• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Decals and into Darkness

1/48 B-17G Chowhound

To be honest Ed I am a bit hesitant to begin. There is a beauty of a build on Aeroscale of a B-17F that really is a highly detailed, stunning work. It has me doubting myself a lot. It is so polished.

Joe

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Starting Point

Sounds like this one may be a shinny one eh Joe? .... Take your time I really enjoy your work ..... :eek:ldguy

1/48 B-17G Chowhound

To be honest Ed I am a bit hesitant to begin. There is a beauty of a build on Aeroscale of a B-17F that really is a highly detailed, stunning work. It has me doubting myself a lot. It is so polished.

Joe

Yes, but it aint Chowhound!! :evil: So, light da fires & kick da tires... And iffin' yer thinkin' of a NMF bird, Ya got the decals in with Chowhound for one... :frantic
WE have confidence in you & your abilities so, :smack Git on with the show :eek:hyeah :popcorn

1/48 B-17G Chowhound

Many thanks for the kindness.

My reluctance is because of how good I perceived the other build to be. I found myself wondering if I should build it or not. However after some closer study my desire is back. The other build looks very polished (detail wise) and it does look very very good. However I am speaking of two completely different animals. His is of aftermarket resin and photo etch. Very little of his is scratchbuilt. Mine would be very little after market but a healthy dose of scratched work. It may not be nearly as polished but in the end I am hoping to make it look good.

Joe

1/48 B-17G Chowhound

Many thanks for the kindness.

My reluctance is because of how good I perceived the other build to be. I found myself wondering if I should build it or not. However after some closer study my desire is back. The other build looks very polished (detail wise) and it does look very very good. However I am speaking of two completely different animals. His is of aftermarket resin and photo etch. Very little of his is scratchbuilt. Mine would be very little after market but a healthy dose of scratched work. It may not be nearly as polished but in the end I am hoping to make it look good.

Joe

:drinks (y) :yipee Datz da Spirit!! :geek

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...First Cuts

Just a quickie of an update to show the first cuts.

Large chunks have been cut out to show different areas of the interior. What you see is after six hours of grinding, sanding, repeat.

This will turn out good, I hope.

You will also notice I have drilled and then cut out the access doors. These will be cleaned up and the edges thinned a bit.

First-Cuts-1_zpsjmbqhetc.jpg

First-Cuts-2_zpsf6hiqpgq.jpg

First-Cuts-3_zpszfdmpynj.jpg

First-Cuts-4_zpswlxgknab.jpg

First-Cuts-5_zps5ssitgmc.jpg

First-Cuts-6_zpst5eqptlv.jpg

First-Cuts-7_zpsia3xzcqw.jpg

Next up will be to clean up the cuts and move into the interior with grinding and sanding away that detail.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

He's whackin' up a perfectly good Fort!! :blink Oh my :drool Dis is gonna be good! pass da :popcorn

Ok Joe I'm sitting down .... got my seatbelt on ...... looking good ...... :popcorn

He's whackin' up a perfectly good Fort!! :blink Oh my :drool Dis is gonna be good! pass da :popcorn

there's a bit of that going around!! :gogo

Looks good Joe, your last few cutaways turned out awesome so I'm sure this one will be a work of art too!! (y)

:popcorn

1/48 B-17G Chowhound...Framed

Well I have gotten to what I am calling the final stage of my prep work for the interior of this build. The framing.

One thing to remember, this is not intended to be an exact replica of the actual B-17G. It is intended to give the illusion. For that reason you will notice that I did not put every frame in. Two reasons, the interior would be more than a bit cluttered and I do not have enough styrene strip to actually do each frame. As it is I used three packages of strip. Also please notice that i really only concentrated on the Port side of the fuselage. The Starboard will not be seen as well so I skipped all but what would be seen. After I took the pictures I noticed that there are a few places I need to add some strip and also some backing. All in all I am pretty satisfied with how this looks. I will tidy up the last of it and then starting with the nose the detailing will begin.

Pictures.

Starboard side:

Framing-4_zpsb4tweagj.jpg

Framing-3_zpswgtamk4j.jpg

Port side:

Framing-2_zps59gbeczu.jpg

Framing-1_zps3bbbmyua.jpg

Now there is no framing at the bomb bay area. This is by design as I need to build that up and to do that I will need to do the sides as well as scratch a bomb rack.

More to come....

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Back