpg

Thanks for looking

So, almost a full tube, total quantity all in (1/2 tube white- 1/2 tube of gray) the engines are attached and faired in. scribing and rivets should now be added
106.jpg

107.jpg

sanding mostly completed, now have a full set of wings;
108.jpg

109.jpg

Marking out for scribing riveting the fuselage;
101.jpg

102.jpg

work/ play continues
There'll be a sh*tload of dusting vacuuming in here when the model is done
Thanks for looking

Thanks mates!
still plugging away, I've added some scribed lines, rivets and clasps (pure fiction) to the engines;
111.jpg

112.jpg

and begun opening holes for little round windows, the openings aren't to scale merely to the size of the dome windows (from the spares supply)
113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

Thanks for looking

Some guys take a look at their models, and they don't like what they see. Some guys wish for a huge impossible airplane model, and they won't spend $500.00 for it. Some guys just build what they love without a care for how difficult it may be.
I thought the Hudson was cool. This Orion is a whole new level of AWESOMENESS! :tens:

Some guys take a look at their models, and they don't like what they see. Some guys wish for a huge impossible airplane model, and they won't spend $500.00 for it. Some guys just build what they love without a care for how difficult it may be.
I thought the Hudson was cool. This Orion is a whole new level of AWESOMENESS! :tens:
You're too kind sir!
I've screwed up my courage and cut the windshield pillars and re-profiled to a "better" shaped appearance. The right side has been scribed for panel lines and the left is undergoing that same treatment tonight.
The improved left side;
116.jpg

and the untouched right side;
117.jpg

thanks for looking

I am an auto mechanic. Started out as an AME back in my teens switched to cars for the more reliable work, higher pay and no travelling to fix a busted airplane out in the bush.
I’ve been a shop Forman, service advisor and taught automotive service technology at the college here where I live. Most recently I’ve taken on “GSE” ground support equipment at the local airport as my semi retirement job

That explains it. You got that engineer's mind to just do it and make it work. :vgood:
if it doesn't fit grab a bigger hammer...

Still plugging away trying to make the model look less like a vac. kit
I've used a combination of riveters and scribers on the fuselage half shown here. I'm not going to the top or bottom seam as I expect a variety of mismatches filling sanding will obliterate any detail I may add, soooo later for that.
120.jpg

121.jpg

and there are vents low down forward on the fuselage...that looked kind of familiar...I took a dig through a couple of Hornet kits and settled on a vent from the Academy 1/32 F/A 18 D I am currently awaiting adhesive to set up in order to cast this part for it's vents.
118.jpg

Thanks for looking

What a totally absorbing thread... fantastic. Before i set up on my own with motorcycles i spent 35 years as a tool maker turning mad boffins ideas into reality :)
I look at your dial gauge Vernier's and scribing templates and it brings it all back except i did it in sheet alloy. I am so tempted to give vac a go but maybe i am a little too set in my ways now to start a whole new genera of model making. For example i have never cast anything and filling and sanding is pure witchcraft to me :cool:

Back