• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/24 Airfix Hurricane FINISHED

I have to keep reminding myself this is a 50th anniversary build because quite frankly the quality of this model is pretty close to the New digital/cnc/mould super spitfire launched only last year.

_DSC7224.JPG

Undercarriage on my Hurricane, this is OTB and anyone who wanted to super detail this would find it half done for them already as above.
I really want to keep this as close as i can to OTB as the purpose of the build is to compare old with new and show what you get with a 50 year old kit.

I am impressed. I have an old Revel Spit and a 109. They look pretty simple compared to 2020 kits, but are still buildable and should be fun. If I ever get to them.

Nice, the detail on all these kits is pretty amazing no matter how far back you go.
I built the 109 and spit in the 80's and they were pretty good except that my spit had warped wings. I had the Stuka and Fw190A but sold them before I built them. Just as an aside....the left eye surround on my avitar is a spare 1/24 FW190 cowling.:bigrin:

As i slowly simmer under the skin about yet more crap after market.....

_DSC7243.JPG

These are Techmod decals which i had to order from Poland at vast expense as the kit decals were not up to much being 50 years old.
The small stencil decals just disintegrated but i thought i would get away with the large ones. Wrong
You need to soak these for at least 5 mins in warm water to get them to slid. Unfortunately by that time the paper has expanded and taken the brittle decals with it and so they just crack
This decal was just taken out of the water with tweezers and was already like this before i even tried to slide it. Basically the adhesive is either not water soluble enough at a guess. There is absolutely no excuse for churning out this rubbish, all it takes is a little quality control.

These are Techmod decals which i had to order from Poland at vast expense as the kit decals were not up to much being 50 years old.
The small stencil decals just disintegrated but i thought i would get away with the large ones. Wrong
You need to soak these for at least 5 mins in warm water to get them to slid. Unfortunately by that time the paper has expanded and taken the brittle decals with it and so they just crack
This decal was just taken out of the water with tweezers and was already like this before i even tried to slide it. Basically the adhesive is either not water soluble enough at a guess. There is absolutely no excuse for churning out this rubbish, all it takes is a little quality control.
Most eastern european decals require very warm (almost hot water) dip, then placed on paper towel. They will curl up (sign that the paper has absorbed the water BUT the adhesives has not released the film) and spread flat (sign that the adhesive has released). If you rush the process, these extremely thin decals crack as you see. Luckily, roundels aren't hard to cut masks for but the stencil decals are a loss.

So this is it then, 50 years after it hit the shelves, Airfix 1/24 Hurricane Mk1

_DSC7270.JPG

_DSC7278.JPG

_DSC7280.JPG

_DSC7299.JPG

_DSC7300.JPG

_DSC7301.JPG

_DSC7297.JPG

_DSC7294.JPG

_DSC7293.JPG

_DSC7263.JPG

_DSC7265.JPG

_DSC7267.JPG

_DSC7268.JPG

_DSC7289.JPG

_DSC7292.JPG

_DSC7298.JPG

Pretty much OTB, techmod decals simply because the originals were 50 year old.
This is every bit a match with the new Airfix Spitfire which i recently built. There are no hidden nasty's :) Paints are the fantastic MRP
Thanks to all who have followed this and hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.
_DSC7266.JPG

Last edited:
It looks great!
When I was about 14 I built the Ju-87 painted with Airfix enamel and some brushes. Looking at this I should build ab Stuka once again, perhaps

Another stunning model. I admire your ability in tackling such huge models. Looks IMHO even better than the Spitfire. Congratulations.

Back