• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/350 US Coast Guard Reliance class Cutter TLAR Models #723

20240218_204011.jpg
I bought 3D printed 1/350 HH-52A Seaguard "Flying Lifeboat" helicopters for early WMEC builders. I like this ol' rescue egg-beater.
USCGC Active will have an HH-65C Dolphin.
20240218_220220.jpg
Both early and late superstructures must be built for writing instructions. I used an old model airplane trick on the smokestack gap. I soaked styrene in Tamiya thin glue and schmooshed the plastic into the gap. A little wet-sanding and you're golden!
20240218_185726.jpg20240218_185842.jpg
The mast is done except for a few small (?!) radar antennas. Well, and no paint yet. This assembly installs last.

20240218_180220 (2).jpg20240218_180015.jpg
For those of you that like a nicely shaped bottom, Here ya go!
20240218_222623.jpg
A great stopping place for one day. Boat cradles, ventilators, and upgraded superstructure filled, sanded and ready for primer.
Thanks for looking in and for your prayers for our own "little Tough Guy".

I soaked styrene in Tamiya thin glue and schmooshed the plastic into the gap. A little wet-sanding and you're golden!
That's a new one on me. Nice!

And who doesn't like a nicely shaped bottom, I almost threw a wreck the other day admiring one.

That's a new one on me. Nice!

And who doesn't like a nicely shaped bottom, I almost threw a wreck the other day admiring one.
It's a trick Frank Miller and Chuck Sterns used to employ. Mike Trent made his weld lines on his Armor models in sort of the same way.

20240220_223853.jpg
Early and late superstructures in primer.
20240220_224638.jpg
She's coming along. The Floquil Reefer Gray primer should make a swell deck gray. I'll give her a while to cure before spraying any white.
BTW, I never heard a peep so far from USCGC Active's crew or skipper about our Little Tough Guy's condition.

Really sharp Chris! :vgood:
You know that's right. If you build one of these and any sumbitch assaults you, stab them in the gizzard with her!
She's heavy too! It's been a while since a pointed the airbrush at anything that didn't fly away!
20240221_160514.jpg
Start with one of these............
20240221_152542.jpg
Cut it down, glue it up, stick a bit of plastic on top and................
20240221_155058.jpg
Robert's your Uncle, Fanny's your Aunt, You have a direction finding loop and mount! The Early WMEC's had these on the superstructure aft.
This and the mast will be the last parts to install and the first to break off and VANISH!!
The modern smokestack-upgraded Reliance class cutter doesn't have this D/F assembly. I still have to build it for instruction's sake.
Thanks for looking in!

USCGC Active has been very busy during an inport evolution. The Officers and crew got together to compose not just a picture for our "Lil' Tough Guy", but a poster!
You got this Tatum!.jpg

This group of USCG professionals took time out from their duties preparing for sea, to do this! Ensign Gehman tells us this autographed, framed, poster will be shipped to our home, for delivery to Tatum's house in Vinton, Iowa.
Young people such as these sacrifice to guard our shores, rescue unfortunate mariners and enforce the law of the sea.
Most of them are younger than the ship they sail in.
What the Coast Guard lacks in numbers, they make up for with Class, Heart and Courage.

Teresa, Kristie (Tatum's Momma) and I are astounded!

20240303_155620.jpg20240303_170111.jpg
Re-primed upper hull, with the underside of the flight deck in Tamiya flat white.
I painted the lower hull today. Testors PLA flat red enamel, with a drop of Model Master Leather enamel mixed in. The shafts still need color, but you can see how it goes together.
USCG Music to model cutters by!
20240303_170232.jpg
3 major subassemblies go together like this. I'm not using the lower hull for my USCGC Active display model. I learned when enamel paint goes on this LPP, The paint is cool to the touch until it cures all the way.
Thanks for looking in again!
USCG stripe.png
:capsmiley:
:salute:

Really sleek :popcorn
Right?! It looks as if She was designed for very rough weather indeed. As if she might be near submerged quite a lot of the time and still come up smiling! If Michael Caine hadn't starred in "The Island" and John hadn't made his request, I likely would never have started a vessel like this.

20240316_114511.jpg
A little bit at a time................
4 of the major 210' cutter assemblies in white. So far the fit is pretty fair. Paint really shows off all the details that were added to the Masters.
These are the parts that will make up my 1/350 USCGC Active "Li'l Tough Guy" build.
20240317_140139.jpg20240317_164823.jpg
The poster from the crew of CGC Active came. We will deliver this on Easter weekend. I found an appropriate new shirt for Tatum wear for the family picture we will send in return to the Cutter. I remain astounded by the heart and the honor exhibited by these young Coastguardsmen.

20240331_142012.jpg
Looking over the big cutter's decal sheets, it occurred to me the US and USCG flags should be printed on white decal paper, rather than clear.
20240331_143740.jpg
Then going forward, the MH-60T Jayhawk flies longer range missions than the speedy, beloved, ol' Dolphin, US Coast Guard markings will be needed for those 1/350 models too. Clear decal paper for application over white paint. The 1/350 Jayhawk isn't included in this kit, but are available with decals by request for an additional fee.
20240331_143740 (2).jpg
Tiny shark mouth decals for 1/350 aircraft were included in this edition.
Oh, Saul! How small didja want those decals?
Thanks again for looking in again and again!
USCG Logo 1.jpg
:salute:
:capsmiley:

20240417_101637.jpg
Castings for the 4th and 5th complete kits are on going. Casting 11 molds to fill resin parts for each kit takes 3 sessions and 210 (?) ml of LPP. 2 hours to de-mold, clear molds and cast another hour or so. 4 hours to complete cure and packaging.
"Anything Else I can Think Of" entails exactly that. When these checklists are complete, these can be sold to USCG model enthusiasts across our great Nation.

Back