• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wildcat F4F-4 the sequel

It's never going to be done Mike, it has a life of it's own!

I've been playing with the exhaust manifold, ditching the kit part completely and shaping 2mm brass pipe. I heated up the pipe to the point it was red hot and let it air cool. Used a paint lid to shape the curvature and it turned out pretty dang close. Next was the tubing from the exhaust port on the cylinder to the manifold. Just go a rough distance and cut more 2mm pipe to size, trying to be consistent. I rounded down the end of the tube so it would mate with the manifold, a drop of thin CA should secure it then thick stuff to close any gaps. I know there will be gaps!
wildcat153.jpg

Notice the curvature of the outer edge of the Heat Shroud (learned that's the real name), just have to get it consistent all the way around now..

wildcat154.jpg

As you can see I got to get it evened out some. I've said before, symmetry is not my friend. Hey, maybe that's the niche I need, build models as Picaso would have!! :woohoo:

wildcat155.jpg

Here are all the parts before being dryfited. I tell ya, scratch building is pretty fun once you drop inhibitions and stop trying to over think things. You will notice the fancy brass ringything is no where in site. Could not get it to behave the way I am getting the styrene to behave. One thing I did with a couple of the exhaust ports, and if they give me any trouble I'll go back and do them all, I drilled out a 1.5mm hole on the exhaust port and cut a small 1.5mm tube stock to slide in, secured with CA, then I slid the 2mm part over the 1.5 sleeve giving the 2mm tube some more surface to bond to. Created a stronger connection point and somethng I must remember to do on the P47 when that time comes. Best to drill out the ports BEFORE assembly. (this is how crazy I am, I have been toying with the idea of ordering another Vector Engine so to rebuild armed with what I know to do now after working with this one...I've talked myself out of it, 3 times..)

wildcat156.jpg

Here's the full on dry fit, lots of work to do yet! I have to figure out how that manifold works around that raised section on the bottom. Anyone wondering how I'm going to get that Intercooler inside the mounts? Yeah? Well so am I! :woohoo:

You guys are easily impressed...but I do thank ya ;)

I think I figured out how to make the curve of the heat shield contestant. You know how NASCAR has templates to check the shape of the cars? Bingo! :mpup

Just a quick shot tonight to show the template thingy I did

Got the shape from the original kit part, nothing else really to go by
wildcat157.jpg

cut it out of scrape

wildcat158.jpg

and just gauge it from there. Dust flying everywhere and one edge was almost trasparent. slapped on some more Mr. Surfacer and will check it out in the morning.

No updates lately. Ran into a bit of a problem. I dropped the engine and busted a valve cover. attempts to fix have been dismal. Order with Sprue Brothers was placed last night. Will start over completely. The drop may have been my subconscious since I had been thinking about reworking this engine anyway.

Will this will ever end!

Dropped it!???!! D'oh! :X You certainly have more patience than I, I would have turned it into a Flatcat!!! :whistle: :gogo :duh

Doesn't matter , .......... it's all good , ...... stellar design and scratch work !!!!

Remember , ...... where ever you are on this build , ......... well then , there you are .......

Well nearly a month and no update, that's because friends and neighbors, I have been covering lost territory.

I told you about dropping the engine and busting it beyond repair. The new one came in and I just finished it, nearly, this week. What I did not tell you is while playing round with soldering some parts to test, the Heat Shield I scratch made was some how in the blast zone...it crumpled like a dried leaf.

So I had to start from scratch again. I'm really glad I did not give up and worked this part again. I think it came out, or is coming out, much better than the original.

wildcat159.jpg

Here is a really dry test fit of the leading cowl, engine, heat shield. the brass tube up top is the carb intake duct. I heated up some 1/8 brass tubing and squashed. Notched out a chunk of brass and got it to bend down a might to match the curvature of the cowl. I am going to try and make the back of the tube bend down to the carbs on back of the engine, this way the brass will be all one piece.
wildcat160.jpg

A little profile. Mounting hardware needs to be installed on the front cylinder valve covers and a ring installed where the cowl will sit correctly in relation to the engine. This will lead to the cowl mounts that will connect the cowl flaps.

wildcat161.jpg

Also needed is the duct work for the intercoolers. Got a couple of ideas but nothing working yet. Judging from reference pictures this duct work would be sectional and could be removed by sections. That may be my out on getting too complicated...er..yeah, too late.

wildcat162.jpg

Another view, I know what I'm going to do with the exhaust manifold, just don't know how to do it yet.

wildcat163.jpg

From the back in looking forward, this is going to get busy shortly.

wildcat164.jpg

All fitted together, It will sit better when time comes to bring it all together.

wildcat165.jpg

Now the question is, just how much abuse can I dish out???

Hi Moon Pub :laugh: .

The engine looks real good, (again) :S. Maybe you should consider getting rubber floors in your modelling cave ;) . I know that the rubber walls in that room they gave me last year were really cool, and nothing got broke after bouncing off them :pinch: . Some suggestions for the things you are worrying about are. For the brass "squashed" tube, fill it with sand and heat then you should be able to bend it up to about a 90 degree angle. Just experiment a bit before you go to the final piece.Just don't get it to hot, or you will end up with a tube full of glass :blink . And for the exhaust manifold, try some large diamater solder, or possibly some Aves or A&B epoxy putty. Then remember to not drop it before you get those rubber floors :silly: .

Gary B)

Thanks Laura, I really like the way this one turned out over the previous. Gary I think I will try the sand tip, if all else fails I can still cut off at a point and use another piece of brass or even styrene. And I got an idea floating round about the exhaust, at worse, it will kill a couple of hours today.

First off, great looking comeback. Save the engine bits from the broken one. You can probably use them in an armor setting (such as this M3 radial)...
M301.jpg

Regards,

Back