• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U.S.S. Texas BB-35 Dreadnought Trumpeter 1/350

I guess I'd go with WWII so that still doesn't tell me if the decks were wood Or Blue Gray I'll call the information office when I get back to work Thursday ... think I'll go ahead and glue the decks down ... aft deck is a bit snug I may have to spread the hull just a bit to get them to drop in ... Well the 'ol lady is playing taps so I must sign off for a bit ... on the big machine ... I can use my Phone in the TV room ... :captain

Ok, WWII she underwent various changes....At some point she had teak decks... Lemme see what I can find fer ya...

http://ww2db.com/photo.php?source=all&color=all&list=search&foreigntype=S&foreigntype_id=305
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/35a.htm

Thanks Ed ... Your just alright ... I don't care about all that stuff they say about ya ... I'll Check those links ... :drinks

Lots of stuff on that last link Ed ... Thanks I have both main decks on and drying ... Pics in the Am ... Gonna hit the rack ... :captain

Ok you fellow ship builder's ... and MA aficionado's ... The Main decks are on ...

hb0bc205.JPG

hb4f94fa.JPG

h3a3f6d2.JPG

h9e13dd0.JPG

now for the PE ... & Guns and Details ... :woohoo:

h69e88b0.JPG

The plans show all the screws and supporting hard ware on next ... I don't see why I can't finish that last ... Less chance of a Mishap ... :captain

Back to the Dry-Dock ... :woohoo:

C&C Welcome .... :captain

I must be getting used to all these ships I just went through the whole thing without getting seasick. :D

Lovely ship and a fantastic record :woohoo:

Thanks Dave great to see your awake ... :salute did you read where they always sent the Texas in 1st ??? ... brings a whole new meaning to " 1st to fight " ... :captain

Looking good Gerry! I don't envy you painting all the deck detail though. That's gonna be interesting.

One strong suggestion I have from several ship builders in my IPMS club: Don't do any P/E on her until the last step! Get all the hull and superstructure assembly done first; that way you're not breaking off and losing any P/E. When it is time to start the P/E, start from top center of the ship and work your way down to the edges. That is the way Sean and Chris do it and they are award winning ship modellers.

Just a suggestion. I'm watching this with great interest.

Ok to continue on with the USS Texas Saga ... :captain

hb2debd9.JPG

hf139fc0.JPG

Added this little out crop on both sides ... I may have to do a little Gap filling ... :skipper

h25ef6bc.JPG

Added the Gun turret two Mount ... :salute

h4ee8a53.JPG

I screwed this up cutting the sprue ports ... even though this is Slide mold technology there must Be Ports ... :woohoo:

h0d676b5.JPG

One Ittiy-Bitty thingy Dangie ...

he95b77a.JPG

Three ... Ittiy-Bitty thingy Dangie ... only dropped the 1st one three times ... then I used tweezers instead of the PE bender much faster ... I only have 100 more Ittiy-Bitty thingy Dangie ... parts to make ... :captain

I need paint ... to proceed ... also need to know what colors as I'm not sure Trumpy knows ...

hdcbed7c.JPG

hf297ffb.JPG

So in my research it is mentioned that during WWII she was painted in Measure 21 ...

Measure 21

On the advice of United States aviators, Measure 11's Sea Blue was replaced by darker

Navy Blue and the scheme designated Measure 21 in mid-1942. Overall Navy Blue (5-N),

with decks in dark Deck Blue (20-B). This measure was used extensively in the western and

southern Pacific from September 1942 through 1945 to minimize detection and identification

by enemy aircraft. "Useful where greatest danger is from the air and high surface

visibility must be accepted... Lowest visibility to aerial observers day and night in all

types of weather. Low visibility under searchlight. High visibility to all surface

observers in all types of weather. " Measure 21 also proved effective under artificial

illumination during night actions. Upper surfaces of aircraft operating from carrier decks

were painted a similar shade of blue. Sailors were ordered to wear dungarees rather than

white uniforms when topside, and white "Dixie cup" hats were dyed blue.

h2525a83.JPG

hde9100f.JPG

h67b376d.JPG

I think I've figured out that they just want these lines scraped off this part oft he deck ... Right ???

:idonno :hmmm :idonno

I believe they want you to remove the lines Gerry. :good:
As for the paint goes, You need to figger out just what era and/or place where she was as there were different schemes. They changed often, plus, the armament & radar, etc changed too.
example: Pearl Harbor vs. Leyte Gulf or even North Atlantic vs the Med.

Well the Texas wasn't at Pearl or since She was 1st to fight she got off and away ... I'm thinking D-day as She was shelling Normandy ... so around 42 or something like that which seems to indicate that the Decks were dark deck blue ... although teak decks are awful prudy ... :captain

Well the Texas wasn't at Pearl or since She was 1st to fight she got off and away ... I'm thinking D-day as She was shelling Normandy ... so around 42 or something like that which seems to indicate that the Decks were dark deck blue ... although teak decks are awful prudy ... :captain

D-Day was 1944 not 42.
Yeah, teak decks are awesome! Think I seen a pic of her with them dated 1940 tho.

What era does the box/ instructions say that the kit represents? Hate for you to try and do a late war build with an early war boat... Lots of changes there... :tomato

Well I worked on this next Bit of the deck all afternoon ... Hard to believe that a couple of pieces that are molded using a slide mold ... cut from sprue & enclosed in it's own little baggie ... :woohoo: ... would have so many tiny seam marks ... :captain

hd24bdd7.JPG

h41cdc2d.JPG

Here's the two pieces ready for Glue ... I must clean and make 6 5-inch guns ... 1st

h4b864e0.JPG

1st one ... ready for paint ... doesn't really look like a 5 incher ... :captain

hdd70c2c.jpg

The Real Mc Coy .... close for being so tiny .... :captain

Nearly got to visit this great ship once. Lucky me,got there on the day they were closed . Haven't bee back to that part of TX since . :smack

Got to love that mystery service from Squadron shop :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

I really luv you guys & gals here ... on the Forum I came from ... when I reported the amount of water She was taking on ... comments were like " the cost of razor blades will be going down soon " :angry: ... but here nothing but respect for this War Hero ... :captain

Back