• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Lockheed CP-140 Aurora

Nothing like spending 9 hrs in terminals and 13 hrs in an aluminium tube with 200 other people. Luckily no screaming kids.

The CP140 doesn't technically have FLIR. It has a Wescam MX-20 EO/IR turret.

Cheers,
Rich

Wing tips changed and more bumps added.
85145138_2799919493568568_8704654916527849472_o.jpg
87054663_2799919453568572_1110313169877729280_o.jpg
87134676_2799919416901909_2409376103576633344_o.jpg
87148246_2799919426901908_8128202097029021696_o.jpg

seems a slippery slope I'm on. The airplane I've saved pictures of has different lumps and bumps than the one shown above. To be blunt this'll be merely a representation more than a duplication of any kind.
I think it may eventually look something like an Aurora but not one exact aircraft.
Whilst building main gear bays and trying to duplicate cuts for both bays from one set of measurements I've found that the right wing engines are further outboard on the wing than the left, the inboard engine is larger in diameter width and length so none of the parts fitted to the right wing will fit the left.
Please don't expect this to be anywhere near a perfect or, even a great build, I'll do the most I can (or want) to fill seams, fix major issues and add what details I can. This kit has no landing gear of any kind, no flight deck, a malformed clear part (basically unusable) bubble side windows more akin to half an Eggplant than a dome and instructions consist of a line drawing of a P-3.
I'm aware there is a resin 3d kit available but I'm not interested in that kit or in buying parts for it to upgrade this kit. If it comes to that I'll death stomp this kit and toss it out.

One Man Model produces a 3D print P-3C Orion. Perhaps you can contact them to see if they will print off the items you need such as landing gear, props, and weapons? Click the link to see the instructions. Click company name to go to their eBay page to contact them.

I've seen reviews of the 3d printed kit and it looks like the printing resolution is not very good. Also much dinero. Best to make this one a practice kit.

Thanks but, as mentioned before, I've no interest in the 3d printed model....none, zero, zip zilch... I'm not going for accuracy, more like striving for mediocrity.
I'm kinda getting the feeling I should maybe stop posting images and just enjoy my build? There seems to be a push to go with the 3d model? maybe I'm wrong, it's tough to get a feel for what folks are typing vs. what they mean.

Not what I meant, and I'd rather you kept posting. No matter the result there's learning to be done. Why waste a good kit? Better this one, and in the end it may surprise you, if you don't look at both sides at once!

There seems to be a push to go with the 3d model?
Not at all, I stated that the 3D printed model may be a last recourse to source propellers, landing gear, and armament. Definitely not the kit as I am a firm believer of building what one has, the proof is that I am still plugging away on the relatively awful Dragon Mustangs when I have two sublime Tamiya kits in the stash.

My posts showing it is simply about the missing parts from the ID Models' kit:
It'll need aftermarket landing gear, props, spinners and some other odds and ends
Thanks for looking
@chrispisme, how do you know what to get? Is it listed in the instructions? Perhaps someone may have something in their spares?
No landing gear, the props would be crazy hard to make work, spinners are soft/ vaguely shaped. No antennas or other fine details. It'll need bomb racks sonobuoy launchers, too much to go into but hopefully can be made.
No kits of the beast in 1/48 injection molding so spares form elsewhere unlikely.

I'm hoping so, I've ordered resin Quickboost prop/ spinners. I'm aware that Lonestar models also makes complete resin engines from the nacelle forward including props and spinners but I'm going to try to make my own before admitting defeat and trying them.
One Man Model produces a 3D print P-3C Orion. Perhaps you can contact them to see if they will print off the items you need such as landing gear, props, and weapons? Click the link to see the instructions. Click company name to go to their eBay page to contact them.

I see others mentioned the 3D printed model but @jknaus was specific about asking for the parts needed to complete this build.

Have you considered making it in flight? It would negate the landing gear and prop blurs means not needing specific propellers. Simply thinking aloud!

Last edited:
The first few bits from Hannants have shown up in the mail today, props/ spinners quite nice compared to what is in the "kit" for propulsion
042.jpg

I've also begun adding interior strengtheners, purists may hate that I'm not adding any details but, I'm hoping this way I will not need a metric ton of counterbalance to keep it on its wheels. (think 1/32 B-25)
040.jpg

the left side ribs will sit in place as I fit the left fuselage half, I'll tack the ribs to that half then remove it and glue them solid (UV curing glue being used here) then once all interior farting about is completed the left and right sides should simply slot together (I'll add top and bottom strip plastic reinforcements at the long seams as well.
041.jpg

Thanks for looking

A little progress, nothing too great and certainly nothing to brag about but, I am quite happy with the fit of the quickboost props to the kit engines;
050.jpg

and moving ahead on building the flight deck, adding windows;
044.jpg

construction of the cabin floor/nose gear bay roof;
043.jpg

spare seats from...a Hasegawa? fighter jet of some kind? and copies of them and beginning panels from stock.
048.jpg

test fitting constantly to ensure it still slots into place;
052.jpg

049.jpg

Thanks for looking

A little progress, nothing too great and certainly nothing to brag about but, I am quite happy with the fit of the quickboost props to the kit engines;
ANY progress on a vacuum-formed kit is something to brag about! About the spinners, nice when things work out!

I like the best foot forward approach on the seats. Those up front will be visible and you got a fair representation in the back.

:popcorn

Looking good. Just one thing if you want, there is no seat or console on the back left of the flight deck. Where that console is there is a small door or hatch. There is also one above the FE seat. On the right side there is a circuit breaker panel and a shelf with a removable panel at what was called the FELC. If you do the rest of the interior we did not have the same set up as every one else did and the right side was taken up with the MELC wile the left was the TAC compartment. The rear section should be the same as others though. This might help some. At the start thy are by the door facing forward.
James

Thanks. I was using images of...god knows what it was. The subject was listed as a P-3 Orion but that's the hazard of using the internet for reference pictures. Lots of pictures of the instrument panel, very few of the flight deck from the I.P. looking rearward. I went to Scalemates and used a download of the 1/72 Hasegawa P-3 instructions as a reference to the flight deck. This won't be perfect, never expect perfection, accuracy or even decency from my builds. but it is a work in progress;
053.jpg

054.jpg

Thanks for looking

A bit of progress since I was here last. Other than turning plastic into shavings and dust. I've measured up (ok kind of roughly) and began building the nose gear bay. The all important disclaimer now, this isn't accurate just my rendition of some of the structure I could see from images. I've tripled the thickness of the bay roof with 3 pieces of .020 sheet planning ahead to strength for adding weight to counter balance the model.
058.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

Now being the maniac I think I am...I've begun adding internal wing structure for "flaps down" The flaps are not designed for this kit but look close enough to me.
Top view;
061.jpg

Bottom view;
062.jpg

flaps up (not for this project);
064.jpg

Thanks for looking

Back