• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Lockheed CP-140 Aurora

What a totally absorbing thread... fantastic. Before i set up on my own with motorcycles i spent 35 years as a tool maker turning mad boffins ideas into reality :)
I look at your dial gauge Vernier's and scribing templates and it brings it all back except i did it in sheet alloy. I am so tempted to give vac a go but maybe i am a little too set in my ways now to start a whole new genera of model making. For example i have never cast anything and filling and sanding is pure witchcraft to me :cool:
Do it!
if I can build them anyone can.
it does take patience and some planning to not build one’s self into a corner but the nice thing is that if/when a mistake happens…just sheet plastic over it, putty, sand it back and carry on.
oh ya, and have a massive spare parts box(es)

We're on the same page. Mastering an object (sailing ship hull, carburetor, hot food container) is just a matter of geometric shapes in the proper size in different combinations. A scale drawing from a "Mad Boffin" with a scale simplifies that stage immensely. Anyone that wanted to could do it. Making molds and casting is something a smart monkey could easily do. I learn a lot more from failure than I do from success. I like "Success" Better!! Don't we all?
Chris has been building stunning aircraft for AGES. Not so unlike the guys from the dawn of scale modeling, if you will.

Vac-forms? Resin? My unfinished Airmodel 1/72 Super Crusader awaits more attention. The resin Anigrand 1/72 Moonbat is still here. Waiting.
A really devoted modeler would finish both models. I could be getting complacent (lazy?) in my old age.

I've made some resin copies of the vents from the F-18, sawed them up and fitted them to the CP-140
IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

Thanks for looking

I’ve begun fitting the “empennage“ this required either sanding the root fairings to an acceptable thickness or increasing the thickness of the horizontal stabilizer about 25% I knew the issue existed earlier and packed the insides of the root fairings with material so I’d be able to sand them thinner. In the end I took an entirely different path, I made a filler to go between the root fairings and the stabilizer out of a shim of .080” thick sheet tapered it and glued it between the fuselage and the stabizer.
here’s the stab. placed against the root

96784902-89CB-469E-B814-D09C7E094FB4.jpeg

the filler being worked on
7DFC03AD-5675-47EF-9A53-C9A9A8D6551D.jpeg

glued in place and filler added
CF2453C4-39C0-415A-800A-220927DC2BC6.jpeg

AA60F180-5B2A-4248-8A24-19DBA4557BC8.jpeg

much more to do but it’s progress(ish)
thanks for looking

I do appreciate the "somewhat misplaced" confidence in my modelling. I have in fact managed to fair in the tail feathers. I have also at this time drilled the lower fuselage for the sonobuoy launch tubes, not sure yet weather I'll add tubes to them or just leave the holes and paint them black
A couple of pics of the project as it stands at quitting time tonight;
IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

Thats all for now
Thanks for looking

Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps push the build ahead!
I made a decision to add some vents to the engines, not true to scale but approximately right(ish)
136.jpg

139.jpg

138.jpg

and now the happy (for me anyway) news...she's an assembly;
140.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

144.jpg

going to need some filler on the roots but for the most part it's a good fit
Thanks for looking

Red Boats tremble at the sound of his approach. Very interesting so far! :good:
It's funny how far you can hear these.
Several years ago when working outside I would hear a very heavy aircraft overhead. Being the guy I am I'd stop and look around and not see anything. Not really a schedule but it was often, most times I was out side. Along comes the internet age and we're able to pull up sites like this
So the day came and I heard it flying. I ran inside to see if I could find what was flying. Sure nuff, it was a P3 coming out of the Lockheed Martin depot in Donaldson Center. They regularly service them. Not so much now, seeing the P8s now and you don't hear them.

It's funny how far you can hear these.
Several years ago when working outside I would hear a very heavy aircraft overhead. Being the guy I am I'd stop and look around and not see anything. Not really a schedule but it was often, most times I was out side. Along comes the internet age and we're able to pull up sites like this
So the day came and I heard it flying. I ran inside to see if I could find what was flying. Sure nuff, it was a P3 coming out of the Lockheed Martin depot in Donaldson Center. They regularly service them. Not so much now, seeing the P8s now and you don't hear them.
Weird....I was just looking at Big Plane Kits thinking of getting the 1/72 P-8 Poseidon...you reading minds again??

Back