• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/144 Kulula Flying 101

Rhino

Super Moderator
This airplane model falls into the category of "make A Model, make a Joke". A category of which I am fond, as those of u who know already realize.

Begin with the Revell AG 1/144 Boeing 737, order the Kulula decal sheet from Draw decals, and get set to enjoy some Model Mischief!
Kulula_005.JPG

The build went right along, with a good fit, and not too much filler on the airframe.. I filled the passenger windows the hard way, but after much filling & sanding, got a nice smooth surface for monster decal sheet to be applied to.

After many trials, I found Floquil's (yep! the stinky stuff again) Pullman green was the best match for toe original Kulula paint job. It looked a little bright, but not too shabby!
Kulula_003.JPG

Model master Medium gray is applied for the Boeing Gray.

Clearcoat came next. I used a Boyd's High Gloss clear. The curing time was inexorable, and it took MONTHS before any decals could be applied. :bang head I do not recommend this clear.
I finally picked up the build again while I was on vacation, bit it isn't truly a Second Chance kit, as it lacks the required documentation.
Kulula_004.JPG

The silver is a new bottle of Old Silver (HA!) a Floquil railroad color.

Draw Decals provide detailed instructions on how to apply their product. FOLLOW THEM!!
I made the mistake of trying to apply the entire port side decal, which is very fine & loverely, but hasn't thick enough carrier film to make handling a large decal simple. I floated Big Ol' decal, submerged the 737, and positioned the model under it, to save buying another set. WHEW! :drinks
Kulula_006.JPG

It came out ok.
Kulula_007.JPG

Advise a little bit of Solvaset under these, and don't fool around too much getting them in position.
Kulula_008.JPG

If these get wet, they float! I used Solvaset to snuggle them down, and was extra careful about handling the 737 for a while.

Beginning to clear coat. Our old friend Future! As advised by Airline Expert, Larry McDermot, of Harlan IA.
22Sept13_Kulula_Flying_101.JPG

Hey Chris you got that looking pretty good :D

I know that clear coat you used is supposed to be very shiny but frankly sounded like a pain . Have you tried Future prior to the decals ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Earplug masks removed. Yes, again with the Chrome. It's my favorite color!
23Sept13_Kulula_1.JPG

Engine intake rings installed. Yep! More Chrome!
23Sept13_Kulula_2.JPG

I know Chrome isn't accurate for the Aux. Power supply Unit, but I couldn't help myself. Ready for a touch of Tamiya smoke!
23Sept13_Kulula_3.JPG

Thanks Chris! When I started the decals, they looked like a Yard Sale in a Trailer Park. It's coming around. I do love to decal. It's what brings the Model to life.

I hadn't done any Armor in many years. I really had a good time with the HO KT! I mostly build ships & Aircraft. The 1/48 Thunderbolt is gonna be way too big, but I can't get the decal sheet I want in 1/72. It will make a statement for all Model Contest Curmudgeons!! HA!

Our Curmudgeon at large is out of range today, fire another salvo at him tomorrow.

Chrome looks good! :popcorn

Holy crap, it never occurred to me to use earplugs to mask off the engine intakes. I've got a 747 in progress at the moment that I think would benefit greatly from using that trick.

I hadn't done any Armor in many years. I really had a good time with the HO KT! I mostly build ships & Aircraft. The 1/48 Thunderbolt is gonna be way too big, but I can't get the decal sheet I want in 1/72. It will make a statement for all Model Contest Curmudgeons!! HA!

Ok, I'll bite. Which one is it ? :idonno I have one planned but it does not involve chrome .

The resident curmudgeon should be back tomorrow evening :rotf

Cheers, Christian

:stinker
I'm positive Ol' Tom is laughing his Bumbie off at me. I swore I'd never do another shiny Airplane, and he I am, in the midst of multiple coats of Future! I was gonna twist the nose wheel as an Omage'. The nose gear is very intricate. Perhaps not. Thanks for your compliments!

Patience, My friend. Starting 20 Oct 2013, all will be revealed. Hint; 397th FS, 368th Fighter Group.

Back