• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 USCG Full Hull Vietnam Point Class Cutter

That last line says it all: "Lots of imagination, music, and laughter!" That's what makes watching this Thread so fantastic!

Contrast picture.

h21b5c51.JPG

Starting general purpose hull & 82' Cutter.

h8644209.JPG

Lower hull plate for the waterline version of the Big Cutter in progress!
I made an impromptu mold with leftover RTV and got a really lousy casting. LOTS of shaping & sanding to do yet.
A better businessman would have just cut the bottom off a full-hull model. :idonno :stinker :bang head

h9665ecd.JPG

The decals for the Big Cutter came today! 29 Vietnam wartime and peacetime USCG Point Class WPB options!
:captain :salute

Ok. Why I can't say, but TLAR Models kit #118 will now be a 2-Cutter set.
A Full-Hull model, and a waterline version, with lower hull plate.

h0484756.JPG

h4981532.JPG

The Waterline lower hull version gets molded tomorrow. Or rather, later on today!
It's been a fine day for Model Mojo!

Wow, those kind of days overflowing with modeling mojo are the best ever! Brilliant work overall! Way to go man.

h48137a1.JPG

Construction underway! :frantic
Using a #80 drill, the closed chocks up forward are open, the smaller bollard plates get 2 holes each, for dinky bits of stretched sprue. I highlighted the bollard plates with black, so's I kin see to drill them lil' deevils better! Weps pedestals are going on. If you mount a 20mm, leave the arms on the pedestals. This WPB will sport the Mk.29 mount forward, and .50's on the after deck.
Thanks for looking in!
:salute

This is the short version of an inexorable story.
Another soggy day on the Island of Peegi-Peegi. Rain means MODELING! :yipee

hc818364.JPG

Ready ammo lockers in place. There is a hatch on the front of each one, so care must be taken not to install them backwards. Starboard side box is a good example of how far NOT to sand them, since they cast from the top down.

h02577e4.JPG

.50 pedestals installed. One more bollard left to pin. Cabin hatch, crane post and bridge ladder installed!

h382a765.JPG

The "Start" and "Finish" of said main deck house hatch. This I did NOT sand this too far. It required a bit of fitting to get it in place. The block on the front of each is the cast-on "handle" so a Guy can grip it with tweezers to sand/grind/cuss the hatch to the proper thickness. Just clip it off & c/a glue it to the Cutter!

h1fc911d.JPG

It T'were a Fine day in the Nut Department here on My Island!
Thank you Men, for your kind words and attention!
:salute
:eek:ldguy
:captain

hb0f821a.JPG

Struts & bearings were less of a PIA to trim/grind/sand/install than expected.

h353ba1d.JPG

Today was Mast Day.

h5517eff.JPG

16 foot Boston Whaler with 50 HP outboard motor. I mastered the outboard over-sized. If YOUR Whaler wants to have an 80HP motor, She may have it!

Thanks for looking in!

While on vacation, I bemoaned the fact that 1/350 M2 .50 caliber air-cooled guns are hard to find......

he6782b8.JPG

h4d97d40.JPG

Master Mike says "Make one."
The 5 1/2 inch scale thickness ammo box might be a tad small. :idonno

I've go another idea just in case!

Back