• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Lockheed CP-140 Aurora

I just saw there are files for a 3D P-8.
James
I can't make a paper printer do what I want....I'll stick to plastic, resin, and whatever else may come as a kit, definitely too stupid to try to 3d print on my own.
moving ahead on the Aurora...
IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

started with Tamiya basic gray putty, filled all the big gaps, cracks and seams sanded that out and now on to Tamiya fine putty...and have added some generic pe. panels, vents and....a tail bumper?
Thanks for looking

Probably too late but if you're interested here is a good pic of the external sonos. The right side second from the back is larger . Its a General Purpose chute for dropping flares or stuff out of.

Probably too late but if you're interested here is a good pic of the external sonos. The right side second from the back is larger . Its a General Purpose chute for dropping flares or stuff out of.
Thanks!
I sent pics to the guy who gave me the model last night telling him I wasn’t sure I had the sonos anywhere near accurate, I was working from images and drawings but it looks like there’s a variety of layouts. The drawing I was working from is quite different from a picture I found later of a real one, then another image showed a different style (or number) of tubes..a real can of worms for such a simple guy as me
I shall look into possible methods of remedying this error
thanks again

Thanks!
I sent pics to the guy who gave me the model last night telling him I wasn’t sure I had the sonos anywhere near accurate, I was working from images and drawings but it looks like there’s a variety of layouts. The drawing I was working from is quite different from a picture I found later of a real one, then another image showed a different style (or number) of tubes..a real can of worms for such a simple guy as me
I shall look into possible methods of remedying this error
thanks again
I wouldnt be too worried about numbers but the GP chute is quite noticeable. Plus your 1/48 aircrew cant vacuum the aircraft in flight without it lol.

The drawing I was working from is quite different from a picture I found later of a real one, then another image showed a different style (or number) of tubes...
Story of my modeling life! However, you know when to state it is enough and 'fine with me' which is refreshing. I continue to bang my head until I either succeed or the 'shelf' is the result.

Loving this thread but not enough to pull out the last of my vacuum-formed kits! :D Little by little (like the MPM Siebel Si-204) are surpassed but others (like the MPM SB-2 bombers) are still the only game in town.

Wow....Looks like we are going to need a bigger bench.......... love it Chris :)

(with apologies too jaws)

Wow....Looks like we are going to need a bigger bench.......... love it Chris :)

(with apologies too jaws)
Thanks!
yes it’s big, I’ve banged that tail boom on the overhead light, open drawers at the back of the bench. I’ve knocked my glasses off with a wing tip….well, snagged my glasses anyway. When placed overtop a 1/32 HK Models B-17 it’s a close match in size, same length, slightly shorter in span….and I thought a 1/32 B-17 was big!
it’s gonna look great on the shelf beside the stretched 1/48 CC-130J

built up some SAC landing gear, SAC takes a lot of abuse for being soft and to malleable but if it was tougher I'd never have been able to convince it to fit the model.
153.jpg

I underestimated the nose weight, I cut the finger off a disposable rubber glove stuffed liquid ballast into it, stuffed it in a window and dropped a couple of drips of super glue in to hold it in place
154.jpg

156.jpg

155.jpg

Thanks for looking

A bit more progress, nothing spectacular but still crawling ahead.
I found better sensors so made castings and started sticking them to the model (had to chop off the earlier one, fill putty and sand) but like these much better
158.jpg

began making the hat thingy dome that sits on top of the fuselage. This is 1/2 a drop tank/ a strip of .010" sheet plastic and a ball of Epoxy Sculpt. It looks nasty right now but much sanding should get it into an acceptable shape...? maybe?
157.jpg

and adding "access panels" cut from bare metal foil
160.jpg

161.jpg

159.jpg

Thanks for looking

Love it, and I love your attitude about the accuracy. You know all those antennas and sensor could change from aircraft to aircraft, models and even mission needs. It looks the part!

Thanks!!!
Still farting around, I've made another new, improved (maybe) dome and added some pylons, nothing strictly accurate mostly for aesthetics
original dome on the right
162.jpg

under a bit of paint;
IMG_5752.jpg

test fitted;
163.jpg

and some pylons;
165.jpg

Thanks for looking

:notworthynotworthy I am so inspired by your skills with this build.........I would never try a vacform kit but it is so interesting watching someone who can do it with such great results.
:popcorn :popcorn

Thanks mates!
I've added rivet decals over a primer coat;
169.jpg

I drilled and added .010" stainless pins to the flaps with receivers in the wings, a test fir looks ok;
166.jpg

painted the nose semi gloss black and masked for the future dark gray;
168.jpg

and finally have a coat of paint on the model, a custom mix of Tamiya colours to achieve the FS-36375
170.jpg

171.jpg

Thanks for looking

Back