• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

USS TEXAS build.

cousin-eddie-really-nice.gif

Absolutely beautiful work on the Texas. My name is Cole Burge. And I have the same model I plan on building after I finish my work shed. Is there any tips, tricks, or custom work pieces about the model u can give me. I’d really appreciate all the help I can get.

Absolutely beautiful work on the Texas. My name is Cole Burge. And I have the same model I plan on building after I finish my work shed. Is there any tips, tricks, or custom work pieces about the model u can give me. I’d really appreciate all the help I can get.
Hi Cole. Thanks!
The kit builds into a nice representation of the Texas for sure.
The first issue I ran into was in the very first step...haha. I glued the hull halves together with the "bulkheads" in place, but just floating in place (Not glued). This allowed me to make adjustments with the deck set in place temporarily. Once satisfied with the deck fit I glued the bulkheads.
Lots of attention was given to making sure the different bridges that make up the fore & main masts sit on top of each other straight before gluing. They won't without some adjusting. At least mine wouldn't.
The one thing I wish I had done as far as modifying the kit is tapering the tubs around the quad anti aircraft guns. The kit's tubs don't do this. It's an easy fix, and in my opinion would've been a dramatic improvement. Photos of the real Texas show how the tubs should look.
Other details I did do was add the Padeye on the bottom of the hull at the bow. Only a hand full of US Battleships had them, Texas was one.
The mainmast signal flag supports I made from stretched sprue. The other thing I did was replaced the kit's flag staff at the bow with a taller, thinner one, made from stretched sprue. The kit doesn't supply the staff at all for the stern, so I made one. The photetch that comes with the kit is good. I ended up getting another set off ebay. An extra is nice to have for booboo's. There is a company that makes a photoetch super upgrade set for this model, but I just used the kit's.
Overall I'm pleased with the build. When a 1/200 scale version comes out, I'll be all over it!
Good luck on yours Cole and welcome to the group!

Last edited:
Back