• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Lockheed CP-140 Aurora

chrispisme

Confirming that the cheese has indeed well and truly slid off my cracker...another ID Models vac kit (another gift from a friend who'll never build it) surgery has already begun
001.jpg

002.jpg

an idea of the size leaning against my airbrush air tank stand

004.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

It'll need aftermarket landing gear, props, spinners and some other odds and ends
Thanks for looking

Really looking forward to this having just spent 24 hours attacking a vac canopy with very limited success :)
at this stage its all a complete mystery to me , joining parts edge on/aligning/ cutting, even the type of glue but mostly the fact that every edge is flared 90 degree from the direction you want so knowing where to cut :)

WOOOO! Another vac form.

I use to see these all the time coming out of Donaldson Center, Lockheed Martin depot in Greenville Sc. Now it seems to be only the P8s.

1. You gotta give props to anyone crazy enough to attempt a VAC kit.
2. This sucker is HUGH...
3. After your last kit this will be a show stopper.
4. I used to watch this guys fl out of St. Thomas.

Awesome. My first Squadron flew the CP-140 Aurora which was a P-3C with Viking upgrades. A lot of hours flying and working on them and even some stick time . Definitely will watch with interest as she was a fantastic a/c.
James

Really looking forward to this having just spent 24 hours attacking a vac canopy with very limited success :)
at this stage its all a complete mystery to me , joining parts edge on/aligning/ cutting, even the type of glue but mostly the fact that every edge is flared 90 degree from the direction you want so knowing where to cut :)
Ha! I usually cut everything wrong, crooked and, messed up and use three tons of filler...yup vac is a whole new ball game
1. You gotta give props to anyone crazy enough to attempt a VAC kit.
2. This sucker is HUGH...
3. After your last kit this will be a show stopper.
4. I used to watch this guys fl out of St. Thomas.
Oooorrrr possibly a heart stopper?
@chrispisme, how do you know what to get? Is it listed in the instructions? Perhaps someone may have something in their spares?
No landing gear, the props would be crazy hard to make work, spinners are soft/ vaguely shaped. No antennas or other fine details. It'll need bomb racks sonobuoy launchers, too much to go into but hopefully can be made.
No kits of the beast in 1/48 injection molding so spares form elsewhere unlikely.
My God man! You're off your chum!
C-130E/H Hercules Testors 1/48 Props Engine Covers Etc
Will C-130 Props work?
I'm hoping so, I've ordered resin Quickboost prop/ spinners. I'm aware that Lonestar models also makes complete resin engines from the nacelle forward including props and spinners but I'm going to try to make my own before admitting defeat and trying them.

Ha! I usually cut everything wrong, crooked and, messed up and use three tons of filler...yup vac is a whole new ball game

Oooorrrr possibly a heart stopper?

No landing gear, the props would be crazy hard to make work, spinners are soft/ vaguely shaped. No antennas or other fine details. It'll need bomb racks sonobuoy launchers, too much to go into but hopefully can be made.
No kits of the beast in 1/48 injection molding so spares form elsewhere unlikely.

I'm hoping so, I've ordered resin Quickboost prop/ spinners. I'm aware that Lonestar models also makes complete resin engines from the nacelle forward including props and spinners but I'm going to try to make my own before admitting defeat and trying them.
Check for 3D printed P-3s. I'm pretty sure I saw that someone had made files. I cant remember where though. I considered getting it for a bit but declined. Also Herc engines wont work here as the Herc engines are upside down while the P-3 are right side up. I cant remember if the Herc props would work but I feel like they should as long as they are rounded and not square cut. The sono boy chutes shoul;d be easy enough, just some brass tube. You cant see the latch in them at that scale. Also there is a larger GP chute which is opened from inside the aircraft. There were only 3 sonotubes that opened from inside if I remember correctly. All the rest were external. If you model this on the ground with flags when the bomb bay was open it was pinned on the left hand side. There is a little door you open and pull down the handle and pin after first reaching into the bomb bay and pulling a cable to ensure it was tight. It was better to lose an arm than a body checking that.
James

That's great but, this was free and a learning project.
I've made a bit of progress, not much but anything is something.
I've sanded away the backing from most parts of the model, fuselage still needs to be done. Hannants have emailed me my props and flaps I'm going to cobble in are in the mail.
A walk around the internet has changed the name and direction of the build. It will now be a CP-140 Aurora (late) as I managed to find a dome (left over from the HK Models 1/32 Lancaster and I can chop the FLIR off another model that no longer measures up to snuff (did some culling the heard and tossed out a bunch last weekend) In any case, I'll be adding some bits to it. Here's where I'm at today;
023.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

026.jpg

and that big dome, just kinda sitting around right now
024.jpg

Thanks for looking

If you are aiming for what we call CP140M Block IV, there are more lumps and bumps to be added. Things like ESM wingtips (different to USN) and DIRCM. A project is underway to upgrade the existing engines to the same engine/prop combination as on the C130J. There is more things, alot of it electronic suite kit that changes the antennas, but I'm in a plane in Toronto, 12 hrs after leaving Halifax this morning. Six more hours to Edmonton and back to Cold Lake tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rich

Back