• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wingnuts Gotha

I have some of thos Gas Patch turnbuckles for another kit. I beleive they are 3D printed on a special printer then heat treated. I visited with them and found out that the turnbuckles are then sandblasted to smooth them a little.

I am sure that with all that they could be rather hard and brittle. Something you might try (with a broken one) heat it until it glows orange and allow it to cool. Then see how it bends. The heating should anneal it a bit so it isn't quite as hard and allow it to bend a bit.

Just an experiment to see if it will help and since there are broken ones, put them to a good purpose. :hmmm

I do appreciate everyone's praise for my model. This turnbuckle issue has been very very frustrating for me. There is a total of 52 GasPatch turnbuckles on my plane, 26 per side. Between both wings, I had a total of 15 break on me trying to bend into correct angle.

I dont know about you, buts that's enough to see red. It's live and learn at this point now, and these turnbuckles are not cheap. :bang head

At everyone's wishes, I will give it a few weeks and go from there.

Sorry to hear of of the turnbuckle woes john . That is definitely not a good feature.

I remember building the Tamiya Swordfish and wondering what to do when I got to that point. Disheartening :sick:

Hope you're able to sort the issues soon.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello all, I cannot believe that 2 years have flown by since I started this model. It has set on my table for 2 long years collecting dust. Heck, I have not even touched a model in 2 years.

Started taking some evening classes at the local college, wife woke up one morning with loss of center vision in her right eye. Still doing test for that. About 90% has returned so that's a plus. Some doctors say MS and others do not.

I've decided that I am tired of looking at it and want to be done with it. Hopefully I will have pictures of a finished Gotha within a few weeks.

In those 2 years of sitting, things have broke or been lost but it will be done and out of my hair.

I do not know if I will work on anything after that. I'm just very tired of looking at it and I hate to leave an incomplete topic for people to not know what ever happened to my Gotha.

See ya in a few weeks with a finished model

Can't force art.

If you're not into it, it'll always show in the final product and if it's a chore, then you're not relaxing which is what this is supposed to be.

And if anyone needs some relax time, it's you, hope things look up soon.

This is pretty much where I sit. Just got to do some small rigging, guns, props and small stuff and done.

Dont mind the mess, like I said, that bench has sat dormant for 2 years.

Outstanding work there. Looks like you are close to finishing. Bring it home when you can, but like Ausf said, don't rush it or force it.

This is pretty much where I sit. Just got to do some small rigging, guns, props and small stuff and done.

Dont mind the mess, like I said, that bench has sat dormant for 2 years.

I don't know how I missed this behemoth! I will follow down the home stretch when you're ready!

Regards,

Well the day has come and I am calling this done. The hardest part of the whole build was trying to move and work around once full assembled.

Once again, many apologies for the almost 2 year absence :blush:

Kinda hard taking pictures of something this big. Took some shots inside and outside.

And if I had to do it over again, I would have attached my turnbuckles better so they would have been at the correct angle.

I am not sure If I am going to continue to model. I just needed to get this done to avoid any major damage to it.

Enjoy.

John we've always enjoyed your builds, hope you get your mojo back and share with us. But take care of your self and your family more so.

Great looking Gotha, job well done sir. :notworthy

John that is sensational and well worth the wait. I am thrilled to see you get this finished. I do hope someday to see you return to building again; your work is always so magnificent and I always learn so much watching you. Still, family is more important and always comes first. Take care of them and yourself.

John that is one awesome build you have done on the Gotha. (y) (y)

Don't even worry about how long it took. I am working on a Stuka I started back in 2015, have a GIGANTIC Millennium Falcon that it took 2 years to just get all the parts. I also have 2 80% done shelf queens that date back to the late 80's. I now know some things that I can actually finish them. Both are pretty much collectibles now as well so we shall see.

Others on here have taken long periods to build a kit and the results were much worth the wait so you are in great company! :good:

Don't give it up totally, just pick something small and simple out to build. I actually finished 2 kits in a single month in March. Just had to pick the right kits. :D

Thanks all for the generous replies. Never was my intent for it to drag out this long. Kinda like going to the gym, I'll just take a month off. That then turns into 6 months, a year and you know the rest of the story.

I am in the process of giving my model room a good cleaning as it needs it badly.

They one thing that keeps grabbing my attention in the ole stash is Tamiya 1/32 Birdcage Corsair. I may just do a small 1/48th as suggested and see if I do want to tackle the ole Corsair.

Thanks again for checking out the Gotha. I am happy to have done. It really does take up alot of space on a small table.

Glad you got this one finished. Very impressive and no worries about the time frame , Bob does not charge any extra.

Good thing since I'm notoriously slow :soldier

Cheers, Christian B)

Back